PDA

View Full Version : Not Turning

Forbes
12th July 2008, 12:22 PM
Woke up this morning and my car is barely turning:ragin: I can't drive it basically. Feels heavy and non responsive:frown:
Looked for a puncture, nothing obvious. Any other ideas, could it be power steering?
Let's hope it is a quick fix so i don't miss next week:eek::thud:

Smitty
12th July 2008, 01:33 PM
Is it making the usual electric whinning noise when you turn the wheel?

If not the your power steering pump could be goosed! Otherwise, I'm not mechanic, so I'm out of ideas I'm afraid :frown:

stoney
12th July 2008, 01:38 PM
Woke up this morning and my car is barely turning:ragin: I can't drive it basically. Feels heavy and non responsive:frown:
Looked for a puncture, nothing obvious. Any other ideas, could it be power steering?
Let's hope it is a quick fix so i don't miss next week:eek::thud:

im afraid it will be your power steering as mine went on my old cooper i take it its even worse than a non power steering car ???

you are lucky it faild when you got in it to day mine faild right on a coner i neer crashed in 2 a hedge will take bmw 2/3 day if i mind but is yours still under wranty ???

Craig
12th July 2008, 03:42 PM
defo sounds like your power steering has failed. (do you have any fluid lying under the car where it was sitting?) :confused:

also as others have said, if you don't hear the normal whine from the pump, then it is prob bust. Hope you have some kind of warranty as these are not cheap to replace I am sorry to say.. :frown:

Best of luck and hope you get it sorted before the show. ;)

Forbes
12th July 2008, 05:33 PM
No spills or whines. But it is definetly bust. Mechanic is coming round in a bit. Lets hope it gets fixed. Sadly there is no warranty on it. Phoned JC and they say £450 + labour. That's all my wages gone for this month 2 days after getting payed

C.Noble
12th July 2008, 06:16 PM
There are several things that can cause the power steering to stop, in the racing we have experienced check valve failures in one of the banjo bolt fittings, if this is the case, the pump still runs and when you start it up you should see the power steering pipes swell with pressure. I also have one of my MINIs with an alternator fault causing the power steering to not cut in (pump SHOULD only run if the system is charging). But I am afraid to say, the pump units are bad for failure too, but worth checking the others first!

Forbes
12th July 2008, 07:13 PM
Just had a trusted mechanic take a look and it is the power steering pump:thud:. There goes £450:frown::ragin:. but should be back on the road monday or tuesday hoepfully:rolleyes: so F&M here i come:thumbs up:

Crombers
12th July 2008, 09:52 PM
Sounds like mine when my steering rack bust :frown:

Forbes
14th July 2008, 02:11 PM
Shock horror they don't have the part:thud: Fingers crossed it will be here tomorrow or wed at the latest:rolleyes: Had to be when my folks are away aswell so i am back to scaffing lifts and buses:ragin:
I miss not driving already:frown:

ianking
14th July 2008, 02:38 PM
Ben

Have you not tried the breakers yards to see if they have one and it will be much cheaper.

Forbes
14th July 2008, 02:56 PM
Would rather get one new tbh, i know its expensive but it will hopefully work. Did think about going to Overton but decided against it

Gorbash12346
17th July 2008, 12:09 AM
the usual one is it overheats and melts the plugs then stays on and melts itself till it dies otherwise the plastic capped top section leaks or it quite simply dies without warning (sounds like yours) pricey part too :(

Forbes
21st July 2008, 11:56 AM
Nine days after it occured i am getting my car back at 2 today:smilewinkgrin: So i probably won't be on here after that but going and wasting lots of petrol. Least i could borrow my mates car most of the week.

Anyone want to have a bet? Who says i will stall? Or it won't be ready?:shut up: