PDA

View Full Version : Zeemax Kit Newbie(says bye!!)

miniFEF
20th March 2004, 11:09 PM
:DHey all! just found out about the site and joined straight away! Great seein all these mini owners who are as mad about the car as i am!!

Monsta Mo Mini
20th March 2004, 11:20 PM
Welcome to NMS. Another Zeemaxed MINI eh! You might have some competition on that front!;)

miniFEF
20th March 2004, 11:26 PM
Nice one you got the kit too yeah? whats your spec?

Gismo
21st March 2004, 12:13 AM
Welcome to the site, MMM is not the owner of the "other" zeemax kit, the car is owned by Julz and the car itself is in the current Fast & Modified :)

miniFEF
21st March 2004, 01:09 AM
yeah saw that in the mag!

Julz
21st March 2004, 02:10 AM
Ah, you wouldn't be the PW One from the Aberdeen area would you?? Nice choice of kit!!;):D

Willie M
21st March 2004, 02:28 AM
Welcome to NMS miniFEF :cool:

miniFEF
21st March 2004, 02:31 AM
yeah thats me! yeah the kits amazin! take it thats your car in fast n modified?

Julz
21st March 2004, 02:41 AM
it is indeed, you were spotted cruisin' aberdeen by our very own Mr. Pirie!! Where did you hear about the site??:p:D

miniFEF
21st March 2004, 02:56 AM
yeah know who you mean! one of the girls from work said she had joined it i never knew about til she mentioned it. must say your is lookin great! so did you get the kit directly from zeemax? where is it your from?

monkimagic
21st March 2004, 05:01 AM
Hi miniFEF

Welcome to NMS, I have seen you about Aberdeen, down by george street. Nice motor, some of us are meeting tomorrow down at the beach front for a drive out to westhill to see the wee mini march run, why not join us, wouldnt mind a closer look at your car ...

10am outside amadeus on the beach front :cool:

Monki

Linda M
21st March 2004, 11:55 PM
Welcome to NMS :)

Julz
22nd March 2004, 04:57 PM
quote:Originally posted by miniFEF

so did you get the kit directly from zeemax? where is it your from?

Yup, directly from Zeemax (and found a saint of a man to fit it!! I'm from the Perthish area!!:p

mr.b
22nd March 2004, 07:49 PM
alo there chap.

welcome loon and enjoy the madness.

Mini Martyn
22nd March 2004, 08:57 PM
Welcome to the site, I cant beleve i missed the Aberdeen run. :(

miniFEF
22nd March 2004, 09:13 PM
Yup, directly from Zeemax (and found a saint of a man to fit it!! I'm from the Perthish area!!:p
[/quote]

yeah i got my kit fitted for a great price from a quality garage! Was readin you had spacers put on? how much they cost? im gonna need bigger wheels too i think.my 17s fairly drown under those arches!!

Wul
22nd March 2004, 10:32 PM
Welcome to the party pal! (name the film guys!?)

Enjoy the banter MiniFEF!

Julz
22nd March 2004, 10:42 PM
The spacers are by H&R, but i think you can now get them from various mini part suppliers, have a look at some of the ads in GoMini!!:cool:

seany
22nd March 2004, 11:25 PM
hi mate, welcome to new mini scotland, any photos of your car?

miniFEF
23rd March 2004, 04:07 AM
got photos just need them onto the computer will do that over next few days!

AberdeenMini
23rd March 2004, 07:28 PM
Hello, seen your car going about union street, if your selling your wheels i'll take them off ya! :)

miniFEF
24th March 2004, 12:28 AM
hey - well yeah i am lookin to sell them. lookin to buy 19s!! what mini is yours then? what wheels you got on just now?

Julz
24th March 2004, 01:40 AM
I was going to get the 19's, but if you put 30mm spacers on, they will rub to high heaven!! Even with the 18's the rear arches and valance have cracked where they join due to the wheels rubbing when you hit a 2mm high bump!! Ah, but I just thought, have you lowered you mini?? Mines dropped 30mm!! Just a little warning!!;):D

minidriver#1
24th March 2004, 01:42 AM
i have 19s :P

miniFEF
24th March 2004, 03:29 AM
its not been lowered yet- i thought id leave it til i put on new alloys and see how much it needs lowered. the guy in the go mini first issue had 19s with the zeemax kit on and he lowered it 20 mm. would still need spacers tho eh?

minidriver#1
24th March 2004, 05:05 AM
with the zeemax, most definately. wouldnt look right without the wheels being flush wit the kit.

Julz
24th March 2004, 04:42 PM
Unfortunately, with 19's and lowering, a bit of modification to your actual bodywork is required, which I wanted to avoid!!:dead:

minidriver#1
24th March 2004, 07:06 PM
Julz, depending on the width, i have 7x19s which i can lower the car on by 30mm without arch work ;)

Julz
24th March 2004, 09:06 PM
Aye, but you don't have 30mm spacers on and that's what the Zeemax kit needs!!:sleepy:

minidriver#1
25th March 2004, 02:00 AM
aww yeh, forgot about that.

AberdeenMini
25th March 2004, 08:01 PM

hey - well yeah i am lookin to sell them. lookin to buy 19s!! what mini is yours then? what wheels you got on just now?

I've got 16'' star alloys at the moment, they're on an indie blue cooper with a black roof, my plate ends with ZPP. You really looking to sell?

miniFEF
26th March 2004, 01:49 AM
aw yeah know the ones you mean- yeah i am lookin to sell cos the kit needs to have bigger alloys on with it!!

MartinSullivan
30th March 2004, 08:33 PM
Welcome to NMS miniFEF. Glad to see another aberdeener. My girlfriends mum mentioned she had seen a pepper white with bodykit floating around - I still havent seen it yet. Who fitted ur Zeemax for you? Still debating whether to get it done.

miniFEF
31st March 2004, 09:39 AM
hey - yeah seems a fair amount of aberdeen folk are on here! yeah got the kit done bout 3 weeks ago by kinghorn autobody made a really good job i love the kit! aint cheap tho eh?! wot model you got? what colour?

Julz
31st March 2004, 04:49 PM
Don't know about you Jordan, but I wouldn't advise this kit to anyone!! The nightmare it was to get fitted, let alone the expense of the kit in the first place!! It would appear that there are better value for money kits out there!! Plus, mine is cracked to high heaven!!:dead:
p.s. did you get the spoiler too?? that's my favourite bittie!!:D

miniFEF
31st March 2004, 07:34 PM
yeah i do agree.The only problem i have is the back bumper is comin loose all the time cos i still have the standard exhaust! but goin up to turrif on tuesday to get my new exhaust fitted.
Your right about the other kits there are some really nice ones goin now.
oh yeah spoiler is definatly the best part looks so nice!!

MartinSullivan
31st March 2004, 08:01 PM
Mini is a EB cooper S - looking very grubby at the mo as it is constantly going back and forward between aberdeen and manchester at the mo. Thanx for the advice on the kit Jordan and Julz - might have to have a look around and see what other options are available. Thanks for the heads up on the body shop though.

Julz
31st March 2004, 09:32 PM

goin up to turrif on tuesday to get my new exhaust fitted.

OH!!!! Word of advice, don't!! That's where I got mine done and I've regretted it ever since, although I think it'll depend on what you go for! I have 6 silencers on mine and the internal noise is more than 5 times the legal allowance. The system cost me £570, took nearly 6 hours to fit and I hate it. I get a sore head and a constant ring in my ears every time I drive. I'm going to Eastside performance on saturday to get a whole new system fitted, which includes two specially made silencers by Peco, they also use better quality steel as my exhaust is already rusted to heck, they new system will cost less than £300!! It's entirely up to you, but I have 3 packs and 2 tins of Dynamat in my boot!! I think Turrif would be great for single exit exhausts and simple stuff, but not for what I got, but it's entirely up to you!!

miniFEF
2nd April 2004, 02:48 AM
hey julz- just read your reply noticed you werent happy with your turrif trip! i have experienced them messin up the lowerin of cars but thought they were clued up on the exhaust side of things!! i just dunno where else local to go!

Julz
2nd April 2004, 03:53 AM

i just dunno where else local to go!

Afraid I can't help you there, but Turriff was quite a drive for me, so depending on the outcome of my new exhaust, it might be worth the trip to Eastside (just outside Kinross) as I would definately recommend going for decent quality. It's up to you whther you go or not, but I'll keep you posted on Eastside, and if they're not up to scratch (they better be) Quik_mini has a contact for another place!!;):)

Big Gordy
2nd April 2004, 05:25 PM
There's a place in Stirling that gets a good name for making custom exhaust systems. I'll try and find out what there called :p:D:approve:

AberdeenMini
2nd April 2004, 08:17 PM
miniFEF you could always try Wallace Performance, i am pretty sure they do customised exhaust systems.

miniFEF
3rd April 2004, 05:07 AM
cheers guys for your advice and recommendations.not sure wot il do cos there is so much still needin done to the car and i dunno where to start!!

Julz
3rd April 2004, 05:54 AM
I'll give you as much help and advice as I can, and if I haven't got the mod you're after, I'm sure Bonnie Scotland will!! I just wouldn't like you spending lots of money and regretting it like I do!! <crosses fingers and hopes Eastside work their magic tomorrow!!>;):clown:

miniFEF
3rd April 2004, 06:12 AM
thanx julz!! well goodluck tomoro let us know the outcome!!

yiponwah
3rd April 2004, 09:28 AM
If u want exhaust, come to freeflow in bathgate..

miniFEF
4th April 2004, 07:56 PM
YOU RECKON A CENTRE EXIT WOULD LOOK GOOD FOR MY EXHAUST? COS IVE ONLY SEEN THE ZEEMAX KIT WITH TWIN EXIT BUT I FANCY SOMETHIN DIFFERENT!

Julz
5th April 2004, 05:16 AM
There's another option for you, Freeflow, cause Yip's exhaust is rather tasty I must say!! As for my exhaust, I now have two 12x9" boxes just prior to the exits, it's cut down the low speed racket dramatically, but between 75 and 95mph, the noise is still there, after 95, it goes a bit quieter!! Unfortunately, Eastside have told me that this is the best they can do with the back end, so I'll have to book back in and get the front end sorted too!!:(

p.s. They say the work carried out by Turriff tyres was really good, some excellent welding and the system was nicely laid out, it's just that Powerflow exhausts are pish due to the very poor quality of material they provide, if only Turriff would do some decent system!!:eek::dead:

broken_brian
5th April 2004, 07:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy

There's a place in Stirling that gets a good name for making custom exhaust systems. I'll try and find out what there called :p:D:approve:

that would be mmv performance in the drip road it is powerflow exhausts that they make.

miniFEF
7th April 2004, 08:23 PM
I went ahead with the powerflow exhaust. got it fitted yesterday in turrif its sound and looks great!! but thanx for everyones advice.

Julz
7th April 2004, 08:46 PM

I went ahead with the powerflow exhaust. got it fitted yesterday in turrif its sound and looks great!! but thanx for everyones advice.

What did you get then?? We want piccies!!:D

minidriver#1
7th April 2004, 10:52 PM
aye, hurry with the pictures! :P

miniFEF
9th April 2004, 02:33 PM
I went for the centre exit i chose twin pipe didnt think single looked right! they are a hard shape to describe- kind of oval but with a wide facing if that makes any sense!! looks good tho just need the mesh back on and then il take those pictures! and its one hell of a sound im gettin now!!

Julz
9th April 2004, 03:44 PM
As long as it's not too loud inside as the novelty soon wears off!!:dead: I like the exits I have on my exhaust, and that's why Eastside cut them off and stuck them on my new twin 12x9" silencers!!:eek::p

miniFEF
12th April 2004, 12:47 AM
na its not too loud just enough to create a nice purr! im a nightmare tho cos now that the exhausts taken care of im wantin my new alloys now!! its never endin but wouldnt have it any other way!!

miniFEF
14th April 2004, 02:23 AM
hey folks just wondered if anyone knew prices of wheel spacers of hand? or any companies i can call?

Julz
14th April 2004, 03:49 PM
XS Motorsport in Glasgow supplied mine!! Can't find their number at the mo cause it'll be in my desk drawer, which is locked, and the key is on my mini keys and I have Herbie with me today..... ANYWAY, a search on Google may help get their number. Ask to speak to Lynsey!! 30mm all round is what I've got and mahe sure you get the H&R ones as they're TUV Approved!!;) Good luck!!:D

AH-HA, 01698 459000 (just looked it up meself!!)

seany
14th April 2004, 08:43 PM
any pic yet!!!!!

miniFEF
14th April 2004, 10:55 PM
thanx julz il give them a call! and yeah i sent a couple of photos for the gallery but doesnt look like they have gone on!
il get some on somehow!!

Julz
14th April 2004, 11:55 PM
If you email the pics to me, I'll host 'em and post 'em for ya!!;)

Scottie
20th April 2004, 11:02 PM
Hi,

I have just joined this site and I am also a ZeeMax person.

In fact if you look at the zeemax.com website my car is the electric blue one.

I have done the inside re leathered everything you can see apart from the carpet!

ICE Kenwood Sat Nav with a base in the boot. Not bother with dvd as no one is every in the back to watch it.

Waiting on big brake kit for rear at the moment should arrive any day.

miniFEF
21st April 2004, 12:15 AM
Superb! so where you from? how long you had the kit? you get it fitted down at zeemax?
sounds and looks like you have spent a v.large amount of cash eh?! must say is pays off!!

miniFEF
21st April 2004, 12:21 AM
hey julz - just spoke to that number you gave me for spacers! they said they dont even do spacers that big cos the problems they cos!! wot you reckon? seems pretty strange!!

Scottie
21st April 2004, 12:52 AM
Hi,

I am from Inverness during the week and Falkirk at the weekends.
I have had the kit since October of Last year and yes it was fitted by the people Barry at Zeemax use. The interior was done by Barry.Yes I have spent a lot of cash. But you just can't help but smile when you drive it.

miniFEF
21st April 2004, 02:49 AM
couldnt agree more the attention it receives is actually unbelievable!! think barry mentioned you when i got the kit said someone from scotland had the interior done aswell as the kit. interior is on my plans aswell just gettin the alloys sorted first!!

Scottie
21st April 2004, 04:38 AM
What alloys are you getting. I am looking for another set19's five stud. The Zeemax ones I have are cool but when I had the car in storage over the winter they have corroded a wee bit around the nuts (didn,t think till it was to late. washed the car but did not dry the wheels) stored for six months. so I want another set to change with.
You should get the interior done but it bumps up the insurance something awful.

miniFEF
21st April 2004, 07:33 AM
ordered kahn-RSC's in 18inch with spacers. thats a shame about your alloys cos they are a crackin set! how come you had the car stored up? you done any magazine shoots? so you had your mini long or you get the kit on when you got it?

Julz
21st April 2004, 04:11 PM
thornef, I remember speaking to Barry when you got your kit cause I got mine in July and by October he was still trying to convince me to get big chrome wheels, but I didn't go for them due to the corrosion problems cause my car is an everyday, every weather car!!:D

As for the spacers, I will try and remember to look for my receipt to make sure it was XS I got them from!! As for the size, the H&R ones are TUV approved, which is good enough for me and I've not had any problems!!;)

Scottie
21st April 2004, 06:49 PM
Hi,

It is my own fault about the alloys.

I had a grey MCS (never liked the colour) went into BMW as I wanted to get the wroks conversion but decided I would change the car. Anyway picked the car up at the end of August drove it down to Norfolk to Zeemax picked the car up again in the October went past Peterborough to get the ice done. Arrived home at Inverness washed the car then put cover on and stored in garage only moving the car every two weeks so I wouldn't get flat spots on tyres. The car came out two weeks ago and has only covered 1100 miles.

I have owned a mini since 1985 and it is my second car I do not need to use it everyday. I just love my wee car and like making it look a bit different.

Yes I have two magazines coming up to do some shots in the summer although small photos have alreay been in Mini World.

I like the Kahn's youre getting thats what I've got on my Lexus X300 really good wheels but I want 19" a just a bit different but I must admit I am struggling.

Julz
21st April 2004, 06:57 PM
I was put off from using 19's as I did not want the actual bodywork altered! As for the chrome wheels, I think they'd have a bit of a bad reaction to all our salty roads in winter!!
So what mags are you doing??:clown:

Scottie
21st April 2004, 07:30 PM
Hi,
I wasn't aware that the actual body work altered! Apart when the ZeeMax kit.

seany
21st April 2004, 10:11 PM
hi fiona, welcome to the site. i have been keeping an eye out for you in inverness, but have never see you, the wife past you once.

Julz
21st April 2004, 10:46 PM
I have 18's and spacers and it rubs like hell when you hit a bump or have anything in the boot. The fitting instructions state that if 19's are to be used, the bodywork at the wheel arch needs altered. I didn't want to touch any metal work at all due to future rust problems etc.

Scottie
21st April 2004, 10:47 PM
Hi,

What road do you travel and what mini do you have.

seany
21st April 2004, 10:50 PM
the two that run around in inverness, with www.newminiscotland.co.uk on the front.

Scottie
21st April 2004, 10:50 PM
Hi,

I must be lucky or perhaps its the body shop Barry uses but I run on my 19's whithout any alterations and everything is fine.

Scottie
21st April 2004, 10:52 PM
Hi,

I will keep a eye out for you I'll flash whether I am in my cooper of Lexus.

seany
21st April 2004, 10:55 PM
ok me 2

seany
21st April 2004, 10:57 PM
any photos

Julz
21st April 2004, 11:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by thornef

Hi,

I must be lucky or perhaps its the body shop Barry uses but I run on my 19's whithout any alterations and everything is fine.

Are you sure!? If Zeemax fitted the 19's for you inline with their bodyshop, I've no doubt body alterations were made! The way my kit sits now, there is not a hope in heck that the wheels would turn with 19's, I wish they would though:p:D

Scottie
21st April 2004, 11:15 PM
Hi,

Leave it with me will let you know for sure in a wee while. Will get hubby to check.

Scottie
21st April 2004, 11:55 PM
Hi,
Hi,
My hubby has checked.
I have checked with Barry @ Zeemax no change has been made to the body of the car metal or otherwise when fitting the kit. Apart from the spacers and a bit of plastic been shaved from inside the wheel arch thats it.

Will be posting photos once I get the pc set up for the digital camera.

Was thinking about getting some airbrush done along the side and maybe airbrush bonnett stripes but still thinking at the moment.

Julz
22nd April 2004, 03:29 AM
Had a wee thought, and yes, it does happen sometimes, have you lowered your car??:clown:

Scottie
22nd April 2004, 04:59 PM
Hi,

I haven't bothered did not want to go down that road. It's low enough.
I feel there is so much you can do to a car then there's to much if you know what I mean.

miniFEF
23rd April 2004, 12:35 AM
hey! yeah had a long conversation with barry the other day about which wheels to choose and which size was best! He was tellin me how the zeemax wheels are specially made to compliment the kit as id mentioned the use of the 30mm spacers which he was really against usin. however ive ordered the kahn RSCs in 18s so wait and see! they better look the part cos they fairly damage the bank account!!!

Julz
23rd April 2004, 02:39 AM
of course he's against spacers, it means your car will look crap without them and you then need to spend a huge amount of money on a set of his wheels!!

thornef, if your car ain't lowered that would explain the lack of bodily modilys!!;)

ah-ha, rummaged through my receipts, Motorsport Wheels 0141 643 3900, ask for Lynsey!! For all four spacers (2 sets!!) I was £211.50 (incl. VAT)!!;):D

miniFEF
23rd April 2004, 02:59 AM
super! thanx for that. and yeah i knew wot barry would be gettin at just like when he wanted me to go down to him and get the kit fitted!! but he seems a good guy never the less!!

Julz
23rd April 2004, 03:03 AM
He was the same with me, claiming that no-one could fit the kit as well as them, and only their wheels would do, BUT, when my superman bodyshop guy had a few queries, apparently Barry was exceedingly helpful, so hats off to him!!;):D

miniFEF
23rd April 2004, 03:26 AM
true!! bout the photos i have heaps at the ready but i get the new alloys on tue so il hold out postin any til then!!!

Scottie
23rd April 2004, 06:39 PM
have you spoke to Andy minisport padiham you may get your'e spacers there cheaper.

Like Barry he's another one that knows his stuff.

I just placed a order with Barry for another set of wheels so I can have two sets keeping one goog. Mug maybe but what the hell.

miniFEF
23rd April 2004, 10:39 PM
did you just get the same alloys again or different? not a mug i wouldnt say no to a couple of sets of his alloys they look the part!!

Scottie
23rd April 2004, 10:56 PM
If you go into his website and look at picture zm11 that's the ones.

seany
23rd April 2004, 11:18 PM
thonef, were did you hear about the site

Scottie
24th April 2004, 12:02 AM
Hi,
I heard about zeemax some years ago and then I met Barry at the Mini 40th when I owned a "original mini". I liked his worked an still do.

www.zeemax.com mines the eb.

Julz
24th April 2004, 12:21 AM
I realise now how low my car sits when I see yours!! As for the pic of the big brakes (not looked at this site for a while), they don't look that big, or is it just a bad pic?? I like the black with the viper stripes, very tasty!!:D

Scottie
24th April 2004, 12:35 AM
Hi,

Not sure how big "big Brakes are" the ones on my car are AP. brakes.
Cost me £900 smakers.

Big Brakes for rear arriving in two weeks.

Seany if u want to see my car let me know. We have quite a few visitors wanting a closer look as we are on the Tore to Muir of Ord road can not miss the car.

Julz
24th April 2004, 05:14 AM
I know the feeling, I get wee kids trying to peek through the hedge when the car is outside, and when you tell them to come in, there's about 8 of them!! Most of them know the car from the magazine and it's funny when you see a hand holding a camera phone over the gates!!:p

miniFEF
24th April 2004, 06:47 AM
yeah or when someone nearly crashes into you while their passenger tries to take a photo!!!

seany
24th April 2004, 08:32 PM
George from Calterdon did say yous were from muir of ord, but work in the lomgman, yea i would like to see a closeup.

Scottie
26th April 2004, 05:35 PM
that's me. come along any night during the week no problem.

seany
26th April 2004, 09:49 PM
past the house on sunday when i and the wife were on a wee mini run or self, looks good from the road.

miniFEF
7th May 2004, 11:51 PM
hey after nearly 3 weeks my alloys are on!! thats the car pretty much finished!ive taken new photos so ive sent some down to a few magazines so hopefully il get a wee feature somewhere!

miniFEF
10th July 2004, 06:30 PM
it worked!! sendin off my photos paid off - Go Mini are comin up to shoot the car on wednesday! so excited!!

seany
10th July 2004, 08:20 PM
what about posting some on here?

miniFEF
7th August 2004, 07:38 PM
hey seany if you havent seen pictures already go to page 4 or 5 of the aberdeen boulie bash cruise from the other day. there is some pics of my car there.

seany
9th August 2004, 09:29 PM
ok, thanks

r15col
11th August 2004, 03:35 AM
Has this turned into the biggest welcome so far on NMS?

seany
11th August 2004, 03:38 AM
yeap, how did you guess?

miniFEF
8th November 2004, 10:59 PM
hey everybody! just sayin a big thankyou and goodbye to all. i finally parted company with miniFEF on Thur nite. tearful to say the least. had such a good time owning that car! its still yet to be in Go Mini been waitin ages for it to be in!!

Sold the car to a top guy called gary stays down perth area. he has lots more planned for FEF should be interestin to see what he has in mind! think he is registering on here soon(he better) so please make him feel as welcome as i was made.

Thanks for all your help and fun. jordan:D

MartinSullivan
8th November 2004, 11:06 PM
Thanks for all your help and fun. jordan:D

Whats happening with the cabriolet???

miniFEF
8th November 2004, 11:10 PM
hey martin its not happenin. wasnt that fond of it look wise with the roof up and i was still gettin stupid quotes on an 'S' so looks like its no minis for me.

Scottie
8th November 2004, 11:51 PM

hey martin its not happenin. wasnt that fond of it look wise with the roof up and i was still gettin stupid quotes on an 'S' so looks like its no minis for me.

What you getting then:eek:

miniFEF
12th November 2004, 11:54 AM
just got my MG TF Convertible yesterday - lovely wee car! never gonna compare to the fun of my mini tho!! nice pic of FEF in this months Go Mini - well chuffed!

Mini Me
16th November 2004, 04:55 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Gordy

Pentagon Glass Tech in stirling can have any exhaust made,they showed me a cracker today on a cooper ,looks like the JCW works but LOUDER !!!!!!!:evil:;)