PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding a "clique"

lightbody
14th April 2003, 06:09 PM
A lot of the people on this board, and who set up this board, and who have organised/attending MINI2 things know each other.

However for someone such as me who only dips in every now and then due to other committments, I find it a bit annoynig because i dont know who anyone is! For instance I just had to post a message to "wee haggis" because his profile doesn't say who he is in real life.

The danger is that it seems like a small bunch of friends and its difficult for a newcomer to "break in".

Monsta Mo Mini
14th April 2003, 07:12 PM
Rob - the "wee haggis" is the ranking of that member. You'll notice that some folk are "big haggis" others are "big tumshie" depending on number of postings.

As for profiles - it is up to the individual members how much personal information they provide when registering on the forums. Same on MINI2. Simple fact is that some folk are still nervous about putting theire details on the web....

Everyone seems to be using their MINI2 handles in here aswell which helps. Certainly don't want to appear cliquey and do we welcome new members with open arms.

The report was by 3GGG (David)

3GGG
14th April 2003, 10:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by Monsta Mo Mini

Rob - the "wee haggis" is the ranking of that member. You'll notice that some folk are "big haggis" others are "big tumshie" depending on number of postings.

As for profiles - it is up to the individual members how much personal information they provide when registering on the forums. Same on MINI2. Simple fact is that some folk are still nervous about putting theire details on the web....

Everyone seems to be using their MINI2 handles in here aswell which helps. Certainly don't want to appear cliquey and do we welcome new members with open arms.

The report was by 3GGG (David)

I have added my first name to the profile now. Rob, it was me that bought that model MC from you on the Festive run!

Linda M
15th April 2003, 05:51 AM
I just blab everything out and one day I'm going to have some weirdo at my door :I:clown:

john
15th April 2003, 07:21 AM
quote:Originally posted by Linda M

I just blab everything out and one day I'm going to have some weirdo at my door :I:clown:

Wearing a Burberry hat!!!!:D:eek:

Willie M
15th April 2003, 03:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by john

[quote][i]Wearing a Burberry hat!!!!:D:eek:
Nah!! We got a restraining order put out on the particualr weirdo :D:clown:

Gismo
15th April 2003, 06:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by Willie M

quote:Originally posted by john

[quote][i]Wearing a Burberry hat!!!!:D:eek:
Nah!! We got a restraining order put out on the particualr weirdo :D:clown: Point him out at the next meet and i'll make sure he won't annoy anyone ever again :evil:
Rob, i'm sure if you turned up at a scottish new mini meet you would get to see all of us clique peeps in one go.
Sh@z is a prime example of how well everyone gets on, he found the site, he registered for a run, he turned up and took part, same for all the others.
I'm not having a dig at you as i know, from others, that you are heavily involved in the mini clan etc.
But i do find it annoying that we are classed as a clique when we actively encourage people to join in and come along to our get togethers.

Bonnie Scotland aka Alan..

lightbody
15th April 2003, 07:20 PM
Sorry!! Point taken.

I was on the Festive Run but haven't been able to attend anything recently... partly because they've involved large mileages and I'm completely broke!!

Now let me try and work out who everyone is...

Bonnie Scotland - Alan - huge wheels & Hartge

3GGG - David - beard, indi blue coop, & I sold my model to him

"zooom" on MINI2, "John" on here? - John Barrie (?) - Aberdeen Classic Mini guy and pergrine alarms! Met, briefly in Ireland last year and addressed him as zoom coz i didnt know his real name!

Linda & Willie I know, and their profile names give a clue ;)

KNAONE - David - I know from his former Clan days

Monsta Mo - Calum introduced himself to me at the Festive run (Thanks!) but I didn't know any Calums and wondered who he was at the time!

Willie M
15th April 2003, 08:36 PM
No need to apologise Rob :) To be honest I felt a little bit the same when I first signed up on the Mini Clan bb. It was only by going along to the meets that I got to know some of the folks and managed to put 'login names' to faces :D

Some other pen pics for you:

Julz - BabyB's mummy (EB/W 'S' with saltire on roof), about to get married to boyfriend Rob.

Fontal - (Richard) Not sure if he really exists as I've never actually met him ;) Lives on Shetland so he does have a wee excuse.

GAJ - (Gary) Edinburgh crew, attacked the ford with styleee on the Borders Run :cool:

Wul - (Wul) Does exists, met him briefly before the Festive Run but sadly we ain't seen him since. I think Bonnie Scotland scares him :evil::clown:

Satelite - (Duncan) Exists in part, you see him from time to time on runs but he often disappears on his own wee excursions during events :D You'd think with a name like Satelite he'd know where he was :clown:

Shoppie - (Howard) Our Arbroath entrepreneur (sp?). About to take ownership of a shiny new ONE, having destroyed his first one ;):I

Bod - (Mark) His sat-nav doesn't like cold weather but it doesn't stop him getting along to most the events. A Carnoustie man.

Scott Shand - Our own in-house boy-racer and chef :cool: He's had more MINI's than I've had for goodness sake. If you're ever going to the Carnoustie Hotel, Scott's yer man :)

Ken L - (Ken) Edinburgh observatory's resident MINI guru :D Occassionally get sent to Hawaii (poor chap). ;)

BPirie1000 - (Brian) Proud owner of shiny new MINI and classic mini van :approve:

Moonshine - (Gerry) Written off more MINI's than you could shake a large stick at ;):D Top bloke, another who is about to get hitched :clown:

Sh@z - Another of the Edinburgh crew, made his debut on the Borders Run. Very cool all black Cooper with aero-kit :cool:

Apologies to those I've missed but I've gotta go do some work now :clown::)

I'm sure someone else will fill in any gaps I may have left.

Linda M
15th April 2003, 09:17 PM
Have you not got any work to do today :question::evil:
I know you know me Rob but anything for a mention........I've got Daisy.......who is the COOOOOOLEST MINI :clown: I'm getting addicted to that 'clown' face, it's brilliant :D

lightbody
15th April 2003, 10:37 PM
You could get a clown face like that for Daisy's Roof Linda?

lightbody
15th April 2003, 10:45 PM
I'm thinking that a page, like the posts above, would be a great idea to introduce everyone to everyone else ... what do you reckon? Especially where login names/profiles aren't giving much of a clue!

That was my main point really... matching up names on here to real people. Some threads mention a person's first name, but that means little if their profile doesn't mention it - if you see what I mean...

I'm taking these points on board and thinking of applying them to the Clan BB!!

Linda M
15th April 2003, 11:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by lightbody

I'm thinking that a page, like the posts above, would be a great idea to introduce everyone to everyone else ... what do you reckon? Especially where login names/profiles aren't giving much of a clue!
That was my main point really... matching up names on here to real people. Some threads mention a person's first name, but that means little if their profile doesn't mention it - if you see what I mean...

Not a bad idea.....'an introduction to posters page'...OK, so someone can word it better :clown: It would be ok as long as we don't get as big as MINI2, then we'd spend our whole lives updating it :eek:

Monsta Mo Mini
16th April 2003, 05:59 AM
I'll set it up as a new forum then. A section in the main site would mean me spending even more time battering away at this keyboard....8):clown: