PDA

View Full Version : Interesting iPhone/iPod Touch App

RyanK
30th July 2008, 06:33 PM
Taken From the website:

Introducing: Dynolicious

Dynolicious is the first automotive performance meter available for the iPhone and iPod Touch. Dynolicious uses the hardware built in to your iPhone to measure the performance characteristics of your vehicle. No external wires or equipment is necessary, simply slip the iPhone into a cradle of cup holder and go!

Some of the performance metrics in which Dynolicious can measure:

0-60 acceleration
1/4 mile elapsed time
Lateral G's
Horsepower
Unlike other accelerometer-based performance meters, Dynolicious uses the advanced data-handling and display capabilities of the iPhone to make the most of your performance testing. Dynolicious maintains a history of test runs, showing your averages and trends in your results. Dynolicious also allows you to enter modifications performed to your vehicle, and will instantly show before-and-after results to easily identify gains or losses.

Here is the website - http://www.dynolicious.com/

And some chat about the product on another forum - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159715

For £7.00 odd im gonna get it, try and get a hold of it tonight and get out for a 'test' :thumbs up:

Forbes
30th July 2008, 09:50 PM
Might aswell, be intresting to see

jayex
30th July 2008, 10:32 PM
will be interested to see how this does

Smitty
31st July 2008, 12:30 AM
I'd be a bit dubious on the fact it can measure HP....surely not?? :eek:

Please prove me wrong though!

SimonS
1st August 2008, 11:06 AM
I downloaded this and gave it a try last night.

0-60 in 11.68s
0-100 in 18.62s

1/4 mile in 18.82s

Max acceleration 0.49g

Peak horsepower 5814HP

Results seems about right......... for a Fokker 70!

Forbes
2nd August 2008, 02:03 PM
DOwnloaded last night, but due to wet roads my results are rather poor. Will post when i get a dry day

Forbes
4th August 2008, 02:21 PM
Do these figures seem right, i think 0-60 is

0-60 in 9.73s
0-100 in N/A

1/4 mile in 16.63s

Max acceleration 0.72g

Peak horsepower 441HP

The Horsepower and 1/4mile seem way out to me

Smitty
4th August 2008, 02:31 PM
1/4 mile might be about right, maybe a little to quick but the bhp is VERY wrong mate. Unless your packing 2 tuned S engines under your bonnet!

Forbes
4th August 2008, 02:34 PM
Well actually its one under the bonnet one where the back seats used to be:rolleyes:

Its HP rather than BHP, is there a difference, seems low compared to SimonS - He must have a couple of truck engines

Wait for a engine person to arrive:eyes up:

Smitty
4th August 2008, 08:08 PM
HP and BHP are the same thing as far as I'm aware, it's just missing out the "B" (brake) in front of it. I'm sure HP is how the americans refer to it, while we refer to it as BHP.

I really think the BHP readings are a load of rubbish. Have a quick google of "fokker 70" and you might understand why SimonS is doubting his results!!

I understand how the app could calculate the 0-60 and 1/4 times using the GPS but I just don't understand what features of the iPhone's technology it is using to calcuate BHP.

Just for reference a standard Cooper puts out 120bhp (I think) :computer:

Hope this clears things up Ben! :thumbs up:

Smitty
4th August 2008, 08:32 PM
After a bit of digging through the E90 forums I can know understand how this works - uses the accelerometer - the sensor that detects the phone being spun from potrait to landscape.

The guys on there seem to be getting "fairly" accuarate results with the BMW's but all seem to need a few shots at different positions of the phone in the car and different settings (weight mainly).

I'm beginning to come round to the idea now!! Perhaps you should give it another bash Ben? :yes nod:

Forbes
4th August 2008, 09:12 PM
PLan is to tonight. But going to stick it flat somewhere. So that it cannot move

RyanK
5th August 2008, 08:53 AM
Mine was in the cupholder...managed an 8.7 to 60 and it stopped calculating at 72mph. Quite happy considering standard is 10.9!

Forbes
5th August 2008, 09:23 AM
Last night i got 0-60 in 8.65 with a 148HP which is a bit better, although i do just have a standard cooper

Smitty
5th August 2008, 09:45 AM
Readings are seeming a bit more accurate now. Have you tried sticking it flat on the we cubby hole to the right of the steering wheel, above the adjuster the the light beam level? That could be ideal for keeping it flat.

Think I might purchase this app for myself now!! :D

Keep the updates coming lads :thumbs up:

RyanK
5th August 2008, 05:58 PM
I didn't manage to get the horsepower, didn't take the time to calibrate mine :popcorn:

I will do it someday :thumbs up: