PDA

View Full Version : Looks like my mini will be going.... :(

FergusM
1st August 2008, 12:44 PM
So...I got a job offer and am accepting it. As part of the new job comes a boring company car (Mondeo)...which probably means the mini will be going.

I am investigating what allowance I would get to run the mini but I have heard that I will do a lot of miles, and would be on a lot of building sites...so that would be bad for running my own car.

...annoying thing is that it is just over a year old, only done 8k miles...and I will loose thousands on it when it goes. I spec'd it the way I wanted, got mikey to upgrade the stereo etc as I thought I would have it for years... think selling will be a painful experience.:argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

Big Gordy
1st August 2008, 12:59 PM
Stick it in the garage and just keep it as a weekend plaything:thumbs up:
It will be a struggle to sell it........the market is as flat as a pancake what with this so called credit crunch and the like :ragin:

FergusM
1st August 2008, 01:52 PM
That is an option...but in end will end up just going down in value month after month...and will end up being taxed for a company car so loosing even more !

Plus with having 2 young kids the chances to get out at weekends for a blast in the car are few and far between.

Crombers
1st August 2008, 01:54 PM
That is an option...

That's that settled then,

just keep it :thumbs up:

FergusM
1st August 2008, 01:57 PM
It is what I suggested to my other half...did not go down favourably...so options are really sell...or run as the company car...

Plus...2 months notice till I start my new job...so will take off the private plate and then start to advertise...if it sells I can buy a banger till my company car comes...if it does not sell then look more into running it for a bit as a company car....and then of course it might never sell and I'll end up keeping it :)

It is not me that needs convincing... will have toi work on the other half more.

...but I should add the thought of a fully paid car, with no worries about running costs etc does sound appealing !

Big Gordy
1st August 2008, 02:32 PM
I hear where your coming from bud but what it loses in depreciation over say the next year you may lose in one hit if you have to keep dropping the price to get it to sell.......does that make sense:confused:

ianking
1st August 2008, 02:45 PM
It sounds like you are in a bit of a pickle Fergus.

The one thing that wouldnt upset me is a fully paid company car. For a mondeo D you will prob pay about £160 per month in tax.

Taking the Mini on site aint the best idea. It will get filthy. I used to take mine on site but I was getting a torrent of abuse from the workies, 'a ya wee puff' and such things like 'nice hairdressers car' amongst many others. Now I just take a wee transit connect or one of the seat leon pull cars.

Selling private is always going to fetch more than selling it to a dealer. When simply selling to a dealer you get less than it would be as a trade in as they are not making money at the other side of the deal by selling you a new motor.

If your work are going to order you a new mondeo you could always ask the supplying ford dealer if they would work out a price to take it from you as a sort of P/X.

FergusM
1st August 2008, 02:45 PM
Unfortunately yes.....I have spent over £22k on the car...so the drop will be terrible in one year..

I bought the mini thinking I would keep for approx 4 years...and depreciation over that time would make it relatively "cheap".

.....assuming I can sell it someone is going to get a bargin...

FergusM
1st August 2008, 02:49 PM
It sounds like you are in a bit of a pickle Fergus.

The one thing that wouldnt upset me is a fully paid company car. For a mondeo D you will prob pay about £160 per month in tax.

Taking the Mini on site aint the best idea. It will get filthy. I used to take mine on site but I was getting a torrent of abuse from the workies, 'a ya wee puff' and such things like 'nice hairdressers car' amongst many others. Now I just take a wee transit connect or one of the seat leon pull cars.

Selling private is always going to fetch more than selling it to a dealer. When simply selling to a dealer you get less than it would be as a trade in as they are not making money at the other side of the deal by selling you a new motor.

If your work are going to order you a new mondeo you could always ask the supplying ford dealer if they would work out a price to take it from you as a sort of P/X.

I will have a word with them about P/X....but obviously prefer a private sale. Fact it has the TLC pack, almost 2 years warranty left should help...i hope...

what you said just confirmed what I thought about keeping the mini...I love it way to much to get it trashed on building sites...

Fairy
1st August 2008, 03:21 PM
Noooooooooooooo......Dont Sell your Mini!!!!!!!!!!!!!:shut up:
Seriously....ive been there, done that and regretted it so bad!
Well done with your new position but you should just keep your Mini in a garage and use it on weekends!!!! :thumbs up:

Just my opinion like but would rather warn someone about the huge regret you'll feel the minute you hand those keys over!!! :argh:

Gismo
1st August 2008, 03:24 PM
If you're considering a banger anyway, do you really need to sell ;)

FergusM
1st August 2008, 03:28 PM
Car is paid for...no HP / load etc...so easier to justify keeping...

....but with starting a new job it is really my redundancy fall back money so it is not really a good idea to have it all tied up in a car...

FergusM
1st August 2008, 03:29 PM
One other option...my father might buy it off me...if he did then I can keep and eye on it...and borrow it now and again...

...might be the ideal solution...

Burple
1st August 2008, 03:46 PM
tHat totally sounds like a plan!! :thumbs up::cool::D

ianking
1st August 2008, 03:46 PM
One other option...my father might buy it off me...if he did then I can keep and eye on it...and borrow it now and again...

...might be the ideal solution...

Yeah and you could borrow it for MINI runs.

FergusM
1st August 2008, 04:24 PM
So I asked him if he was serious...and he said....No... dooh... think the fact I am looking for about £17k+ was enough to put him off...dohh... that would have been perfect

illegalhunter
1st August 2008, 05:06 PM
My Type R is on a building site every day , it dont do it any harm. What job have you taken then?

Craig
1st August 2008, 05:10 PM
Sorry to hear the good/bad news Fergus... <there goes my exhaust sale...:thud::yes nod: ;)>

All the best in the new job... don't sell...!! :popcorn:

MiniSnaps
1st August 2008, 05:27 PM
So I asked him if he was serious...and he said....No... dooh... think the fact I am looking for about £17k+ was enough to put him off...dohh... that would have been perfect

I think you might struggle to get £17k privately, there are some in the main agents at around the same sort of money and a lot of stuff in that price range is taking a big drop in the book each month.

Would you not be better seeing if you can get a cash alternative to the lease car from your new employer, buying a 3 year-old diesel repmobile with that and keeping the Mini, for a weekend toy as previously suggested?

FergusM
1st August 2008, 05:29 PM
My Type R is on a building site every day , it dont do it any harm. What job have you taken then?

Working for Otis lifts....as a project manager.

FergusM
1st August 2008, 05:30 PM
I think you might struggle to get £17k privately, there are some in the main agents at around the same sort of money and a lot of stuff in that price range is taking a big drop in the book each month.

Would you not be better seeing if you can get a cash alternative to the lease car from your new employer, buying a 3 year-old diesel repmobile with that and keeping the Mini, for a weekend toy as previously suggested?

Possibly I will struggle...but it has low milage, tons of kit...and at 17k I am loosing 5k ! Hopefully a big enough drop from new to get someone interested....

...I can but try...

...and will be asking for more details on the cash alternative...

illegalhunter
1st August 2008, 05:52 PM
I take the car allowance and the mileage money. The Govt says your entitled to 40p per mile tax relief. I got £2k of a refund from HMRC+£3.5k form my company in mileage money. Now you need to get 35ishmpg to make it pay.HMRC is looking at upping the 40p due to us being RAPED @ the pumps