PDA

View Full Version : Olympics

Scottie
5th August 2008, 10:18 PM
will anyone else be watching

Gismo
5th August 2008, 10:20 PM
Not sure what time all the live stuff is, so, i'll probably end up watching the highlights every day

euan
6th August 2008, 09:26 AM
Always plan to watch some, though I'm not really into it yet this year. I always enjoy the 100m, rowing, diving (just awesome what they do!) and then get sucked into everything else!

I think most of it is on very late, so I'll be recording stuff to watch back the next day.

john
6th August 2008, 09:35 AM
will anyone else be watching

I think there will be a lot of people :thumbs up:

Just a hunch ;bigwave:

AndyP & Lenore
6th August 2008, 09:57 AM
I think there will be a lot of people :thumbs up:

Just a hunch ;bigwave:

I'm not so sure.:confused:

I don't think the Olympics has anything like the draw it used to have back in the Daly Thomson years.

Certainly, speaking from a business point of view, the Olympics never effects business levels to the same degree as major football tournaments - World Cup / Euro etc.

A.:D

euan
6th August 2008, 11:28 AM
Andy, I agree, and it's probably because the majority of people aren't as passionate about a lot of the sports. There are a few "big names" in the GB team but you'd hardly call anyone a household name now (Paula excepted, and she'll get beat this time as she's not fit).

Andy Murray has a chance in the tennis, and a good run for him would get people's attention.

Colin
6th August 2008, 12:47 PM
I'll be watching bits of it. If an event takes my fancy I'll sit down and watch it, but won't be upset if I miss any of it.

illegalhunter
6th August 2008, 03:32 PM
The womens gymnastics is awesome , judo aswell

Sheilz
7th August 2008, 12:49 AM
I have been known to sit goggle eyed when the gymnastics and diving is on but this year will be going out of my way to not watch any of it.

AndyP & Lenore
7th August 2008, 12:57 AM
I have been known to sit goggle eyed when the gymnastics and diving is on but this year will be going out of my way to not watch any of it.

Shielz, I'm guessing this is a sort of political one-woman embargo. If so, I don't really blame you. I simply don't understand why the IOC would award the games to a communist country with such a chequered history of oppression.:frown:

But let's not turn this thread into a political discussion.:off topic::blush:

A.

Sheilz
7th August 2008, 10:07 PM
I've banned the games from the house. Other half thinks I'm daft and behaving like the Chinese regime to boot. The cry of 'TYRANT' goes up when I enter a room but I dont care :cool:
I just think holding the Olympics in China makes a mockery of everything that the Olympics are supposed to represent - fair play, friendship, co-operation etc. I know I wont change anything but the West could send a message to this oppressive regime by switching their TVs over and not give them the viewing figures usually associated with such an important sporting event.

Scottie
9th August 2008, 10:08 PM
well what a opening ceremony simply amazing. I wonder how we will top that in 2012.

I know a lot of people hold the view that the 2008 games should not have been held in China and I do agree but it won't stop me following it as much as I can.

Gismo
9th August 2008, 11:47 PM
well what a opening ceremony simply amazing. I wonder how we will top that in 2012
Sadly, i feel that the billions it costs to actually host these events is sickening when you consider that the money could be put into the NHS or similar other needy things.

Not trying to get away from the spectacle of the whole thing, but........

euan
10th August 2008, 05:57 PM
2012 - ton of folk in jester hats and morris dancing?

Can't wait :-)

Crombers
11th August 2008, 08:07 AM
So who won it then ?

AndyP & Lenore
12th August 2008, 06:33 PM
Well, does anyone else think this is disgraceful? (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7556058.stm) Way to go to destroy two little lives.

A.:frown:

euan
12th August 2008, 07:08 PM
Well, does anyone else think this is disgraceful? (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7556058.stm) Way to go to destroy two little lives.

A.:frown:

Yeah, not very fair at all! They seem to have made a few stuff ups along the way - the other one was the opening ceremony footage that they had actually made a few days before but showed on the night as live footage.

john
13th August 2008, 03:10 PM
There was a youtube clip here but youtube has removed it from their site.

AndyP & Lenore
13th August 2008, 04:21 PM
Ohhhhhh. That look painful.:frown:

Loved the way the stewards all rushed out with privacy boards so you don't see what's happening. Then they repeat the injury from 3 different angles, giving everyone a detailed view of the guys arm dislocating.:eyes up:. Even the commentators were saying "We don't need to see this again!"

A.

euan
13th August 2008, 04:48 PM
I cringed and didn't watch it all the way through!

Gismo
14th August 2008, 02:38 AM
Looks like it's been removed by youtube as well, kinda glad i didn't watch it :eek:

Scottie
17th August 2008, 05:57 PM
how well did Rebecca Adlington do:thumbs up:

Scottie
19th August 2008, 07:37 PM
The Aussie's are saying we can only win Gold if we have our bums in a seats.:laugh: How jealous are they and how well are we doing :thumbs up::thumbs up:

illegalhunter
19th August 2008, 08:23 PM
Chris Hoy for a Knighthood

Craig
19th August 2008, 08:29 PM
yeah they have all done a fantastic job.... :thumbs up:

I really hope big british businesses turn round and help our athletes do even better for 2012 so that we as a country can put on a great show... :thumbs up::thumbs up: It would be such a shame if this was our best games ever and if the athletes couldn't realise their potential, because not enough investment was put into facilities and sponsorship... :cool:

Scottie
19th August 2008, 08:40 PM
yeah they have all done a fantastic job.... :thumbs up:

I really hope big british businesses turn round and help our athletes do even better for 2012 so that we as a country can put on a great show... :thumbs up::thumbs up: It would be such a shame if this was our best games ever and if the athletes couldn't realise their potential, because not enough investment was put into facilities and sponsorship... :cool:

Listening to the radio, news and stuff I agree what we are seeing today is with the benefit of lottery funding introduced back in day by John Major and I see no reason for things to change for 2012.

euan
20th August 2008, 09:18 AM
The sports that have done well are the ones which have had the most investment and most organised. If you want to be a cyclist, you move to Manchester and work as a team, same with swimming. That's the difference between it and the track, although there are three guys coming through who look like they could get into a final at least.

So it's a simple equation - you get what you pay for. But as the state of the government is such at the moment, they won't invest any more in it before 2012, which is a shame.

However, big up the guys who've done really well!!! Adlington was superb, the cyclists are all brilliant (some size of guys as well - I'm surprised that they can go so fast!).

Smitty
20th August 2008, 03:32 PM
Usain Bolt - INCREDIBLE :D

The 100m final WAS the best thing i've ever seen on TV - but that 200m Final just incredible.

To take the record away from Johnson was somthing else!! :eek::eek:

euan
20th August 2008, 04:18 PM
I've not seen it yet but Johnson thought it would go after he'd watched the 100m final.