PDA

View Full Version : Puncture Repair in Edinburgh?

Wul
22nd March 2004, 10:24 PM
I know this has been asked soooo many times - but where did people in Edinburgh get their run-flats repaired?

700 miles in and my 17" Pirelli has a puncture already!:disapprove::dead:

Wul
22nd March 2004, 10:25 PM
Oh forgot to add....it is a screw in the back tyre - smack bang in the first groove in from the outside edge!

KenL
22nd March 2004, 10:51 PM
Bummer.

Did it happen on a building site Wul? Can you not get your work to pay?

Wul
22nd March 2004, 11:04 PM
Dunno where it happened Ken - got the dreaded PING! on Saturday morning and thought at first it was the dealer putting stupid pressures in (35psi,31psi fronts :: 38psi, 26psi rears).

Then checked again today and the rear had dropped to 28psi in 2 days - so had a look and there was the offending screw.

Can probably get the repair done at work through kwik-fit mobile but wondered where the rest of the gang had theirs done - MMM has had one repaired if I remeber rightly.

Monsta Mo Mini
22nd March 2004, 11:12 PM
Your friends and mine....Dunedin! just make sure they 'repair' the correct tyre. £15 a pop...as it were! It was a screw that punctured mine.

Wul
23rd March 2004, 12:31 AM
Cheers Calum - will call them and see how much they want.

Wul
23rd March 2004, 12:47 AM
Calum - just called Dunedin - guess what - they now won't repair the 17" pirelli tyres! Is that not the tyre you have/ had on your car?

GAJ
23rd March 2004, 12:48 AM
National charge a tenner. It might be a bit near the sidewall though. I think that they recommend that you only repair the middle third.
Oh! And National also scratch the rims!!

KenL
23rd March 2004, 02:04 AM
Wul,

Just had a look on the Pirelli website. A huge PDF file about Euforias on there say something like "Pirelli does not recommend repairing the tyre"

Perhaps just get on the phone to all the tyre fitting places around town and ask if they can deal with runflats and if they'll repair a puncture on one.

I cannot for the life of me see why it shouldn't be done as long as the stiff sidewall is not weakened. They will not repair a puncture on a normal tyre with a hole in the sidewall anyway.

Did you not get round to getting the Tyresafe stuff yet?

Monsta Mo Mini
23rd March 2004, 03:24 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

Calum - just called Dunedin - guess what - they now won't repair the 17" pirelli tyres! Is that not the tyre you have/ had on your car?

That's new! I've never had any problems with the repaired tyre(s). Still running them.

Vosh
23rd March 2004, 06:43 AM
I had to replace my rear 17" a couple of weeks ago (650miles only, grief!). Bloody huge nail, near the sideweall, they took one look at it and said it was knackered.

Although I was talking to someone today about it and they were going on about a place across the road from Eastern's service area. Up the slip road there is a small industrial estate and I was told there was some place there that did tyre repairs. Don't know if the info is correct or not, but might be worth a wee look?

Wul
23rd March 2004, 06:34 PM
GAJ - the screw is about 1.5 inches in from the side wall so think it should be fine.

Ken - already phoned them all - Dunedin, Hi-Q, New Life, National - they all said the same thing - sorry mate we can't repaire it! And no - haven't had time to get to Seafield Coachworks yet! :(

MMM - Tell me about it - last year i'm sure it was the goodyears that couldn't be repaired - now they say they can - go figure!

Vosh - the place you are referring to is called Kwik-cure - they are on Russell Road - 0131 337 0366 - just called them and they said they didn't know of any reason why they can't be repaired and would do it. But you would have to leave the wheel with them overnight so could be a prob there if you've no spare!

But finally got Kwik-Fit Mobile organised through my work - they are coming today to do it at work for a tenner - and got our plant manager to double check they would repair the pirellis and they said yes they would - Hmmmm smell a cartel/ racket anyone?

Will let you know how they perform.

KenL
23rd March 2004, 06:50 PM
Runflats really are a pain in the *ss aren't they? :disapprove:

Cost a fortune, hard to find, cannae be fixed, not many tyre places can fit them :mad:

I'm so glad I've got my wee 15's :) for now anyway :p

Monsta Mo Mini
23rd March 2004, 06:55 PM
There is defo something very smelly going on regarding repairs and fitting of run-flats. It seems to depend on the honesty of the individual you speak to. Sadly most of them seem to be out to make a quick buck...especially at the dealers!

Wul
23rd March 2004, 10:50 PM
Well the dudes doing the biz just now so we'll see how it goes!

As for the runflats - i reckon over time the policies of the manufaturers and fitters will improve. I like the concept of not having to change a wheel in the pi$$ing rain but it's not worth the additional cost at the moment. But time will tell.

KenL
23rd March 2004, 11:37 PM
Agreed Wul - think the concept is brilliant but flawed at the moment.

Hope yer man does a good job.

It's great how a man in a van can cope with runflats but some big outfits can't. I bet that is because they cater to fleets/business users who are more likely to have BMW/Merc etc which use RF tyres.

Wul
23rd March 2004, 11:41 PM
Well 20mins later and it was done!

Good job IMHO - 2 small dents in the edge of the rim - no paint scratched - just where the initial levers were placed to break the seal I think the dents happened through the rim protectors - hardly noticable though.

So overall very pleased and for a tenner you cannae argue given i was faced with buying a £140 tyre!

duncan
24th March 2004, 04:37 AM
Good to hear you got sorted Wul.
I could have lent you a nice jack and wheel brace:p:D

3GGG
24th March 2004, 05:07 AM
That is good to know Wul, thanks. I've still got 6 months insurance on my tyres left... waste of money (£99) that was, but I expect if I didn't have it then I would have had 4 punctures by now.

KenL
24th March 2004, 06:11 AM
quote:Originally posted by 3GGG

That is good to know Wul, thanks. I've still got 6 months insurance on my tyres left... waste of money (£99) that was, but I expect if I didn't have it then I would have had 4 punctures by now.

Maybe time to get a coupla punctures David :evil:

3GGG
24th March 2004, 06:13 AM
quote:Originally posted by KenL

quote:Originally posted by 3GGG

Maybe time to get a coupla punctures David :evil:

:evil::D

Wul
24th March 2004, 06:28 AM
I can lend you a screw that'll do the job nicely David! ;)

Wul
1st April 2004, 10:20 PM
Well got tyresafe fired into my tyres yesterday so hopefully no more puncture woes for me £19.95 - the jobs a good un!

3GGG
2nd April 2004, 12:59 AM
Notice any difference in the handling or anything with the tyresafe stuff in Wul?

Wul
2nd April 2004, 01:29 AM
Well you get slight vibration through the steering for the first 3-400 miles as the stuff coats the inside of the tyre - and even then that's only at about 40-50mph until it spreads.

After that you'd never know it was there. Funny it is less obvious in my S perhaps due to the different volume of gunge in the wheels?

Are you still thinking about this stuff? I'd advise you to go for it - at £19.95 for the 4 wheels it's a good deal and seeing as it costs £10 per puncture repair i'm sure it'll pay for itself and save your rims from a pounding! Takes 10 mins for them to put the stuff in.

3GGG
2nd April 2004, 02:20 AM
Thanks Wul, I was thinking about it if I got non runflats in the future. But I hadn't thought about it for the runflats until now. Your reasoning about saving the rims is a good one.