PDA

View Full Version : sound systems for r 56

stephen forrest
28th July 2008, 05:56 PM
does any one know how to get a new sound system for the r 56 since there is no parts of to change the head unit please let me know

Craig
28th July 2008, 06:02 PM
Ian King has a full set of speakers and amp which was in his R56 and he raved about it. Also at a VERY good price now I believe. ;)

If you are talking about changing the head unit, I don't think there are any options to do that at the moment... :rolleyes:

FergusM
28th July 2008, 07:35 PM
Upgrade Ian is selling is excellent. It makes a massive difference in the sound. Just have to make sure you can fit it...or get someone to fit it. It is not a small job to take car / dash apart.

AndyP & Lenore
28th July 2008, 07:46 PM
It is not a small job to take car / dash apart.

I'd agree with that.

Here's a couple of pics I took when I was down at Mikey's. It's not MY car that's been ripped (carefully disassembled) apart, thankfully.

http://www.reachercreatures.com/MINI/R56_HIFI_UPGRADE1.jpg

http://www.reachercreatures.com/MINI/R56_HIFI_UPGRADE2.jpg

A.:D

illegalhunter
28th July 2008, 08:56 PM
It looks ahell of a job, but the orignal set up is so pants

stephen forrest
28th July 2008, 09:49 PM
i found out the night that alpine does a hub for it which means i can put amps of sat nav etc in to the car with the standered head unit wot do u think would be the beter opp to do

FergusM
29th July 2008, 10:34 AM
I have the newministuff setup installed in mine...and love it. Good thing is that when it is in you can't tell that it is there. He does and excellent job of taking car apart and putting back together.

I can't comment on the Alpine setup..but have never read of anyone having it fitted on mini2 etc. I assume it is still a matter of stripping the car and changing all the bits. Can't see if being cheaper than buying bits of Ian...

Mini MoJo
29th July 2008, 01:03 PM
does any one know how to get a new sound system for the r 56 since there is no parts of to change the head unit please let me know

Skidz in Falkirk did our sound system on the R56 and it sounds bloody amazing! We have 6x9s in the back panel, 2 amps and a sub in the boot. If you want more info i can get my other half to speak to you... :computer:

Thanks
Mary-Jo

stephen forrest
29th July 2008, 06:19 PM
skidz told me that there was not much that they can do for the mini r56 they told me that i could not get any amps in to my car because of the head unit. i do have alpine type r speakers from my last mini that i was thinkin about puttin in to the car to see how they were with the normal unit but the chance is i would need to put a amp in

stephen forrest
29th July 2008, 06:20 PM
i dont think it will be cheeper but it is a good price that ian is selling it for

FergusM
29th July 2008, 07:03 PM
Think any speaker etc that you put in will be an improvement... to drive them properly you would still have to get something more than the standard head unit to drive them. And that is the one bit you can't change.

You could buy the wiring loom adaptor from newministuff and then add your own amp / speakers..

...but buy gear from Ian would be easiest way (fitting aside)...and you would know that it all fits etc. I know newministuff adapt the rear tweeters on the 6x9's they fit so that they fit in the standard grill...might find your alpines dont fit without something being adapted. He also adds sound deadening, and re-wires everything...hard to duplicate without knowing what you are doing.

....or just go the whole hog and drive to liverpool and get it all upgraded in a day...by someone that knows how to take apart the car and get it back together. Mine has less rattles than before it was done.

FergusM
29th July 2008, 07:09 PM
And I should add if you want to hear what the system would sound like...just let me know and we can arrange to meet..

ianking
29th July 2008, 08:11 PM
The amp site under the seat for this system.

My mate fitted it all for me as he des this kind of a thing for a living.

You could always buy mine then drive down and get Mike to fit it if you cant get a local place to do it.

There is always MRD at Bathgate. They done an install on my first mini. They used to have a mini as a demo car.

stephen forrest
29th July 2008, 09:14 PM
i am just trying to find out the cost of getting it fitted i just have to watch the pennys as going on holiday soon i was hoping some one around here could fit it but every one said they would get back to me.

Gismo
30th July 2008, 05:16 AM
Get Mikey to fit it, ask him for a price, he'll get back to you :thumbs up:
Plus, you'll have the confidence to know it's been done right

stephen forrest
30th July 2008, 07:33 AM
the thing is that he is down in liverpool and i have not got the time to go down there i am to busy with work

Gismo
30th July 2008, 07:45 AM
the thing is that he is down in liverpool and i have not got the time to go down there i am to busy with workAye, i'm lucky cause i get a month off at a time and can easily find the time to nip down for a day or two.
On a previous excursion i went down on a friday, stopped overnight and drove back on the saturday once he'd finished, might be an idea for you

stephen forrest
30th July 2008, 09:28 AM
how long does it take to get down there?i am going to ask mrds to see if they can do it as that is closers and i know they do a good job