PDA

View Full Version : Alloy's general consensus on how to safely clean them

Stewart
26th July 2008, 12:00 AM
Picking up my new mini next week, its on 16inch.alloys. :cool:

What is the general consensus on how to safely clean them? And what polish and sealant is used. I read a lot in DW and a few mini’s have been on it.

Cheers

AndyP & Lenore
26th July 2008, 12:18 AM
Stewart, I've just bought and used R222 - it used to be called P21S. Reportedly, it's the same alloy cleaner the dealers use. No official confirmation on that.

I used it for the first time yesterday and I have to say it did a very good job of my alloys.

To protect the wheels after, some folk simply layer up their usual wax. But I use Poorboys Alloy Wheel Sealant. Cant remember where I got mine but you can see it here. (http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=63)

It looks like pink mouse, and smells of chewing gum. MMMmmmm But most importantly it does a great job of sealing your wheels, giving them a protective coating and a great shine.:thumbs up:

A.:D

Scottie
26th July 2008, 08:24 AM
from new give your wheels a polish then use Jetseal109 much better stuff than the poorboys.

From that when washing the car clean the wheels with the the same stuff you wash your car with but use another mit for the wheels.

Craig
26th July 2008, 09:27 AM
I don't normally use any wheel cleaner on my wheels as I don't leave them longer than about 5 days without being washed...:eyes up:

If your wheels have marks on them then I use Megs Wheel Brightner. This stuff is acidic, so only leave it on the wheels for approx 45 secs to a min. Agitate if required. I have used it on Judes wheels and it works great at getting of the stuff stuck in all the nooks and crannies. :thumbs up:

I then put on Poorboys wheel sealant and then wash the wheels as normal like Scottiedoop says. I have to say that once you get some good wheel wax on your wheels, unless you neglect them badly, I don't think you have to use a wheel cleaner at all.. :thumbs up:

Just my experience anyway.

AndyP & Lenore
26th July 2008, 09:46 AM
I guess I should add that I will only use the R222 wheel cleaner when the dirt build up is so bad my normal shampoo doesn't clear it.

With a few layers of Poorboys or Jetseal109 you won't need to use the cleaner much at all. But it's good to have.

A.:thumbs up:

ianking
26th July 2008, 05:20 PM
I dont know of any dealers that use R222 Andy. Most dealers will be using 'autosmart' smart wheels non acidic or perhaps autoglym clean wheels. It just depends which mobile van goes to their area. Dealers want the biggest quantity for the smallest money.
Having said that 'autosmart' wheel cleaner is very good and safe as well.

AndyP & Lenore
26th July 2008, 06:00 PM
I dont know of any dealers that use R222 Andy. Most dealers will be using 'autosmart' smart wheels non acidic or perhaps autoglym clean wheels. It just depends which mobile van goes to their area. Dealers want the biggest quantity for the smallest money.
Having said that 'autosmart' wheel cleaner is very good and safe as well.

Sorry Ian, what I meant was, it's supposed to be P21S that makes the BMW Alloy Wheel Cleaner.

Of course, it's not necessarily the case that's what the dealers will use.

A.