PDA

View Full Version : New JCW R56 S Cooper works

N12 JLK
7th July 2008, 07:22 PM
We were at Edinburgh zoo today and popped into Eastern Mini and have booked a wee test drive in the new JCW car coming out very soon, booked for Sat 26th July, will keep you all posted on the performance,looks etc. Canny wait.

Colin
7th July 2008, 07:58 PM
So is this gonna be your next MINI :yes nod:.

N12 JLK
7th July 2008, 08:45 PM
So is this gonna be your next MINI :yes nod:.

maybe:rolleyes:

Crombers
7th July 2008, 10:48 PM
Another MINI unwanted, you guys are just plain cold man :thud:

Mini Ecosse
8th July 2008, 07:37 AM
will keep you all posted on the performance,looks etc. Canny wait.

Make sure you do:thumbs up:
Stephen

illegalhunter
8th July 2008, 09:14 AM
Jason you will get RAPED on the trade in .

N12 JLK
8th July 2008, 09:31 PM

Maybe but eastern are one of the best places I heard of on a trade in, Ian King got a great price for his.

Gismo
8th July 2008, 10:31 PM
Maybe but eastern are one of the best places I heard of on a trade in, Ian King got a great price for his.Trust me, try JC's ;)

ELFMAN
9th July 2008, 08:28 AM

JEEZ! :moonie::eek: Not going THERE for a new motor........:blush::hand: Maybe it's a Japanese/Honda tradition?:smilewinkgrin:

Craig
9th July 2008, 09:20 AM
Maybe but eastern are one of the best places I heard of on a trade in, Ian King got a great price for his.

sorry, can't agree with you there Jason, as they gave me the same trade-in price as Ian King and I went to them 8 months previous with a higher spec car and MUCH less miles :ragin::ragin:

I travelled as you know for my last car and the guy gave me more than £1000 more for my trade-in. At the time Eastern were sponsors aswell which made it even worse... :frown::frown:

N12 JLK
9th July 2008, 07:39 PM
will wait and see, as I thought Menzies never phoned me today, there's a surprise:frown:

illegalhunter
9th July 2008, 10:29 PM
Are you thinking of getting one Jason.

weefossy
10th July 2008, 08:21 PM
I fancy one as well Jason, but I'm not sure Mom (Grannie) will part with The Van. Also worried the suspension might be a bit "stiff" for us oldies.
What colour do you fancy....Red? Think I would go for another White one.

N12 JLK
11th July 2008, 08:08 PM
Chilli Red, black roof, will see what happens after our test drive on getting one.

Scottie
11th July 2008, 09:54 PM
I reckon you will be offered between 11.5k to 13k top book.

Let us know the trade value

jaffamaster
23rd July 2008, 11:46 AM
Read an article about it last week in the paper, it said they were 21k, what spec are you likely to get for that or is that the starting price?

FergusM
23rd July 2008, 01:34 PM
Starting spec...and we all know that in no way represents the spec we inevitably end up with.

...or was that just me...

AndyP & Lenore
23rd July 2008, 11:29 PM
Read an article about it last week in the paper, it said they were 21k, what spec are you likely to get for that or is that the starting price?

Starting spec...and we all know that in no way represents the spec we inevitably end up with.

...or was that just me...

Thats the starting spec, but you actually get some toys for the money this time. Aero kit included.

We priced up one to match the spec of our R56. it came out at about £500 dearer, so all the bitching on here about how overpriced they are is not necessarily true.

A.

KenL
24th July 2008, 01:08 PM
Thats the starting spec, but you actually get some toys for the money this time. Aero kit included.

What is included that would be an extra on a "normal" R56 please?

Craig
24th July 2008, 03:24 PM
What is included that would be an extra on a "normal" R56 please?

From memory

Aero Kit
JCW Brakes
Some graphics in the dash
Red writing on Gear Knob
JCW Exhaust (With less restriction than one on A & L's Car)
JCW Air Filter
Engine Remap to 211hp
Shorter throw gear box
JCW Challenge Wheels

Think thats all, although this is just from memory so may be slightly different. ;):thumbs up:

KenL
24th July 2008, 03:33 PM
"Red writing on gearknob"!

That would put me off buying one, how tacky :smilewinkgrin:

ianking
24th July 2008, 04:00 PM
Im sure it has piano black dash and anthracite roof as standard as well.

Ken, I wouldnt let the red markings on the gear knob put you off, you could always change that. :rolleyes:

Big Gordy
25th July 2008, 08:36 AM
so all the bitching on here about how overpriced they are is not necessarily true.

:eek: It's still 21 grand...........which I think is a hell of a lot of money for a mini:ragin:

Gismo
25th July 2008, 08:44 AM
:eek: It's still 21 grand...........which I think is a hell of a lot of money for a mini:ragin:Still less than what i paid for my current JCW Cooper S :rolleyes:

Big Gordy
25th July 2008, 09:43 AM
Aye but your middle name's Carnagie:moonie:

Big Gordy
25th July 2008, 09:46 AM
Much as I love our wee mini there is no way I'd spend over 21 grand on one:eek: There are just too many better cars....second hand mind you:eyes up:...that you could get for that kinda money:smilewinkgrin:

illegalhunter
25th July 2008, 04:50 PM
I spent 22k on mine

N12 JLK
25th July 2008, 09:05 PM
I would spend the money on one, hopefully next year we will get one, nothing on the market gives me as much joy as a MINI and I have driven the new JCW car and its brill, just look at the write up the recent edition of auto express give it, stunnin car:thumbs up:

stephen forrest
25th July 2008, 09:26 PM
i paid 24k for my last cooper s

illegalhunter
25th July 2008, 09:40 PM
i paid 24k for my last cooper s
Whats the spec on that baby?

N12 JLK
25th July 2008, 10:27 PM
Whats the spec on that baby?

Bib, nappy, push chair and dummy:thumbs up:

Scottie
25th July 2008, 10:50 PM
how much!!!:eek::eek::eek:

I'd never spend anything like that on a Mini

AndyP & Lenore
25th July 2008, 10:51 PM
:eek: It's still 21 grand...........which I think is a hell of a lot of money for a mini:ragin:

Gordy, it is a hell of a lot of money for a MINI. But you get hell of a lot of car for your £21 grand.

Everyone has a vice. MINI's are ours.

A.:thumbs up:

N12 JLK
26th July 2008, 06:00 PM
Gordy, it is a hell of a lot of money for a MINI. But you get hell of a lot of car for your £21 grand.

Everyone has a vice. MINI's are ours.

A.:thumbs up:

Its only money, you cant take it with you, mind you i would take it with me I dont want some other bugger spendin my hard earned cash. Sorry changed ma mind:argh:

KenL
26th July 2008, 08:21 PM
Ken, I wouldnt let the red markings on the gear knob put you off, you could always change that. :rolleyes:

:blush: I was only joking :smilewinkgrin:

I wish I had the spare cash to buy one. I bet it is fantastic :thumbs up:

ELFMAN
30th July 2008, 12:55 PM
'Evo' mag (who USUALLY get things fairly spot-on and have had high praise for MINIs in the past) don't seem totally convinced....yet. Fantastic engine & Brakes, BUT they took the first one they tested back to Plant Oxford as they thought there was something wrong with the suspension(!). BMW said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. The replacement was better, but it got quite 'unruly' and had to be 'wrestled' when pushed hard on lumpier (ie normal) roads. I haven't tried one, but what they say has echoes of the original '01 'Sports Plus' set-up, great on good (German) roads, but not so hot on broken (UK) ones... it's the old adage - 'power is nothing without control'. EVO actually compared it with the old Focus RS and its peculiar 'Diffy' behaviour on our roads, though they DID like the new diff for the corners. EVO didn't specify exactly which suspension the car was running - standard 'S'? Sports? or the stiffer JCW setup, which I thought was a bit of a basic omission from the article, especially when they were complaining about that very area. Our very own Stoney has driven one and thought it was great - but as we all know, he's mental. (No offence Rob!). 'Modern MINI' loved it, but I sometimes think they tend to get a wee bit 'rose tinted' when dealing with new BMW product, maybe they don't want to upset them....

I'm not selling my motor, but if I was I'd be tempted to go for a year-old R56 S and get a re-map, exhaust, big brakes, sorted supension, stick my Works Seats in it, have a 200bhp 'sleeper' and still save many quid over the JCW S. Still, you pays your money..... Obviously I'd really have to have a shot in one, but at about a 5K premium over a new S, it'd have to be exceptional. Still p*sses me off that you don't get the Recaros without paying extra - that's just mean! Jury's still out for me.

stoney
30th July 2008, 02:02 PM
'Evo' mag (who USUALLY get things fairly spot-on and have had high praise for MINIs in the past) don't seem totally convinced....yet. Fantastic engine & Brakes, BUT they took the first one they tested back to Plant Oxford as they thought there was something wrong with the suspension(!). BMW said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. The replacement was better, but it got quite 'unruly' and had to be 'wrestled' when pushed hard on lumpier (ie normal) roads. I haven't tried one, but what they say has echoes of the original '01 'Sports Plus' set-up, great on good (German) roads, but not so hot on broken (UK) ones... it's the old adage - 'power is nothing without control'. EVO actually compared it with the old Focus RS and its peculiar 'Diffy' behaviour on our roads, though they DID like the new diff for the corners. EVO didn't specify exactly which suspension the car was running - standard 'S'? Sports? or the stiffer JCW setup, which I thought was a bit of a basic omission from the article, especially when they were complaining about that very area. Our very own Stoney has driven one and thought it was great - but as we all know, he's mental. (No offence Rob!). 'Modern MINI' loved it, but I sometimes think they tend to get a wee bit 'rose tinted' when dealing with new BMW product, maybe they don't want to upset them....

I'm not selling my motor, but if I was I'd be tempted to go for a year-old R56 S and get a re-map, exhaust, big brakes, sorted supension, stick my Works Seats in it, have a 200bhp 'sleeper' and still save many quid over the JCW S. Still, you pays your money..... Obviously I'd really have to have a shot in one, but at about a 5K premium over a new S, it'd have to be exceptional. Still p*sses me off that you don't get the Recaros without paying extra - that's just mean! Jury's still out for me.

yes it was a very good car and for the 21k its well specked brakes exusast ......

but the one thing i have to say is jumped back in my jcw s and it felt very simler the only thing about the new one is it has more pull out the corners due to the LSD but you can put one of them in my mini now !! and felt like it pulled beter low down the power range but a re map will sort that in my car :thumbs up: so all in all it was a cracking car to drive you can have some proper fun sliding round to corners in it also if you drive it right it will power round a corner real well also the dtc is so good you can set it in 3 diffrent ways depending on how you want to drive :cool:

yes i would bye one if i could :thumbs up:

will see what happens next year after the wedding ;)

now this is me and what i think i am no car test driver but as most of you know i like to push on some times i gave the little beast some stik i did not hold back

illegalhunter
30th July 2008, 03:39 PM
how much!!!:eek::eek::eek:

I'd never spend anything like that on a Mini
What , about the JCW convertale

MiniSnaps
30th July 2008, 04:32 PM
It's still 21 grand...........which I think is a hell of a lot of money for a mini:ragin:

Still less than this cost back in 2003 :eyes up:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3204/2716424777_9c28b1fd2d.jpg

thechief
1st August 2008, 09:48 PM
So if £21k is alot for a mini what would you buy instead???

The mini I've bought is £24k, the only other new car I would have bought was an S3 which was awful value when specced at £30k.

The only other things I'd buy over it is a second hand Z4M coupe or a Boxster S (which are both about £30-35k). Largely irellevent though as they are both second hand.

If the JCW is too much then I'd recommend a Clio 197, brilliant cars.

N12 JLK
1st August 2008, 09:59 PM
I'm pining after one:eyes up: but hey We have a super S at the moment and will look at it again in the spring, never know if one of the dealers were to call us later in the year with one of there demonstrator JC cars we may bit, either chilli red or pepper white.

thechief
1st August 2008, 10:00 PM
Our current Cooper S is pepper white, I really wish they would do a clean looking, fresh white though.

Gismo
1st August 2008, 10:07 PM
Our current Cooper S is pepper white, I really wish they would do a clean looking, fresh white though.Oh no, pepper white is stunning :thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
1st August 2008, 10:11 PM
I'm pining after one:eyes up:.

Then go buy one, you can't take your money with you.:smilewinkgrin:

N12 JLK
1st August 2008, 10:33 PM
Then go buy one, you can't take your money with you.:smilewinkgrin:

Wait till spring time 09 plate:thumbs up:

Scottie
1st August 2008, 10:44 PM
wait till the face lift that's what I would do I wouldn't buy a JCW:rolleyes::rolleyes:

N12 JLK
1st August 2008, 10:56 PM
When is face lift.........for the MINI not for me:hand:

Scottie
1st August 2008, 11:09 PM
no idea really but was told Sept 09 ish maybe before maybe after.

Mini Ecosse
9th September 2008, 06:36 PM
Test drive in JCW at Douglas Parks today.
We thought it was awsome
Not available in blue :argh:

Will wait till next year and decide then whether or not to take the plunge

Stephen

tonyjac
10th September 2008, 08:21 AM
what colour is the car stephen?what sort of spec ?:cool:

Neil and Lorna
10th September 2008, 09:13 AM
Spoke to Ryan at JC's yesterday.

Ours is now built and awaiting transportation to Dundee.:thumbs up:

Neil and Lorna.:D:D:D

gauldrymini
10th September 2008, 09:53 AM
Neil

Bet you can't wait...It is an awesome car:D

Andrew

Mini Ecosse
10th September 2008, 01:28 PM
what colour is the car stephen?what sort of spec ?:cool:

red, not a great spec. Worth giving them a call for test drive. Car normally at Hamilton garage but will bring through to Glasgow if handier.

Stephen

thechief
10th September 2008, 06:55 PM
Spoke to Ryan at JC's yesterday.

Ours is now built and awaiting transportation to Dundee.:thumbs up:

Neil and Lorna.:D:D:D

Oooooh, going to have to phone about mine now :cool:

Neil and Lorna
16th September 2008, 08:58 AM
Of to JC's today will post some pics later.

Woo Hoo canny wait.:D:D:D:D:D:D:thumbs up:

Neil and Lorna.

ianking
16th September 2008, 09:01 AM
Of to JC's today will post some pics later.

Woo Hoo canny wait.:D:D:D:D:D:D:thumbs up:

Neil and Lorna.

Going up for a look at the car or going up to collect it.

Please dont post up that many pics and if you do can you take all the pics from a distance of about 1 mile. Your pics might end up costing me a small fortune. :smilewinkgrin:

Neil and Lorna
16th September 2008, 09:15 AM
Going up for a look at the car or going up to collect it.

Please dont post up that many pics and if you do can you take all the pics from a distance of about 1 mile. Your pics might end up costing me a small fortune. :smilewinkgrin:

To collect.:thumbs up:

Neil.

thechief
16th September 2008, 12:22 PM
Mine is dragging its heals :ragin:

Hopefully only be another 1-2 weeks :D

gauldrymini
16th September 2008, 01:03 PM
Mine is dragging its heals :ragin:

Hopefully only be another 1-2 weeks :D

Patience...well worth the wait:D:thumbs up: I have the Edition 30 today and I miss the wee beast:frown:

Andrew

micromachine
17th September 2008, 05:14 PM
Still less than what i paid for my current JCW Cooper S :rolleyes:
But then you did buy something special!!!:thumbs up: