PDA

View Full Version : Well we have had the week from hell

Scottie
15th July 2008, 10:08 PM
The past week has been hell to say the least not had one as bad since 1991 & 1998.

Last Monday and then again on Tuesday Allan suddenly couldn't keep his balance he was like a drunk man (without the drink) was admitted to hospital (his second home) Tuesday evening.

Doctors thought at first that he had a small stroke, if not that then they felt that it was neurological perhaps something to do with his sensory perception like a switch that had been flicked to the of position.

CT scan last week came back all fine as did his blood, so that ruled out a stroke , CJD and other stuff, we had to wait until yesterday for his MRI scan of the spine looking at his nerves for signs of MS and all that kinda stuff today we got the results if it had showed nothing then he was getting a spinal tap.

Five days of not knowing and worrying and what for

A compressed disk in his neck:eyes up::eyes up: it's nicked his nerve as it's compressed going inwards, not requiring surgery and infact it is now settling down a good bit he has got most of his balance back. Should be out tomorrow or Thursday.

The not knowing and worrying what it may have been a symptom of was the worst thing ever and the doctors don't help.

It has reminded us both how life can turn on a sixpence and not to put anything of. Yes I know a bit deep but until you have faced either ill health. life changing injuries or the death of a close loved one you won't have a clue of what I mean.

Anway all is good for the moment until next month when he gets his gall bladder out.:frown:

weefossy
15th July 2008, 10:36 PM
Fi, Alan, good to hear that all is now good and best wishes for the op, if we don't see you before.
Working in my profession we see / hear this all the time. Average age for a Critical illness claim is early forties.....scary.

Neil and Lorna
15th July 2008, 10:49 PM
Jeez oh, Fi you pair are fairly going through some rough times.

Glad to hear he's on the mend. And all the best for the future op.

Your last comment about life changing on sixpence, we both know what you mean. And it does change your attitude to life.

See you both soon.

Neil and Lorna.

Craig
15th July 2008, 11:03 PM
Fi/Allan, all the best. I meant what I said this week, if I can help in any way, just let me know. :smilewinkgrin:

life-changing - well yeah that happened for our family about 8 years ago and life has never been the same since, so I know what you mean. Completely changed my outlook on life and how I look at things. :yes nod:

I've also not had the best few weeks (but yours tops mine), I just can't breath properly at all, now on my second kind of inhaler and had a chest x-ray today, so will see what that comes up with... :eyes up: I hate not being able to do all the things I love to do... Maybe even have to give up the big T :thud::Whistle:

AndyP & Lenore
15th July 2008, 11:18 PM
Fi/Allan, really glad things are on the mend. And I guess you must be relieved you finally know what was wrong.

Like Craig says, and like I said earlier this week, if there's anything I can do, I'd be delighted to help. I know, not much I can do from from down here in the Borders, but if there is, just ask.

All the best.:thumbs up:

A.

Scottie
15th July 2008, 11:24 PM
thanks guys. Craig hope you get sorted soon.

Colin
16th July 2008, 12:08 AM
Glad to hear Allan's OK,:thumbs up: you must have been worried sick Fi. I know what you mean about the waiting it's the worst time. :frown:

Crombers
16th July 2008, 08:16 AM
Get well soon Allan & all the best for the op

Crombers
16th July 2008, 08:18 AM
Maybe even have to give up the big T :thud::Whistle:

:eek: Naw!!! , hope it don't mean that sir :frown:

The Dogfather
16th July 2008, 09:15 AM
Good to hear he's alright. I had 4 months of worry regarding my health a couple of years back, this why I made the decision to move closer to my family. Don't take anything for granted and live life to the full!!!!!

Mini Ecosse
16th July 2008, 09:19 AM
Hope Alan is better soon.;bigwave:

Stephen & Allyson

Mini Ecosse
16th July 2008, 09:21 AM
Fi/Allan, all the best. I meant what I said this week, if I can help in any way, just let me know. :smilewinkgrin:

I am sure you could start with a wash & polish of their cars:rolleyes::Whistle:

Stephen

Gismo
16th July 2008, 07:46 PM
Glad to hear everything is ok with yer better half Fi :thumbs up:
If we can help in any way let me know :computer:

Bumble
16th July 2008, 07:51 PM
Def. sound like you guys have been thru the mangle .... glad you know what's wrong - often the scary bit is the not knowing.

L

N12 JLK
16th July 2008, 08:46 PM
Get better soon Alan, nothing worse than waiting for results, Ive also had to wait weeks for results in the past and it ruins your health even more worrying.

FergusM
16th July 2008, 08:52 PM
That sounds painful. Glad to hear he is feeling better !

Sheilz
16th July 2008, 11:33 PM
Glad to hear everything's ok now though can appreciate it must have been pretty nerve wracking fearing the worst (no pun intended). Good luck with the op. I believe this is done by keyhole surgery nowadays. That makes a huge difference to recovery. My mum had the same op on her shoulder earlier this year as my sister had done about fifteen years ago. The difference in scarring and recovery between the two of them was amazing, especially since my mum was 78 when she had hers done. Her sling was thrown away the next day while my sis went through weeks of pain and painful physio and she was in her thirties at the time.
lots of luck with it. :thumbs up:

Sheilz
16th July 2008, 11:50 PM
I've also not had the best few weeks (but yours tops mine), I just can't breath properly at all, now on my second kind of inhaler and had a chest x-ray today, so will see what that comes up with... :eyes up: I hate not being able to do all the things I love to do... Maybe even have to give up the big T :thud::Whistle:

This has been a tough summer for asthma sufferers and those with hayfever. Nik has both and in the last two months has missed weeks off work due to problems with his chest and erratic and fast heart rate. Eventually ended up in A&E a couple of weeks ago. Doc told me there seems to have been a viral infection going about which has created havoc with youngsters such as Nik. He'd to have a few courses of antibiotics and put on total rest, not allowed any form of stimulation including playing his Xbox etc for two weeks to try and steady his heart rate. At just ninteen that was pretty tough going especially no X Box!
He went to T in the Park last weekend which had me knotted with worry in case he became ill again though he wasn't giving a damn and just wanted to enjoy himself. He did though I got a few more grey hairs worrying that he was ok :eek: Nik had a whale of a time but came home with his eyes all swollen and in agony - as did his elder brother - so had to have another trip to hospital and missed another couple of days off work. I'm sure they'll think he's malingering but I know how ill he has been. I think folk can find it difficult to understand just how awful these chest complaints can be until they live with someone affected by it.

The point of this ramble is to sympathise and hope your asthma settles quickly.:thumbs up: