PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Clutch/Gearbox

Craig
11th August 2008, 05:15 PM
My car was in today for 3 problems which have cropped up over the last few months..

1st is that when the car is cold first thing in the morning, I get a juddering from the clutch. - Does this mean I have a problem with the clutch ? If so, how will it develop?

2nd is that when the car is sitting ticking over with my foot on the clutch, it is silent, when I take my foot off the clutch, it makes a ticking rattle.. - I have been told today by the garage that it is the Clutch Release Bearing and that it's "not excessive". Does this mean that the bearing will eventually fail? what sort of timescale will this take? How will it manifest itself? Will the clutch stop working, or will it just make more and more noise ?

3rd is a burning smell coming into the cabin under hard acceleration (like on yesterday's run). The garage stated that they could not smell anything and that the oil level was fine. I checked the intake of the carb last night and it had traces of oil on the intake. Is this right? If not, what could be causing the burning smell?

Sorry for all the questions, but as I have said before I hope to keep this car and getting "No Fault Found" from the garage, doesn't help me if my clutch/gearbox fails after the car is outside it's warranty.

Thanks

:thumbs up:

Livi
11th August 2008, 05:48 PM
I cant advise you on this craig, but i can give you my thoughts..

Now on my starlet i had the exact same problem as you were having

my problem was just the clutch as it would:

Judder when moving off etc which when i took my clutch out it was paper thin :eek:

and yeah there was a kinda rattle broken bearing sound in which it was needing replaced

now in the clutch kits you will get this bearing as part of a kit

but i do know it can be 5+ hours for changing a clutch in a Mini.

i did have a small scent of smell but nothing major :frown:

Craig
11th August 2008, 06:02 PM
thanks for that David, so what your really saying is because it will be £££, I have to drive around for a few more months with the possibility of my clutch failing so as to save BMW/MINI money.... :thud::frown: <this is not a dig at you, just the "system" ;)

john
11th August 2008, 06:34 PM
1st is that when the car is cold first thing in the morning, I get a juddering from the clutch. - Does this mean I have a problem with the clutch ? If so, how will it develop? Clutch judder can be caused by oil on the clutch plate or knackered plate or even preasure plate, either way a new clutch assembly is the cure.

2nd is that when the car is sitting ticking over with my foot on the clutch, it is silent, when I take my foot off the clutch, it makes a ticking rattle.. - I have been told today by the garage that it is the Clutch Release Bearing and that it's "not excessive". Does this mean that the bearing will eventually fail? what sort of timescale will this take? How will it manifest itself? Will the clutch stop working, or will it just make more and more noise ? If at idle with the clutch pressed in the gearbox is stationery and the release bearing is turning (quietly)......Therefore if it makes a noise when the clutch is released te noise is coming from the first motion shaft bearing NOT the release bearing!!

3rd is a burning smell coming into the cabin under hard acceleration (like on yesterday's run). The garage stated that they could not smell anything and that the oil level was fine. I checked the intake of the carb last night and it had traces of oil on the intake. Is this right? If not, what could be causing the burning smell?Traces of oil in the inlet are quite common, the smell could be oil on the clutch but without seeing the car first hand cant be sure.

Sorry for all the questions, but as I have said before I hope to keep this car and getting "No Fault Found" from the garage, doesn't help me if my clutch/gearbox fails after the car is outside it's warranty.

garage was it?:argh:

I told JCs in Aberdeen when my gearbox had the same problem and they said it was the clutch, three weeks later the first motion shaft bearing colapsed and a new gearbox was fitted.

I did explain that I am a mechanic and I did know what I was on about :thumbs up:

Craig
11th August 2008, 06:49 PM
lets just say John it was a garage near me....:rolleyes:

so from what you are saying, this will get worse and could eventually mean a new 'box ? and the oil could be down to the clutch ?

john
11th August 2008, 07:03 PM
lets just say John it was a garage near me....:rolleyes:

so from what you are saying, this will get worse and could eventually mean a new 'box ? and the oil could be down to the clutch ?

How long is left of the warranty?

Craig
11th August 2008, 07:35 PM
How long is left of the warranty?

I still have ages left (about 14 months) but don't like leaving things to the last minute. Also I am trying to make sure that by telling them early, it stops damage to other things. (if that is possible).

Will just have to see how it develops, but if your at the Manky Thrash, you can see what you think. ;)

ianking
11th August 2008, 09:36 PM
Craig
When I had my 05 cooper it had a noisy droning when at idle unless clutch pedal was depressed. I took it to a garage near you as they supplied said car and they said no fault.
I then took it to a garage near me and they said bearing. Said bearing was replaced and noise went away.

MiniSnaps
12th August 2008, 01:49 AM
If you think that this is something that may end up being a major warranty issue (ie a box) in the near future then I'd advise you to put your concerns to the garage in writing just to be on the safe side and ask for a written reply with their diagnosis of the fault.

With regard to the burning smell, oil and clutch friction material have completely different smells when burning. If it is something dripping onto the exhaust then there will be some evidence of this (like staining). I take it there are no obvious leaks or new stains around the engine bay?

Of course it could just be a slipping alternator drive belt..........

Gismo
12th August 2008, 03:21 AM
My money is on the release bearing being faulty as a minimum from the noise perspective