PDA

View Full Version : John Cooper Works

N12 JLK
17th July 2008, 08:27 PM
The Nicols had a road test today in a new JCW car, all I can say is WOW its such a fantastic car, the exhaust sounds fantastic, the car goes like stink ( very responsive), holds the road like nothing Ive driven. I nearly bought one today but it was just too expensive, we have a very nice S already and it would have ment an extra £150 per month which was just too much. Never know next year we may go for one or more like it a new S. The car is SOOOOO BLOOMIN SUPERB but its just to expensive (but I still want one:thumbs up:). If anyone can afford to go for it then its a defo yes from me.

illegalhunter
17th July 2008, 09:33 PM
Them payments are a killer. Iam waiting till 09 facelift R in champ white, payments up again lol

Scottie
17th July 2008, 09:59 PM
so come on then what was your trade in price.?????

N12 JLK
17th July 2008, 10:29 PM
Ohhh that would be telling now:D

Scottie
17th July 2008, 10:35 PM
Ohhh that would be telling now:D

So I was not far wrong then in my guess.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

N12 JLK
17th July 2008, 10:38 PM
What was your guess

N12 JLK
17th July 2008, 10:43 PM
Ok Fiona it felt like £6.95:thud:

FergusM
17th July 2008, 11:05 PM
I had read same suspension as the S...unless you spec and pay extra ? So it should handle the same ?

From what I read you are paying for -

1. Lovely 17" wheels.
2. Improved brakes...though must say I have yet to feel the standard R56 MCS's lacking.
3. JCW Aero kit...already got that.
4. Electronic LSD..which some reviews say not as good as the mechanical one (which I have).
5. Different variation of traction control...probably only of benefit on track
6. Power increase....

So...I could be pretty close to most of that if I put a high flow cat and exhaust and had mine chipped...might end up with more power than the works MCS....and it would cost a lot lot less.

Ok...no warranty issues but my car is over 1 year old so less than 2 years before I dont have to worry about that either...

N12 JLK
17th July 2008, 11:50 PM
I had read same suspension as the S...unless you spec and pay extra ? So it should handle the same ?

From what I read you are paying for -

1. Lovely 17" wheels.
2. Improved brakes...though must say I have yet to feel the standard R56 MCS's lacking.
3. JCW Aero kit...already got that.
4. Electronic LSD..which some reviews say not as good as the mechanical one (which I have).
5. Different variation of traction control...probably only of benefit on track
6. Power increase....

So...I could be pretty close to most of that if I put a high flow cat and exhaust and had mine chipped...might end up with more power than the works MCS....and it would cost a lot lot less.

Ok...no warranty issues but my car is over 1 year old so less than 2 years before I dont have to worry about that either...

All I can say is once you have driven it its soo different from your S, much better, I have an S R56 and it was like chalk and cheese.

FergusM
18th July 2008, 08:22 AM
Maybe the sum of the parts is better than it reads... will have to go and take one out for a spin. Though to be honest any more power than mine and I'd want it going through the rear wheels...and with kids getting bigger the next car I get will have to be bigger and more practical (and not a clubman..yuk)

FergusM
18th July 2008, 08:26 AM
All I can say is once you have driven it its soo different from your S, much better, I have an S R56 and it was like chalk and cheese.

Do you have sport suspension ? And do you have the lsd ?

...trying to get my head round what would make it better handling wise...possibly lighter wheels help..

The Dogfather
18th July 2008, 09:16 AM
I might have a test drive tomorrow :D

N12 JLK
18th July 2008, 05:21 PM
Do you have sport suspension ? And do you have the lsd ?

...trying to get my head round what would make it better handling wise...possibly lighter wheels help..

Yes we do my good man, Ive solved your problem with your kids getting bigger also, make them get the bus:yes nod:

AndyP & Lenore
18th July 2008, 05:59 PM
Yes we do my good man, Ive solved your problem with your kids getting bigger also, make them get the bus:yes nod:

Jason, don't want to look a numpty, but I'm pretty sure your R56 will not have lsd. The limited slip diff was only available from about March/April 2007, maybe even June July ish. I'm sure I remember Roland from GTT delaying his order until it was available.

A.:D

ianking
18th July 2008, 10:56 PM
LSD was fitted as part of the chilli pack on the previous shape mini S but NOT fitted as part of the chilli pack for the R56 S. It had to be specced up as an option.

AndyP & Lenore
18th July 2008, 11:42 PM
LSD was fitted as part of the chilli pack on the previous shape mini S but NOT fitted as part of the chilli pack for the R56 S. It had to be specced up as an option.

But it wasn't even an OPTION until 6 months into production. Pretty sure of that.

A.

ianking
19th July 2008, 12:11 AM
So we are both correct then that their car isnt with an LSD as it is an early build R56.

Scottie
19th July 2008, 08:19 AM
But it wasn't even an OPTION until 6 months into production. Pretty sure of that.

A.

So we are both correct then that their car isnt with an LSD as it is an early build R56.

does it matter:confused:

FergusM
19th July 2008, 08:32 AM
Might go part of the way to explain why the JCW one felt better than a R56 S...

AndyP & Lenore
19th July 2008, 09:15 AM
does it matter:confused:

Might go part of the way to explain why the JCW one felt better than a R56 S...

That was my point Fi.

Jason seemed to think his car had LSD, but Fergus was looking for reasons why the JCW car would feel so much better than Jasons.

The lack of LSD in Jasons car and the presence in the JCW car would make a huge difference.

A.

ianking
19th July 2008, 05:28 PM
It will mean that you can really put the power on very hard in the bends and the wheels wont scramble for grip as much.