PDA

View Full Version : LCD TV's

euan
10th August 2008, 06:01 PM
Well, I know you lot are all helpful and knowledgable about these things so I thought I'd sound you out!

I need to get a new TV, so been looking at 32" LCD, in particular, Panasonic. The one I like is the TX32LZD85, which does 1080p, and is 100Hz so should help cancel out any motion blur.

What do you guys reckon? I'm not ruling anything out, but having been into town today it looks to be the best to me.

This is it - LINK (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0015M0PCA/interactiveda3054-21)

Gismo
10th August 2008, 06:25 PM
Ooh yes, another LCD debate :thumbs up:
Mostly dependant on what you want to pay and what you are gonna be watching

Edit: It may be worth trawling through this thread (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=14834)

Another Edit: Find a very good review guide here (http://www.reevoo.com/browse/product_type/Televisions/Screen%20Size%20in%20Inches/32?gclid=CJXYoaDng5UCFQ1gQgoddlKFqg)

euan
11th August 2008, 08:29 AM
Well, at the moment it'll be SD stuff, Freeview mainly with some DVD's. It will be used for gaming, via the Wii. It will in the not too distant future be used for some HD as the plan is to get a PS3 at some point to give us games and the BlueRay player. The long long term plan will be Freesat, giving HD channels.

I tend to keep these things for a while so I want it to cover all the options for at least 5 years.

I guess the real thing is should I go that one, which is more expensive than the other two Pannys, as it does 100Hz and 1080p, or just go for the 100Hz that runs at 720.

Cheers for the links, will have a nose at them.

AndyP & Lenore
11th August 2008, 09:39 AM
Euan, I would definitely go for a 1080p capable set. You will only end up regretting not going for one later, and you will end up buying another set in 2 or 3 years.

I also always advise folk to go for the size up from what they see/like in the shops. By the time it's home and in your living room, it will look smaller than you remember and you'll regret not spending the extra hundred quid or so in going for the 37 instead of the 32. But I realise it's not as easy as this, and you may be in the situation where 32 is your absolute maximum because of your living room layout etc. Just thought I'd put my tuppence in on that.

A.:D

euan
11th August 2008, 11:37 AM
Cheers Andy, I've enough trouble convincing my wife to get a 32 so don't think the 37" would fly! It's not helped that this TV will be going into a short term house we're renting close to work which will then go into our new place when we do eventually move later in the year, and as we've not bought that yet I've no idea what the room layout will be! Will have another look though.

So really, I just need to convince myself that this TV is good value - which I think for the quality of it it's not bad at all, but it is more than I was looking at.

Ferengo
11th August 2008, 12:01 PM
My wife was against getting a 40" LCD until it arrived. Because it was flat and not CRT it didn't take up as much space so she actually ended up liking it (Too much, I never get on it now:ragin:)

Checkout reviews online. I was gonna buy one Samsung TV until i read a review saying the cheaper one in the shop was actually the better one. Best to get someone who actually owns it to tell you what they think and not a sales guy or someone reviewing it that's only had it for like a day, get a persons perspective that's lived with it for a bit.

Also 1080p is a must. I agree with AndyP, you will only regret not getting it.

stoney
11th August 2008, 02:56 PM
Ooh yes, another LCD debate :thumbs up:
Mostly dependant on what you want to pay and what you are gonna be watching

Edit: It may be worth trawling through this thread (http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=14834)

Another Edit: Find a very good review guide here (http://www.reevoo.com/browse/product_type/Televisions/Screen%20Size%20in%20Inches/32?gclid=CJXYoaDng5UCFQ1gQgoddlKFqg)

yep i would say look at the thred i started as well i got a 40" lcd and looks brill the 1080p is a must :thumbs up:

FergusM
11th August 2008, 03:58 PM
Get a "what hi-fi - sound and vision"....great magazine for helping to select a TV with a good review section at the back.

euan
18th August 2008, 12:03 PM
Well, bought the Panasonic TX32LZD85 at the weekend and it's superb! 100HZ makes such a difference!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3113/2772303364_484e5c933e.jpg?v=0

So my next issue is DVD related! Do I get a cheap HDMI DVD player that upscales or just use my PS2 as an interim?

Any if I do go for a cheap DVD, has anyone got any recommendations?

jayex
18th August 2008, 12:50 PM
Nice TV - if you are planning on a PS3 sometime soon anyway i would just make do until then as it upscales normal DVD's and has Blu Ray so you can get full use of you 1080p :thumbs up:

Gismo
19th August 2008, 07:44 AM
You can get cheap DVD Players around the £30 mark that will be region free and upscales for you.
But, as mentioned, get yourself a PS3 and join the rest of the NMS folks online playing COD4 :thumbs up:

euan
19th August 2008, 10:13 AM
I'd be getting thrashed every night playing you lot!

Think I'm pushing it a bit for a PS3 just now, supposed to be saving money again, so might have to leave it till after Xmas. However, PS3 question - what's the noise level of the PS3? Is it fine for watching films or is the fan loud?

Gismo
19th August 2008, 10:29 AM
I'd be getting thrashed every night playing you lot!

Think I'm pushing it a bit for a PS3 just now, supposed to be saving money again, so might have to leave it till after Xmas. However, PS3 question - what's the noise level of the PS3? Is it fine for watching films or is the fan loud?My PS3 doesn't seem to make that much noise, but, Andy reckons his is that loud that he won't use it for DVD's.
My PS3 sits about 15ft away when i have it on so maybe that's the difference, i also play it through a surround sound system, but, in any case, just turn the sound up :yes nod:
And don't be put off by thinking you'd get thrashed every time you played, just ask Andy, he's used to it :rolleyes::D