PDA

View Full Version : Blackfire questions for "The King Of Shine"

AndyP & Lenore
12th July 2008, 12:34 AM
Ian,

Thinking of getting this Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnauba Wax (http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/blackfire-midnight-sun-ivory-carnauba-paste-wax-protect.html)

As well as this Blackfire Wet Diamond paint protection (http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/blackfire-wet-diamond-all-finish-paint-protection-protect.html).

As you know I already have the Blackfire Wet Diamond Ivory Carnauba Wax (lots of coats) on the red MINI. Would I need to strip all this wax off to apply the sealant and the new wax? If so, whats the best way to strip it all off, without having to do a full polish jobbie with the UDM?

Also, I seem to remember from memory you use G101 to clean the entire engine bay... what dilution ratio do you use for that?

A.:confused:

ianking
13th July 2008, 09:24 PM
Im not familier with these products. I have used the other blackfire wax that you all ready have. I wouldnt go and remove any of the waxes though.
I dont really think you need the polymer sealant though. You prob dont need it as you have polished the car proper with the G220 and have waxed it with the quality wax. Surely the blackfire wax you have is just as good as the blackfire wax advertised there.

I use G101 for the engine bay. I spray it everywhere then jet wash it all off. MINI engines are fine getting wet. The only bit I cover up is the air intake right at the front. I just bung it up with and old cloth in a plastic bag. After jet washing I just let the car run hot with the bonnet open as I dry it all down and that steams the remaining water away. Average dilution ratio for engine bay for me is 1:4

AndyP & Lenore
13th July 2008, 11:32 PM
OKAYDOKAY. Cheers.

I'll leave things well alone then. Starting to think you and Lenore have been texting each other..... "Surely the blackfire wax you have is just as good as the blackfire wax advertised there". Almost exactly what Lenore said. And the truth is, it probably is just as good. I just fancied the look from the pics of that new wax. And it looks like Blackfire no longer do the Wet Diamond anymore.

Swirls starting to appear again in sunlight, so I'm planning on G220'ing the car again in autumn sometime, prepping it for winter. The only trouble is that the Blackfire wax I use needs to cure for a day between coats, so to put 5 or 6 layers on, takes 5 or 6 days.

Any idea if there is a wax out there that is as good as the Blackfire that I can apply straight after the last coat, and it still layers?

Cheers for the G101 info. I'll get a bottle diluted down to 1:4 and get stuck into the engine bay this week.:thumbs up:

A.:D

Scottie
13th July 2008, 11:46 PM
on Chilli Red You go with Victoria Wax has good durability (couple of months easily) and is a great product to use and I am sure it does add a subtle glossy edge to the finish - use a glaze before it such as #7 Show Car Glaze from Meguiars as this will suit the red very well.

However, and this is only if we stick to waxes, I find it hard to look past Meguiars #26 Yellow Wax for red paint, as it leaves a subtle warm look that suits the colour well, lasts well and is phenomenal value for money at just £12 for 11oz. But just because its cheap, doesn't mean its poor - quite the opposite for #26, its a superb wax which makes a laughing stock of the uber priced examples than are way over £100 as they just cannot really offer any more to a finish than it can (IMHO) if your prep is spot on. Personally, I'd be hugely tempted to go with two layers of Meguiars NXT 2.0 on your paint (glaze and seal, deepens the colour a little and is a lovely product to use and gets a tenable result) followed by two layer of #26 for a little extra warmth and good durability. No idea on the carnauba content of #26 but trust me, its pretty irrelevant anyway and is used more as a marketing tool than anything else.

There you go.:thumbs up:

Oh I pinched the above from DW and DaveG. If you read DW then you will know he is king and knows his stuff.

AndyP & Lenore
14th July 2008, 12:00 AM
on Chilli Red You go with Victoria Wax has good durability (couple of months easily) and is a great product to use and I am sure it does add a subtle glossy edge to the finish - use a glaze before it such as #7 Show Car Glaze from Meguiars as this will suit the red very well.

However, and this is only if we stick to waxes, I find it hard to look past Meguiars #26 Yellow Wax for red paint, as it leaves a subtle warm look that suits the colour well, lasts well and is phenomenal value for money at just £12 for 11oz. But just because its cheap, doesn't mean its poor - quite the opposite for #26, its a superb wax which makes a laughing stock of the uber priced examples than are way over £100 as they just cannot really offer any more to a finish than it can (IMHO) if your prep is spot on. Personally, I'd be hugely tempted to go with two layers of Meguiars NXT 2.0 on your paint (glaze and seal, deepens the colour a little and is a lovely product to use and gets a tenable result) followed by two layer of #26 for a little extra warmth and good durability. No idea on the carnauba content of #26 but trust me, its pretty irrelevant anyway and is used more as a marketing tool than anything else.

There you go.:thumbs up:

Oh I pinched the above from DW and DaveG. If you read DW then you will know he is king and knows his stuff.

lol. I could tell that wasn't you typing there Fi.:laugh:

Thanks for the input though.:thumbs up:

Scottie
14th July 2008, 08:27 PM
lol. I could tell that wasn't you typing there Fi.:laugh:

Thanks for the input though.:thumbs up:

at least I gave you the answer to your question. It's now up to you whether you follow the advice.:thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
14th July 2008, 08:59 PM
Gonna stick with the Blackfire at least until it's polishing time again.

Cheers anyway Fi.