PDA

View Full Version : Stolen: Wing Mirror Backs

Tahra
24th March 2004, 12:58 AM
Hi folks, Mr (nor Mrs) Tahra here...

Just back from a weekend at Crieff Hydro. Great weekend spoiled only by the fact some little **** pinched Mini's ears - the chrome official Mini wing mirror backs - right outside the entrance to the Hydro.

Damned annoying, and at £70 a pair, Mini's ears aren't worth claiming on the insurance but still... still... grrrrr.....

So, if anyone offers you a pair (no questions, cheap cheap) or you know someone who has suddenly acquired a pair, let us know...

Next time it could be you!!!

John (with Tahra hovering over my shoulder to make sure I don't write anything too extreme and threaten to wreak revenge on said ****, ****'s family, etc.... we Mini folks have long memories... :) )

zimbo
24th March 2004, 01:10 AM
Thats rediculous!!! right outside the entrance to the Hydro... Try getting compensation from them. I hate thieving b******s... :mad:Grrrrrrrr

Sorry to hear that it has happened though.:disapprove:

Starky
24th March 2004, 02:19 AM
That's crap, hope the theivin git's next sh*t's a hedgehog.

macblob
24th March 2004, 04:18 AM
Sorry to hear about that, lil Bas**ards everywhere these days :disapprove:

duncan
24th March 2004, 04:29 AM
Sorry to hear that, its pretty poor.
I take it the hydro has no CCTV footage of the atrocity?

3GGG
24th March 2004, 05:05 AM
Unbelievable! - Hard to believe that happening in Crieff.

GAJ
24th March 2004, 05:34 AM
I blame chuck! Little hooligan!
Seriously though, that's a total 'mare. I feel your pain, as our transatlantic cousins might say.

KenL
24th March 2004, 06:00 AM
Whoever did this must have knowledge of MINIs :mad:

Who else would know that it is relatively easy to remove the mirror caps :disapprove:

If it is a MINI owner I hope they drive off a cliff - w*nkers :evil:

Wul
24th March 2004, 06:26 AM
Gutted for you guys! That's a real nightmare!

monkimagic
24th March 2004, 09:33 AM
Bad news guys, I reckon the person knows what they are doing and its worth keeping a look out for them if on sale.

Monki

Willie M
24th March 2004, 04:29 PM
That is truly shocking Tahra & John :mad:, right on our doorstep to, so to speak. Especially right at the Hydro's front door :mad::mad:

Agree with KenL, certianly sounds like someone who knew what they were doing. Linda and I will keep our eyes peeled on the local MINI population.

Sorry your weekend in our wee toon was ruined by a theiving little sh*t :evil:

Gismo
24th March 2004, 06:33 PM
Gotta be thinking along the lines of the Hydro having something set up, if they don't have the obligatory "owners park their car at their own risk" then i'd be having a word with them :(

Mini Martyn
24th March 2004, 06:54 PM
Bas#*rds!!:evil:

Linda M
25th March 2004, 08:43 PM
I find this rather strange that this should happen right outside the Hydro entrance. The Hydro is one of the busiest hotels I've ever seen and you don't get 'neds' hanging about it. Also it has some 'fantastic' cars parked about at the weekends, I would have no problem parking Daisy in one of its car parks. I think you were just an unlucky one off.

Tahra
25th March 2004, 09:32 PM
John here: naturally, we spoke with the duty manager and they are going to check their CCTV to see if it's been caught on camera. New mirror backs have been ordered and we should get them today. I'm willing to put a bounty on the head of whoever pinched our mirror backs. A litre bottle of cask strength Macallan to the first person to bring me the cuplrit's head on a stick (or, failing that, their address ;) )...

I don't know if there's any mileage re: claiming against the Hydro. Whether or not they had a sign saying 'cars parked at owner's risk' is not the point - they didn't pinch the mirrors (I hope!) and so to pursue them would be pernicious and would probably be futile.

If anyone does hear or see ANY silver wing mirrors for sale, or notices that a Mini has suddenly gone from black/white to silver 'ears', let me know. I'm watching Ebay and keeping my eyes and ears open too... would appreciate any help you can give me...

It's not the money, it's the principle of the thing, darn...

John

Willie M
26th March 2004, 04:25 PM
I know it isn't any comfort John but I believe the majority of hotels have a 'vehicles parked at owners risk' type of policy / philosophy :( I don't honestly think you'd have much joy trying to pursue it with the hotel (or any hotel for that matter).

Hopefully the CCTV will come up with something. If it does, it might be worth having a word with the police too.

We'll certainly keep our eyes peeled on the local front for you.

Tahra
26th March 2004, 05:14 PM
John here again: got the replacement backs yesterday - £70 can you believe??? - but what was really interesting is that that is still cheaper than the cost for replacement black backs - £90! - no idea why this should be...

I'm thankful for the small mercy that whoever removed the backs knew what they were doing and didn't mark the rest of the mirror or car at all. Will fit the new backs in time for the run on Sunday.

Willie, I think you misunderstood me there, mate. Whether they had such a disclaimer or not wasn't really the point - it's just that the honourable thing to do would be to take it on the chin as it wasn't the hotel's fault and pursuing them would have been pernicious and somewhat nasty. I hate the way that the world is evolving into a sue-you blame culture, and the mirror issue isn't anything to do with them other than the fact that it was their car-park - could just as easily have been a Tesco, or an NCP or whatever. You don't expect these things but we all know that it can happen anywhere...

Meanwhile, plans to take Cooper S to 250bhp have been shelved as we've just signed on the dotted line for a Mozovlovski conservatory and extension at the back of the house which means cash is going to be tight for a while. Think TLC will have expired by the time we can afford to go hyper-powered anyway...

I digress...

John

Willie M
29th March 2004, 04:28 PM
Guess I kinda misread your post John 8)