PDA

View Full Version : R56 Cold start diesel noise official fix coming soon?

AndyP & Lenore
10th July 2008, 10:42 AM
According to this report on US based Motoring File (http://www.motoringfile.com/2008/07/07/r56-cold-start-official-fix-coming/#comment-227348) the R56 diesel noise problem has been acknowledged by MINI and the fix should be announced soon. Looks like it will be a software update as MINI seem to think the problem lies in the engine management, rather than mechanically.

A.

Craig
10th July 2008, 11:04 AM
jings, by the time it gets to the dealers, it will be 2 years since they have known about the problem. :eyes up:

Well done MINI for a prompt response to the thousands of people who have been affected by this problem. :rolleyes::thud::argh::argh:

albeit it is too late for a few of the enthusiasts like myself and Ian... :frown:

ianking
10th July 2008, 11:47 AM
How on earth can metal to metal knocking together be a software issue. Come on MINI employ some proper engineers to diagnose the problems.

illegalhunter
10th July 2008, 01:18 PM
SHHHHHHHH if were ignore the noise it goes away , BMW thaughts

FergusM
10th July 2008, 04:25 PM
Excellent...one less thing to bug me...if it works that is...

Livi
11th July 2008, 02:21 PM
Read my PuMA and here is the Diagnosis:

Vehicles affected
E series
R55 R56 Engine
N14 Body

Production period (from/to) (dd/mm/yy): 28/11/08

Complaint
After a cold start the customer intermittently hears a peculiar knocking or rattling noise from around the
engine for approx. 2-5 minutes. (often described similar to diesel knock)

The problem no longer occurs at outside temperatures of over about 15 °C.
If restarted shortly after the cold start, the noise also no longer occurs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cause
Chain tensioner.
This noise fault can be caused by too little tension on the timing chain due to insufficient bleeding of the
chain tensioner in certain tolerance ranges of timing gear components. #

ianking
11th July 2008, 02:26 PM
I had said chain tensioner replaced and it made no difference. Actually if anything the car sounded a little worse after that.

Livi
11th July 2008, 02:33 PM
For vehicles with a production date from 01.05.2007:
With this chain tensioner problem, replacing the chain tensioner does not currently provide a remedy.
Even after replacing parts of the timing gear, the noise may reoccur after a short period.

A solution is expected to be available at the beginning of December 2008.
The problem is purely acoustic; it does not cause any damage to the engine

All i can say Ian is, there still working on a solution, and they have a deadline of December to sort it, IF there is any updates ill let you guys know. Ill go research it out. :thumbs up:

FergusM
11th July 2008, 06:37 PM
NIce to have someone from Mini give an update.... as soon as something is properly out that fixes it then I'll get mine booked in.

N12 JLK
11th July 2008, 08:37 PM
For vehicles with a production date from 01.05.2007:
With this chain tensioner problem, replacing the chain tensioner does not currently provide a remedy.
Even after replacing parts of the timing gear, the noise may reoccur after a short period.

A solution is expected to be available at the beginning of December 2008.
The problem is purely acoustic; it does not cause any damage to the engine

All i can say Ian is, there still working on a solution, and they have a deadline of December to sort it, IF there is any updates ill let you guys know. Ill go research it out. :thumbs up:

Magic, thanks for info:thumbs up:

Scottie
11th July 2008, 09:51 PM
well that's good news.:thumbs up:

It is a shame that the R56 had this problem built into her prior to production and launch and owners have had to suffer as a result. Like everything else they do get a solution to the problem in the end maybe not a quick as we the punters would like but thats show business for you.

It's just a case on hanging in there and a good car will become great, fingers crossed.

Big Gordy
12th July 2008, 08:58 AM
Good to see a dealer actually putting their cards on the table about this 'known' problem. Well done JC's:thumbs up: glad someone not treating us like idiots:ragin:

KenL
12th July 2008, 08:22 PM
Great post JC Parts :thumbs up:

Really good to hear from a dealer who does not say: "no fault found" or "its normal".

...and one who sponsors this site as well :yes nod:

FergusM
12th July 2008, 08:42 PM
Now if I could get a fix for the gearbox issue...then I would be sorted...:)

Livi
13th July 2008, 08:28 PM
Fergus, ill check my PuMA on Monday for a gearbox announcment:thumbs up:

Livi
15th July 2008, 12:39 PM
Fergus has this anything to do with gearbox 'chaffing'? :confused:

FergusM
15th July 2008, 12:47 PM
Let me describe....

- Does not happen all the time.
- Generally happens when car is cold (hard to tell that with no temp guage on the r56's)...and does it once only.
- Typically if I start car..accelerate up to 40mph and then try and drop it into 2nd at 40mph the gear it "crunches".
- It will select the gear, it is when you lift foot off clutch to engage drive / enginer braking.
- It then will happily go into 2nd gear from then on.
- Also happens when selecting 3rd at higher speeds.
- Appears to happen when just decelerating.
- Can happen up to 15 minutes after car started.

..it was consistent, about to put it in...and stoppped happening for a bit...but has returned. Inconsistent faults are always a pain for a delare to fix....

Livi
15th July 2008, 01:03 PM
right hold up and ill have a look at what i think it is :thumbs up:

Livi
15th July 2008, 01:10 PM
E series
R55 R56 Engine
N12 N14 W16 Body
COUPE HB
Production period (from/to) (dd/mm/yy) : 02/01/07

Complaint
Three potential areas on harness that can chafe against the AISIN gearbox and air con pipe.
Symptoms of this condition can cause:

1: Harsh engagement whem selecting D and R.
2: Harsh gear selection when driving.
3: Gearbox warning cog / light to turn on.
4: 4E2B / 4E2C / 4E35 / 4E3F / 4E53 / 4E54 can also be stored alone or in combination in the TCU for
this fault.

Cause
Area of the harness that can chafe, is over the top of the gearbox where the harness is routed next to
the gearbox mount and past the air con pipe.

Basically it looks like its just a repair of maybe a corrigated tubing or maybe more, if you can get the car in to have a look at it, the advisors will advise you if its a recall - you will still have warranty yes?

AndyP & Lenore
15th July 2008, 01:33 PM
David, surely that's the Aisin automatic gearbox.:confused::confused: You refer to "harsh engagement when selecting D and R". These are automatic terms, and it was Aisin that made the Auto gearbox. TBH, I'm not sure the manual gearbox also is also made by Aisin though, for the R56.

A.:confused:

Livi
15th July 2008, 02:11 PM
Hey Andy, i just put this up as its the only gearbox problem that is showing for me at the moment on PuMA and maybe it could of effected any gearbox manual or Auto - but im blank on this one for the moment.

sorry guys :frown:

AndyP & Lenore
15th July 2008, 02:34 PM
Hey Andy, i just put this up as its the only gearbox problem that is showing for me at the moment on PuMA and maybe it could of effected any gearbox manual or Auto - but im blank on this one for the moment.

sorry guys :frown:

Nae bother. Good to have a supportive, understanding and non-condescending dealer employee contributing to the site.:thumbs up:

A.:D

Craig
15th July 2008, 06:33 PM
Let me describe....

- Does not happen all the time.
- Generally happens when car is cold (hard to tell that with no temp guage on the r56's)...and does it once only.
- Typically if I start car..accelerate up to 40mph and then try and drop it into 2nd at 40mph the gear it "crunches".
- It will select the gear, it is when you lift foot off clutch to engage drive / enginer braking.
- It then will happily go into 2nd gear from then on.
- Also happens when selecting 3rd at higher speeds.
- Appears to happen when just decelerating.
- Can happen up to 15 minutes after car started.

..it was consistent, about to put it in...and stoppped happening for a bit...but has returned. Inconsistent faults are always a pain for a delare to fix....

Fergus,

my first R56 had this problem and they replaced the flywheel and clutch with a modified flywheel and a new clutch. This fixed the problem and it never came back. I could make it happen at will tho, rather than being inconsistent. :eyes up:

maybe david could check that info for you.

C;)