PDA

View Full Version : upgrading to 3g iphone

Scottie
13th July 2008, 09:33 AM
Planning on upgrading to the 3g iphone from reading the )s website it will cost me £100 to upgrade.

Only trouble is they don't seem to have any in stock.:argh::argh:

So if anyone knows of any 02 shops with stock please let me know.:thumbs up:

jayex
13th July 2008, 08:03 PM
Hi Fi been looking around Edinburgh today as i fancied upgrading my i phone to the new 3g one and have eventualy been told they are sold out nationwide - also tryed online - same story, o2 say there may be a batch next week but wont take pre orders, they are saying the hope to meet demand by the end of the summer :eek: may just stick with my old one as really cant be @rs*d queing for a bl**dy phone :frown:

Scottie
13th July 2008, 08:43 PM
the upgrade offer going from 1st generation iphone to 3g iphone is on until October so I've plenty of time to get one:thumbs up: but I want it NOW:argh::argh:

Bazthemod
13th July 2008, 10:41 PM
Iv got one... tis very nice :p

SimonS
13th July 2008, 11:25 PM
Try carphone warehouse. I went in at about 11am on Friday and they were soldout in store but they had just had another 1500 in at the warehouse. I was able to order it for delivery Monday morning. This was also for an upgrade from first gen.

Scottie
13th July 2008, 11:28 PM
Try carphone warehouse. I went in at about 11am on Friday and they were soldout in store but they had just had another 1500 in at the warehouse. I was able to order it for delivery Monday morning. This was also for an upgrade from first gen.

yeh but contract is with 02 and not (carphonewarehose 02) they are different are they not.:confused:

Scottie
13th July 2008, 11:29 PM
Iv got one... tis very nice :p

reading nothern mini you got it from flea bay, how much did that cost I can upgrade for either free if I change my monthly amount or for £100 keeping my monthly amount the same.

did you go for 8gb or 16gb ???

AndyP & Lenore
13th July 2008, 11:44 PM
Fi, when you do get your new phone could you have a look and see if you are able to make the text input pad into a standard phone looking one. So it's got abc def ghi jkl etc., instead of the full qwerty keyboard.

Baz, if you already have one, could you see if it can be done.

Cheers folks.

A.

Scottie
13th July 2008, 11:48 PM
Fi, when you do get your new phone could you have a look and see if you are able to make the text input pad into a standard phone looking one. So it's got abc def ghi jkl etc., instead of the full qwerty keyboard.

Baz, if you already have one, could you see if it can be done.

Cheers folks.

A.

thought you didnae like the iphone are you not a nokia man:p:p

AndyP & Lenore
13th July 2008, 11:57 PM
thought you didnae like the iphone are you not a nokia man:p:p

I ama Nokia man. I did have a looky at one in an O2 shop and it was OK. It was probably the best touch screen type phone I've seen. Ultra thin too. But I text constantly (just ask CraigD) and a qwerty keybaord when texting is a royal PITA for me. Often text one handed and just don't have the dexterity to reach all the keys with my thumb.

If the new iPhone doesn't do it for me, I'll be going for the Nokia e66 later in July. It launches soon.

A.

Bazthemod
14th July 2008, 09:30 AM
I got it for 350 just went for 8gb as I would never fill a 16, by time I sell my current phone and iPod it will have cost me nothing to upgrade.

Andy as for texting I can't see a way to use a alphanumeric keypad

illegalhunter
14th July 2008, 03:06 PM
I cant believe that Apple would have put the original one out without 3g Its not exactly new tecnoligy

AndyP & Lenore
14th July 2008, 04:16 PM
I cant believe that Apple would have put the original one out without 3g Its not exactly new tecnoligy

I have to admit. I kinda thought the same thing...:eek:

And you'd think the new one would come with GPS built in as standard.:eyes up: Maybe it does.:confused:

A.

Smitty
14th July 2008, 04:36 PM
I have to admit. I kinda thought the same thing...:eek:

And you'd think the new one would come with GPS built in as standard.:eyes up: Maybe it does.:confused:

A.

It does come with GPS as standard - and TomTom have already confirmed they have there own Apps and Map Packs ready to ship :cool:

Craig
14th July 2008, 05:01 PM
I ama Nokia man. I did have a looky at one in an O2 shop and it was OK. It was probably the best touch screen type phone I've seen. Ultra thin too. But I text constantly (just ask CraigD) and a qwerty keybaord when texting is a royal PITA for me. Often text one handed and just don't have the dexterity to reach all the keys with my thumb.

If the new iPhone doesn't do it for me, I'll be going for the Nokia e66 later in July. It launches soon.

A.

get the new iphone then - it might save me some money... lol :moonie:

AndyP & Lenore
14th July 2008, 05:55 PM
It does come with GPS as standard - and TomTom have already confirmed they have there own Apps and Map Packs ready to ship :cool:

OK. I stand corrected.:thumbs up:

Livi
14th July 2008, 05:58 PM
My Dad had the old one, and never liked it, so i hacked it and unlocked it - it now runs windows lol!!

been tempting to look at the new one though, but to be honest whats different compared to the old one? (other than the MB)

Smitty
14th July 2008, 06:38 PM
i hacked it and unlocked it - it now runs windows lol!!

I'm sorry.....WHAT??? :argh::argh::argh::thud::eek:

Why would you do that?? I am absolutely shocked! Some people just don't like being told that Windows isn't all it's made out to be....there are much better alternatives out there - i.e. Mac OS X!! :yes nod::yes nod:

whats different compared to the old one? (other than the MB)

The main new features are GPS and 3G. The design is mainly the same other than the back panel and the headphone jack is now sunken and can be used by any headphones.

The software has been updated, to accept 3rd Party Widgets and Apps and the browser is 4 x faster at rendering! Apart from that very minor changes and apparently they have updated the battery life but I doubt it!!

SimonS
14th July 2008, 07:20 PM
yeh but contract is with 02 and not (carphonewarehose 02) they are different are they not.:confused:

I specifically asked whether the contrct would be with CPW or with O2 and they said O2. Apparently this is unique to the iPhone as if you get any other phone from CPW on o2 you pay CPW not o2.

Scottie
14th July 2008, 07:32 PM
I specifically asked whether the contrct would be with CPW or with O2 and they said O2. Apparently this is unique to the iPhone as if you get any other phone from CPW on o2 you pay CPW not o2.

sounds like I can upgrade through CPW then, thought it would have been with 02 direct.

mikeythemini
14th July 2008, 08:36 PM
Waiting for my 3g (got a normal iphone at the mo) BUT have today heard from several people that the 3g one doesnt charge in aftermarket products - icelink, audi, bose.......? When I get mine I will check seems crazy to change the charging

mikeythemini
14th July 2008, 08:37 PM
Have upgraded my old iphone to software2 - its great - check out ipint

illegalhunter
14th July 2008, 11:28 PM
Apple are breaking the law by only selling throw o2 , eu rulez

Livi
15th July 2008, 09:41 AM
I'm sorry.....WHAT??? :argh::argh::argh::thud::eek:

Why would you do that??

Eh Hacked Meh Eh-Phone

nah i was bored so i downloaded a few programs that allowed me to unlock and do stuff through my computer to the phone. i can put it back if need though Martin, just need to click the thingy on my computery :laugh:

but aye, i had a wee shot in the o2 shop, i did notice it likes to 'buffer' alot, and being surrounded by salesmans going "you buying it eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh eh?!?!" lol

euan
15th July 2008, 09:57 AM
The new ipods locked out some of the older 3rd party components, my old dock doesn't work with the new one for example. Wonder if it's the same with 3G iphone?

Anyway, I'm not getting one, much as want one - my new SE c902 gets delivered today, with 600 minutes, unlimited texts and data for 20 quid a month - That's 370 cheaper the equivalent Ipod tarrif over 18 months. Iphone is good, but it's not worth 400 quid over a normal high end phone over 18 months.

GAJ
15th July 2008, 09:59 AM
Apple are breaking the law by only selling throw o2 , eu rulez

Not quite! Some EU countries have laws (France for example, not) which make it illegal to only sell a phone tied to a specific carrier in that country, so Apple offer the phones 'sim free' in these countries. These are not EU wide laws that affect all member countries. No laws are being broken.

Livi
15th July 2008, 10:02 AM
i was looking into getting one but then thats the new 'prices' sucking me in

After seeing dad paying: £45 --> £62 -----> £102 etc etc (it went up and down but the 3 prices are min and max i think he went G2F with the phone in which i was happy to get.

so i dont think ill be getting one, so when my contract goes out ill just put my PAYG sim back in and play away more.

in a way its good, Ipod and Phone in one rather than carrying both but thats about it.

Euan, did you get a free gift with your new contract? :rolleyes:

Smitty
15th July 2008, 10:24 AM
nah i was bored so i downloaded a few programs that allowed me to unlock and do stuff through my computer to the phone. i can put it back if need though Martin, just need to click the thingy on my computery :laugh:

I'll let you off with hacking it...just cuz it's sometimes interesting to do such things

BUT

loading Windows onto it.....u need a good slap my friend :eek::rolleyes:

P.S. I'll be in touch later today/tomorrow about ordering those bits! ;)

Livi
15th July 2008, 10:33 AM
Right fine, have it your way....

Ill put the commidor system on it! :smilewinkgrin::laugh::Whistle:

No botther mate, i might need to order in a few things :thumbs up:

euan
15th July 2008, 10:53 AM
Euan, did you get a free gift with your new contract? :rolleyes:

No, it was an upgrade on Orange - I'd tried to upgrade 2 weeks ago but they wanted 60 quid for the phone and 30 quid for the contract with less minutes and no data bundle so I passed. Tried again at the weekend and got that offer - which I was more than happy with! :D

Livi
15th July 2008, 11:21 AM
Good! waiting does pay off! :D

My missus got a free PS3 with her phone a few months back so was just wondering if you had something similar :thumbs up:

euan
15th July 2008, 11:28 AM
Good! waiting does pay off! :D

My missus got a free PS3 with her phone a few months back so was just wondering if you had something similar :thumbs up:

That's sweet! I thought I had a good deal!

Scottie
17th July 2008, 08:00 PM
Got it.:thumbs up::thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
17th July 2008, 11:46 PM
Got it.:thumbs up::thumbs up:

And you're just gonna leave us hanging like that? C'mon... spill!! What's it like?:eyes up:

A.:D

Burple
18th July 2008, 03:05 PM
The best thing you can do woth your new iPhone?

Here you go! (http://geek.videosift.com/video/iPhone-3G-Will-it-Blend) :cool::thumbs up::D

jayex
18th July 2008, 09:49 PM

Here you go! (http://geek.videosift.com/video/iPhone-3G-Will-it-Blend) :cool::thumbs up::D

PML..... got it today while oot shopping - think its pretty good :cool: but not massively different from the first gen, yeh its got 3g but i probably would have been quite happy with my old one if my nice hadn't been hassling me for ma auld yin :laugh: still i think they are a great piece of kit and no need to trail ma i pod around which is a bonus :thumbs up:

Scottie
18th July 2008, 10:30 PM
PML..... got it today while oot shopping - think its pretty good :cool: but not massively different from the first gen, yeh its got 3g but i probably would have been quite happy with my old one if my nice hadn't been hassling me for ma auld yin :laugh: still i think they are a great piece of kit and no need to trail ma i pod around which is a bonus :thumbs up:

side by side old and new I think the display on the 3g is a lot better.:thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
18th July 2008, 11:40 PM

PMSL.

Good find.:thumbs up:

Scottie
1st August 2008, 10:33 PM
just a wee update to say the 3g iphone is great.

If you don't have one yet then get out there and buy one.

The apps store alone it's worth it

Exposure is a great apps and works well flickr I really like the photo's near me part.

I like the HFD calculator it's a neat tool to use when
taking photo's with our main camera it works it all out for us.

Gismo
1st August 2008, 10:38 PM
I'm wanting to get these for my current contract with O2, but, not due an upgrade until December.
Reading on their website they say that unless you are due an upgrade don't call cause you won't get one, only when it's due :argh:

Has anyone who is contracted to O2 received one outwith their renewal date??

And, do you really get unlimited web surfing included in the monthly rate?

I never surf the web with my current phone, too tight :Whistle: but, would be interested if the iPhone contract allows it

Scottie
1st August 2008, 10:42 PM

I never surf the web with my current phone, too tight :Whistle: but, would be interested if the iPhone contract allows it

hopefully you can upgrade until October 2008 read the 02 website.

and yes

thechief
1st August 2008, 10:42 PM
I'm wanting to get these for my current contract with O2, but, not due an upgrade until December.
Reading on their website they say that unless you are due an upgrade don't call cause you won't get one, only when it's due :argh:

I hope so cause I have been milking the internet since I got it :laugh:

It is an absolutely brilliant phone though, so easy to work. Just a shame it doesn't do mms and the camera isn't brilliant.

Gismo
1st August 2008, 10:52 PM
hopefully you can upgrade until October 2008 read the 02 websiteOoh, they've changed the wording since i last read it :computer:
Exisiting business tarrif customers may upgrade early if they have been with O2 for longer than 12 months, that'll be me then.

Last question, there is mention that you can log onto hotspots thoughout the UK, is that the primary way of connecting to the internet?? or is it via satellite

Scottie
1st August 2008, 11:07 PM
Ooh, they've changed the wording since i last read it :computer:
Exisiting business tarrif customers may upgrade early if they have been with O2 for longer than 12 months, that'll be me then.

Last question, there is mention that you can log onto hotspots thoughout the UK, is that the primary way of connecting to the internet?? or is it via satellite

I log on to the internet either usinf wi-fi at home
I used a hot spot in a cafe once in aviemore worked fine

or just by using 3g.

Smitty
1st August 2008, 11:17 PM
Well I got mine yesterday and I absolutely love the thing. Not using it as my main phone just yet as I'm waiting for my old number to be transferred but can't help but keep it on me at all times to play with.

The App store is tremendous....another piece of kit by Apple that just simply works, and so easily! The best app by far - Saber Phone - the ability to turn your iPhone into a real working lightsaber. Pointless yet utterly cool! :cool:

Tom Tom app set to ship within 2 weeks - NICE :yes nod:

it

I think by that it means unlimited web surfing through Wi-Fi - a sort of draw in for people who don't really understand the difference between accessing the internet via 3G and Wi-Fi. But I could be wrong....we'll see when the first bill comes in!!

Scottie
1st August 2008, 11:19 PM
no it's unlimited internet surfing as I understand it using 3g.

I'm on the £35 a month package and never once been charged more than that and surf using 3g and previous on the 1st generation.

Craig
1st August 2008, 11:21 PM
from reading the stuff on-line it states web browsing (data and wifi) so that would include GPRS/3G or WiFi.....

From o2's website...........

All tariffs include unlimited browsing on your iPhone, unlimited Wi-Fi access, visual voicemail and reduced roaming rates with our International Traveller Service and are subject to a minimum term contract of 18 months.

Gismo
1st August 2008, 11:24 PM
I think it'll take the cheapest option available to it, so if someone's wi-fi is switched on nearby it'll connect to that :eek: but if protected it'll switch to 3g automatically, at least that's the way i read it :computer:
Anyway, none in stock online :frown:

Smitty
1st August 2008, 11:25 PM
no it's unlimited internet surfing as I understand it using 3g.

I'm on the £35 a month package and never once been charged more than that and surf using 3g and previous on the 1st generation.

Well Fi, you've had your longer than me so you'll know best! :yes nod: I'm on the £35 contract to so that awesome news!! This thing gets better and better! :D

Smitty
1st August 2008, 11:27 PM

There's not been any in stock since the get go I don't think! The high street shops (esp Aberdeen) have decent stock supply and seem to be catching up with demand now

Scottie
1st August 2008, 11:28 PM
I think it'll take the cheapest option available to it, so if someone's wi-fi is switched on nearby it'll connect to that :eek: but if protected it'll switch to 3g automatically, at least that's the way i read it :computer:

it brings up a wee screen showing you all wi-fi that it can pick up on you can either try them but they may be protected or just click the ignore button (or whatever it's called can't remember ) and it connects using 3g.

I tell you it's a brillant bit of kit just so much more than a phone and very easy to use and texting is a breeze even my Allan can text ultra quick now.:eyes up::eyes up:

Anyone without an iphone :eyes up: are nuts.

Simple things like if you forget your glasses just drag the screen bigger and I can use the phone.:thumbs up:

Scottie
1st August 2008, 11:30 PM
There's not been any in stock since the get go I don't think! The high street shops (esp Aberdeen) have decent stock supply and seem to be catching up with demand now

you have to go into the store check O2 it gives a list daily of what stores have stock.

I'm upgrading my old iphone (that I just gave to Allan) cause he now wants the same as me the 3g one.
:ragin::ragin:

Gismo
1st August 2008, 11:31 PM
I may just have to visit the O2 in Aberdeen when i get home then, all i wanna know at the moment is if i can upgrade before my contract is due for renewal in December, missed the call centre by 6 minutes :computer:
And if so, how much is it gonna cost.
What's the bolt on that you have to purchase as well?

Scottie
1st August 2008, 11:34 PM
I may just have to visit the O2 in Aberdeen when i get home then, all i wanna know at the moment is if i can upgrade before my contract is due for renewal in December, missed the call centre by 6 minutes :computer:
What's the bolt on that you have to purchase as well?

mobile me.??

Smitty
1st August 2008, 11:35 PM

I reckon if you speak to them they will be willing to do this as long as your not reducing your monthly contract payments.

They're not going to say no to £99 for an iPhone and a possible increase of money from you a month!!

Smitty
1st August 2008, 11:36 PM
mobile me.??

Have your purchased this Fi or are you just using the Free Trial?

I love it, it can sync everything I need but not sure if I can justify the £59 annual subscription!

AndyP & Lenore
1st August 2008, 11:39 PM
I take it you're all still texting using a full qwerty keyboard?

Lots of positive reviews though. Maybe I should pop into an o2 store and have a play with one. On Orange though, so will need to buy sim free from somewhere.

A.

Gismo
1st August 2008, 11:40 PM
mobile me.??Not sure, according to the site it costs £8.51 per month, but, included in the tarrif so it's hidden :rolleyes:

Smitty
1st August 2008, 11:41 PM

Yup, defo no way of switching to a standard mobile keyboard I'm afraid.

It really is simple to use though, once you get the hang of being very "pointy" and direct with your finger tips!! :yes nod:

Craig
1st August 2008, 11:43 PM
this is going to be my new phone when my contract runs out on Vodafone. (around end Sept) Their service and coverage recently in my area has been rubbish. :argh:

also not being able to browse the web and check my email at work is a realy pita and I don't fancy browsing on a wee screen. ;)

Looking forward to it now...

Scottie
1st August 2008, 11:47 PM

Lots of positive reviews though. Maybe I should pop into an o2 store and have a play with one. On Orange though, so will need to buy sim free from somewhere.

A.

tbh Andy I don't see what your problem is with the keyboard.

However I use a keyboard all day every day at my work and at home so it is second nature to me.

I would have thought with the amount of time you seem to spend on the computer during the day/evening it would be second nature to you.:laugh::laugh::p:p

Don't let it stop you from getting what is simply the best phone/application gadget out there. It's a must have even my Allan thinks the same:argh::argh:

Scottie
1st August 2008, 11:51 PM
maybe your a one finger man:laugh::laugh:

I've never actually thought about it before, but I wonder who can do the most key strokes on here. H'mm maybe a wee test needs to be done.:D:D

AndyP & Lenore
1st August 2008, 11:53 PM
tbh Andy I don't see what your problem is with the keyboard.

However I use a keyboard all day every day at my work and at home so it is second nature to me.

I would have thought with the amount of time you seem to spend on the computer during the day/evening it would be second nature to you.:laugh::laugh::p:p

Don't let it stop you from getting what is simply the best phone/application gadget out there. It's a must have even my Allan thinks the same:argh::argh:

It's not just a phobia Fi, it's a tried, tested and failed process for me. I had a phone which had a qwerty keyboard and it just didn't work for me. My fingers were just too fat. I bite my nails so I don't even have pointy fingernails to use.

And when I had a quick look at the old iPhone I had a play with the qwerty keyboard and it was the same. Hopeless for me.

It is strange though, as I do work with a PC most days in work and loads at home, and I am very comfortable with a qwerty keyboard there.:computer::thumbs up:

A.:D

AndyP & Lenore
1st August 2008, 11:55 PM
maybe your a one finger man:laugh::laugh:

I've never actually thought about it before, but I wonder who can do the most key strokes on here. H'mm maybe a wee test needs to be done.:D:D

I probably am, when it comes to texting. Actually a one handed guy when it comes to texting as most of my texts are done one handed - while I spoon food into my mouth with the other.:eek::moonie::D

But for qwerty keyboard work, I use most fingers. Not quite mavis beacon, but multi fingered all the same.:moonie:

A.

Gismo
4th August 2008, 09:55 PM
Well, it turns out i am eligible for an iPhone upgrade now, sadly they dont have any in stock, but, allegedly there are some in the O2 shop in Aberdeen, shame i'm in Baku :argh:

euan
5th August 2008, 09:37 AM
What, CarphoneWarehouse hasn't made it to Baku? :D