PDA

View Full Version : R56 Spotlight Query

Ferengo
31st July 2008, 03:31 PM
Hi there.

I need some help. I want to have 4 spotlights on the grill on my R56 mini cooper. I want to retain the original chrome but I understand I have to replace the black grill behind this to fit spotlights. I also am aware that the grill isn't designed for 4 spotlights but the guy at John clark said they have done it but it's hard to do.

My questions is, If I have a bracket for 4 spotlights that fits the R56 can I use original BMW mini spotlights and not R56 ones? Is the wiring the same? As I understand it's just the grill bit and brackets that cause the problem when fitting, is this correct?

Thanx,

JOHN MILNE
1st August 2008, 09:56 AM
I have fitted spotlamps to my R56 cooper
the black backing frot the grille slats has a bigger slot between the lower two slats fot the lamp brackets to slide through

the lamp brackets are screwed to the bumper mounting and stick through the grille

i fitted the mini accessory lamp using mini instructions

i assume if your bracket could be fitted to these mounts it should be suitable
and they are just wired up as normal using appropriate relay's and fuses

hope this helps a bit

Ferengo
1st August 2008, 10:47 AM
Thanks, That does help a little bit. The bracket I have is for the R56 spot lamps so this would fit on the grill anyway. I'm actually wondering if spot lamps for the older Mk1 BMW mini will fit on R56 brackets and if the wiring and clips for the older lamps will fit in with the R56 wiring?

JOHN MILNE
1st August 2008, 11:06 AM
the mark 1 mini spotlamps were a single bolt fitting
the bracket had a single hole in it where the lamp went through the haole and was held in place by a nut
the R56 lamps are 2 bolt fixing wher the bolts go through the side into the lamp itself
the later brackets would have to be modified somehow for the older lamps to fit

Ferengo
1st August 2008, 11:38 AM
Hi John. This has helped a lot, thanx.

Noticed from your pics that you have both the old and new BMW mini. Did you fit spotlights yourself to both? If so how easy ans similar was it? Just the last bit now is if the wiring for the old lamps will fit ok with the R56 wiring.

I have managed to track down a pdf of the BMW fitting guide but it seems to suggest that you need a switch where the knee protection is. I thought that it was wired to the main beams?

JOHN MILNE
1st August 2008, 12:21 PM
i never fitted the r53 ones the were done by dealer

the r56 was easy enough but i used wiring kit supplied with spots
tere was no switch fitted on either motor both were wired to main beam
dont think harness is the same for both as R53 wiring was attatched to bonnet where as r56 aint

Ferengo
2nd August 2008, 03:01 PM
Hi John. Any chance you have the wiring diagram for the R56 headlights? Thanks.

JOHN MILNE
3rd August 2008, 12:40 PM
i have them how would you like me to send them to you
if you have access to a fax machine i could fax them from work
if not send me a pm with your address and ill post them to you

Ferengo
10th August 2008, 10:43 PM
Hey John. Thanks for the instructions.

Got the spotlights the other day but had a go and I think it's way beyond me. Have posted a quote for JC to do the work cause I'll end up breaking something.

Ended up with two sets of lights so thinking on having 4 spots ont he front anyway and that's a tough job according to JC.

Cheers anyway man. :thumbs up: G.