PDA

View Full Version : remap

G19RNT
7th August 2008, 10:31 PM
hey was just looking for some opinions was thinking o gettin my r50 cooper chipped but does anyone know if main dealers do this?someone told me you can get some sort of chip that increases mpg is that correct?

Gismo
7th August 2008, 10:37 PM
The Cooper is virtually on the limit for what it can have done peformance wise.
It can be remapped, that was something i did with my previous Cooper, but, mainly to cure the stumble.

The dealers will remap it, but, only after installing the Cooper Kit, includes new exhaust etc

There are other options, like the Bluefin, but, you'd need to do some research to see if it's suitable for you

MiniSnaps
7th August 2008, 10:53 PM
It can be remapped, that was something i did with my previous Cooper, but, mainly to cure the stumble.

Stumble...do tell more.......

G19RNT, the likes of Bluefin only gives an 8bhp increase on a Cooper, which seems not a lot for a lot of money. I put a Pipercross filter on mine and the mpg (according to the computer) is slowly rising,only about 2mpg so far, but it's better than a slap in the face with a wet fish :)

Gismo
7th August 2008, 11:03 PM
Stumble...do tell more.......A common fault that made the car move off like kangaroo petrol, certain tuners remaps cured it whereas the BMW dealers couldn't fix it.
I used MTH, not sure how you can get that nowadays

MiniSnaps
7th August 2008, 11:11 PM
A common fault that made the car move off like kangaroo petrol, certain tuners remaps cured it whereas the BMW dealers couldn't fix it.
I used MTH, not sure how you can get that nowadays

Hmm, mine has a very slight "stumble", this might explain it. Does it affect any build years?

Gismo
7th August 2008, 11:16 PM
Hmm, mine has a very slight "stumble", this might explain it. Does it affect any build years?Not sure about what build years, but, how annoying is it when you go to move off from a junction and nowt happens for a second, especially if you're trying to nip out in front of someone :eek:

MiniSnaps
7th August 2008, 11:26 PM
sounds like the same thing. Good to know it's a known problem... I'd even got to the stage of running a diagnostic on the car to see if it threw up any error codes....