PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please

audrey
7th July 2008, 12:21 AM
While out driving into town yesterday heard a strange noise that seemed to be coming from the front passenger side wheel tried to ignore it even turned music up to try and drown it out. When got out of te car smelled burning anyway on the way home pressed the brake to stop at the lights and the pedal started vibrating could someone tell me if this is the brake discs needing replaced and if so how much to replace. All help appreciated

AndyP & Lenore
7th July 2008, 01:04 AM
Audrey, what you're describing could be many things, warped discs being one of them. Not sure that would give you a burning smell though.

My advice would be to get your car into a garage as soon as possible and get it checked out by a professional. Anything that makes your brake pedal vibrate ain't right.

And, well, erm, can I just say, turning the music up is not a sensible approach to fixing a problem.:blush: It may prevent you from hearing it, but it doesn't make it go away.:blush::thud:

A.:D

ianking
7th July 2008, 08:37 AM
Could be a warped disc but I dont think that wouuld cause the smell. Could be that the pads have worn right down and are now running the backing plate on the disc. Worse case is that the caliper could be stuck on a bit and that has worn the pad down very quickly. However if the caliper was stuck on a wee bit you would have felt the car pulling to one side a wee bit.

If the pads are worn to the plate then you will need new discs as well as the face of the disc will be scored.

Not sure you much garages take to fit these parts as I always just change them my self.

audrey
7th July 2008, 11:28 AM
Gonna take it to the garage today thanks for your replies will let you know how I get on probably cost a fortune hope not thanks again :thumbs up:

audrey
13th July 2008, 12:53 AM
well so much for me thinking the noise was coming from the front wheel :eyes up::eyes up: It was coming from the back wheels needed new brake discs and pads seems to be ok now :yes nod: