PDA

View Full Version : Classic Minis Have you had One.??

bpirie1000
22nd March 2004, 05:22 PM
Come Onthen how many of you had a classic mini...

You must have a story to tell.. I think the Whole population has a story to tell about a mini..

I have had a variety Of minis in the past and currently have a 1961 Mini van that I Built.

Why is this section so quiet??

Have to rectify that SOOOON.....

Cheers Brian

3GGG
22nd March 2004, 08:19 PM
I had a Mini Clubman Estate back in the mid 70's. Mrs 3GGG also had 2 Classic Minis. My Dad had one of the original Coopers, you know the one with the floor starter button. Oh I forgot my brother has an Italian Job Classic and has done the I.J. run a few times in it.

Monsta Mo Mini
22nd March 2004, 09:21 PM
Learned to drive in my ex-Hydro-Electric Mini Van (It was blue). Loved that wee car until it finally rotted away to such an extent that it was mainly welding with bits of Mini in-between. We also had a clubman estate which nearly killed the entire family thanks to a leaky battery and the resulting fumes while on holiday! Whose idea was it the put the battery in the cabin!?

Big Gordy
22nd March 2004, 09:47 PM
My dad had a 68 cooper 's' when I was a nipper :D I've had 2 originals a 76 1275 GT Clubman and an 84 1.3 City X :approve: I remember my dad saying 'you don't have to slow down for corners, just turn the wheel' He was right :p:D:approve:

Burple
22nd March 2004, 10:47 PM
Every car I've had except for my first mistake (a Vauxhall Shove-it ;)) and the current beastie have been Classics!
So far the count is 5... Including a V nice pick up.. which unfortunately died in a spectacular puff of smoke...It lives again tho... last spotted over on the West coast.. :D

Lost count of the smiles and stories I've had in them all!! :D:D:D:cool:
Not least from meeting some of you guys on here thru the years at various drinking competitions ..erm... Mini shows!! ;):cool::D

duncan
23rd March 2004, 12:15 AM
Yep, 1st car was a Mini Clubman.
Blue, with classy beige interior.
Learned to drive in it, until it went bang, and was then pushed in to the garage to rot away.
I think theres still a patch of oil on the garage floor it left!

broken_brian
23rd March 2004, 03:13 AM
as most of u know i have a classic at the moment which is being a little git at presant :evil: . I also had a mini advantage that needed a full front end and a boot floor for its mot :eek:

zimbo
23rd March 2004, 03:32 AM
Well yes I've had two classics, first was red mini city, still running around i assume, and the second was a rare blue/green mayfair i think(cant remember) that one is ummmmmm in mini heaven...:disapprove::dead:

Heather
23rd March 2004, 07:12 AM
was my first ever car. Learned to drive in it and managed to get 5 student nurses in it for any early shift at woodilee! it was a beige 1litre job called morrissey. I had flowers painted as if they were hanging out the boot1 ahhh happy days............:)

Duncan Stewart
23rd March 2004, 06:21 PM
I learned to drive in a blue clubby estate that I respayed black, wide wheels, buckets, etc, - Happy days! :D I ran it for a few years until the subframe mounts came through the floor due to a hard landing after going over a hump back bridge :eek:- it died as it lived - having fun - rather than rusting away.
I also did rallies and autotests in a brown / white clubman in the 80's - various mods including a full fibreglass flip front. I crashed it on a rally :( and started to rebuild it but ended up selling it as an unfinished project :disapprove:
Also ran silver 850 and a orange clubby estate in the past.
Currently I have a 1.3 carb 93 Mini Rio with Minilight alloys & RC40 exhaust. I've just spent the last 6 months rebuilding it with complete front end, rear welding & new subframe. He is currently spray can painted black (or stealth fighter black as I like to call it ;))with white roof. I was going to take him on the Hadrian wall run but I'm now thinking the new mini would be best for such a long run.
Anyway enough waffle - I could tell a million mini stories!

Burple
24th March 2004, 12:23 AM
quote:Originally posted by zimbo

Well yes I've had two classics, first was red mini city, still running around i assume, and the second was a rare blue/green mayfair i think(cant remember) that one is ummmmmm in mini heaven...:disapprove::dead:

tee hee hee...
That's cos you parked it on it's roof! :D;):D:blackeye::eek:

3GGG
24th March 2004, 05:17 AM
I was trying to recall what happened to my Clubman Estate... I remember now the 'big end' went. I sold it to some guy for £150 and he later complained that he had a lot of work to do because a roller bearing had been destroyed and spread wee bits throughout the engine, I did tell him I thought it was the big end...

The other 2 Minis that my wife had rusted away. Her first Mini ( a nice aquamarine blue) was traded in for fifty quid against a second hand Mini that ended up being more trouble than the original, absolutely the worst car she ever had. Also the worst colour, **** brown I think it was called unofficially.

Had their fair share of usual electrical problems as well as I recall, and cylinder head gaskets.

bpirie1000
24th March 2004, 05:00 PM
What a responce..

Glad to see your all still mini mad...

Mini adventures Never ending...

lightbody
25th March 2004, 03:50 AM
1989 Mini Racing Green
1995 Mini Sprite 1.3i (new)
1998 Mini Cooper 1.3mpi (new)

macblob
25th March 2004, 05:19 AM
I had an H plate flame red (cooper lookalike) . Loved that wee car but unfortunately the rot took over

Vosh
28th March 2004, 02:46 AM
Learned to drive in an orange Mini 1000. My first Mini was a 1973 white one. Fancy interior, Peco exhaust, bucket seats and Mamba alloys. Rotton as hell underneath though. Then had a 1989 Mini 30. Cherry red, half leather interior, all cloloir coded mirrors and archs. Stuck a nice fat pair of 6x13 alloys on it, de-stickered it and it looked lovely. Great wee car.

monkimagic
2nd April 2004, 04:19 AM
My Uncle done time for setting fire to his Minivan and rolling it down a public highway as an insurance scam. My Cooper is my first as I am much to young to talk about the eighties in a grown up manner.

Wul
2nd April 2004, 05:14 PM
Never owned one myself but my folks had a blue mini 1000 (I think) when i was a nipper and took the family (all 5 of us) on holiday down south towing a boat which was filled with our luggage!

Tahra
23rd April 2004, 05:01 AM
My Dad (re)built a couple in his youth and I remember very vividly the Inca Yellow clubman that we had when I was at primary school. My first car was a Mini 1000, in dark blue. My first run in it was to Auchtertool, with my Dad saying exactly the same as Big Gordys !!

shoppie
10th June 2004, 07:29 AM
Have had a 1969 Wood & Pickett 1275GT Clubman since 1982. Has only been on the road twice since then - both occasions resulting in it getting shoved back in the garage.
Making a real serious effort this time to have it finished at the Arbroath Seafront show.

northandy
30th July 2004, 04:09 AM
I've had two classics previously... and earlier this year bought a 1973 pickup... 1380cc, all the bits, its madness to drive and eats tyres like theres no tomorrow, but its a laugh !

Scottie
5th August 2004, 05:42 PM
I've had three classic mini's.

1. Mini clubman which my dad done up for me, crashed it 8 months later, got fixed again then sold.

2. Mini clubman woody got done for no road tax.

3. Mini Cooper Red only sold it when I got the new mini.