PDA

View Full Version : Italian Job Driving School

Davidson2
20th March 2004, 12:35 AM
Bought the name Italian Job Driving School in a sneeky but legal way. The plan is to update my Mini to a Cooper or Cooper S to teach Learners, Advanced Driving & Instructors.

Would appreciate feed back on:
Is this tacky?
Would you be happy if it was your child taking lessons in this? Would it just look like the Dogs B0110ck5?
Would you spend £25 per hour?
Would it still look professional?

Many thanks for any feed back

Julz
20th March 2004, 01:19 AM
Can I book some lessons?? I think as long as the car is areo-kitted and looks a bit like the ones in the film, it'll be great!!!!:D:D

Big Gordy
20th March 2004, 01:26 AM
In answer to your questions,
Q:Is this tacky?
A:Naaaaaaa I don't think so. Most people would find it quite amusing I think.
Q:Would you be happy if it was your child taking lessons in this? A:Are you joking! Where are you located? My son/daughter would find it a hoot being taught by an 'Italian Job' instructor.
Q:Would it just look like the Dogs B0110ck5?
A:Its a cheeky angle so work it. I think it will work
Q:Would you spend £25 per hour?
A:Don't know! Whats the norm? and whats your success rate?
Q:Would it still look professional?
A:Ohh I think so its just a cheeky angle to make your company stand out from the others.

Gismo
20th March 2004, 02:34 AM
I think all your questions are ok, Big Gordy hit on the right thing though, you will be judged on the pass rate of your pupils, good luck

Duncan Stewart
20th March 2004, 04:38 AM
Great idea Davidson! Answer is no, yes, yes, yes, yes. I wouldn't like you insurance bill for learners in a Coop S tho

Wul
20th March 2004, 05:50 AM
Go for it! Think of the advertising angles - if i were you though i'd stick to the cooper if only for the fact it has five gears - how hard is it learning to drive in a ONE with 90 odd bhp and 5 gears then think about another 70 odd horses more and and extra gear!:eek:

Davidson2
21st March 2004, 02:21 AM
Wow you guys are great. Really appreciate all the feed back:D

Ok, Julz & Wul; you both had a good point, 'if it looks good it must be good' that approach certainly works and I didn't even give the 6 gear thing a thought, so thanks Wul.;)

Big Gordy & Bonnie Scotland; The cheeky angle started when I managed to get the name I think, almost needed the help of the 'Nappster' to get it. :p So yea, aim to exploit that angle for as long as is Legally possible.:clown:
Few people ask about pass rates, since I got the Mini... they just want Mini, but my pass rate is more than double national average anyway (62% 1st Time Pass, 31% 2nd time & 7% third time.) :)

Duncan; An ADI's insurance is peanuts, cos were Professionals, (although you wouldn't know it watching them drive sometimes!) the Insurance on the Cooper S worked out at under £800:):D:cool:

Cheers Guys, prob see most of you tonight.;)

Linda M
21st March 2004, 11:50 PM
Sounds pretty cool to me Davidson :cool:

monkimagic
22nd March 2004, 05:11 AM
Lovin it, I agree with these guys, you need an angle in buisness and this is definatly an angle, every one knows the italian job so everyone will remember you, but alas it is all abut results, dont spend to much time looking in windows at your car while your pupils mess up.

Goodluck

Monki

bpirie1000
22nd March 2004, 05:11 PM
Go For it.. The Only Thing is you might just get Young Drivers who think they can go sooper fast as there in the Itallian Job Mini??

Think you could possible just get a Diesel Mini and change the Bonnet and skirts and such like then your half way there and think of the fuel bill you will save, and make it easier for the pupils to drive..

Might cause a problem with warranty check this out first. I know ford will not entertain the likes of a clutch for a driving school.... Worth checking.. Unless you already have done...

But yip I think your on a winner there.

Cheers Brian

mr.b
23rd March 2004, 01:20 AM
Boooo, was hoping you were gonna teach us all how to drive along train tracks and through culverts etc....

seriously though, what a cheekily little plan and i wish you all the best. if i had kids and they were learning to drive, i'd send them to you....

duncan
23rd March 2004, 02:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by mr.b

Boooo, was hoping you were gonna teach us all how to drive along train tracks ....

Don't need a Driving Instructor for that, there's plenty idiots that do that every year. I've seen the effects, and there's only 1 winner, and its not the car!

Oh, and it's Railway Line, not train tracks!

weefossy
23rd March 2004, 08:45 AM
Davidson, you know what my kids thought! A Fiesta, Micra or a Mini. No comparison. They are still on for the Test+ when they are home for long enough. will be in touch. Go for it mate and milk it for as long as you can.

mr.b
23rd March 2004, 06:43 PM
Dunc,

easy there tiger!....it was meant in the generic sense...train tracks/railway line....same difference UNLEEESSSSS, you a train spotter/anorak??? are you eh? are you?

Big Gordy
23rd March 2004, 08:37 PM
Careful there mr.b :eek: there's a few model train fanatics on here :p:D:approve:

Duncan Stewart
23rd March 2004, 09:26 PM
Duncan works for the railway as a Signal Technician but is not a railway enthusiast as far as I know. However I am so let's not drag the tone down making trainspotter jokes. I might get annoyed and throw my hornby train set out of the pram! ;)

duncan
24th March 2004, 04:26 AM
No Mr B, not a Railway Enthusiast, just as Duncan S explains, i work for am employed by the Railway.

Its just one of those annoying sayings thats crept into usage, like train station.:mad:;)

Bazthemod
24th March 2004, 04:49 AM
Hhhhhhhmmmmmmpppphhhhhhhhh !!! :mad:

Chooooooooo Choooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! :evil:

GAJ
24th March 2004, 11:22 PM
I just saw a yellow driving instructors MINI with Drivings Cool! graphics down the side!
get it? Driving school/Drivings Cool.
I thought it was quite good.

mr.b
25th March 2004, 12:16 AM
i take it it should be a RAILWAY STATION????

I have a friend who's nickname is 'the freight train'...what should that be - strictly speaking?

'Freight Locomotive' perhaps, or 'parallel track running cargo carrying locomotive'?

sorry, couldn't resist. i understand such botherings in relations to my job when people say "architect, how much would it cost to build a 5 storey office block made of 3day-old bran scones?"

duncan
25th March 2004, 04:17 AM
'parallel track running cargo carrying locomotive'?

Heh,I like that mr.b!
:)

Wul
25th March 2004, 04:47 AM

i take it it should be a RAILWAY STATION????

I have a friend who's nickname is 'the freight train'...what should that be - strictly speaking?

'Freight Locomotive' perhaps, or 'parallel track running cargo carrying locomotive'?

sorry, couldn't resist. i understand such botherings in relations to my job when people say "architect, how much would it cost to build a 5 storey office block made of 3day-old bran scones?"

Using the analytical powers of my quantity surveyor intelect (cough cough) I should say about £3.5million, oh and don't forget to specify what type of butter is to be used!:p;):D

Davidson2
2nd April 2004, 11:34 AM
Havn't been on line for a while due to New York stuff and Kidney Failure. Its pretty painful! :disapprove:

For the first time in ages I cried with laughter reading your Train / Locomotive stories that was just great! You Guys are right on track! ;)

Thats what I like about this site... 'If ya feel like a good Bitchin...' :D

OK! Again, thankyou all for your contributions!

Deposit paid and Mini ordered!

Mini One, Indi Blue, Aero Kit, Cooper S Spoiler, Pepper Pack, 8 Spoke Alloys, 'Leather Seats' and Air Conditioning. Got an excellent trade in on 'Mini Emma' (I wont say what it was so they can make a profit elsewhere) and lots of freebies thanks to my Pal at Dunedin and Mr McGregor (MD) Who also gave me £300 for the Round Britain Run Charities and £100 expences.

Dunedin Rocks Man!

Oh the leather seat thing... Keeping in line with The Italian Job... H.R 'Im thinkin, naked girls and leather seats. Not alot a girl wont do in the front seat of one of them things.'

Eh... NEVER with my pupils obviously! :blackeye:

Willie M
2nd April 2004, 04:26 PM
New MINI sounds cool DD :cool: What's the expected delivery date? More importantly, now that MINI Emma's going. What's the new MINI's name gonna be? :D:clown:

Davidson2
3rd April 2004, 07:34 AM
Delivery Due in Mayish & me son likes 'Charlie' as the new name :mad: Cant use that tho or PC Plod will keep stoppin me, sayin they have had reports of 'Charlie' in the Mini! :I

Get it? Get it? Dont worry if you dont, thats cool man!:cool:

AndyP & Lenore
3rd April 2004, 07:54 AM
quote:Originally posted by Davidson2

Delivery Due in Mayish & me son likes 'Charlie' as the new name :mad: Cant use that tho or PC Plod will keep stoppin me, sayin they have had reports of 'Charlie' in the Mini! :I

Get it? Get it? Dont worry if you dont, thats cool man!:cool:

:DCharlie in the car... I like it. Very good.

I used to teach in Edinburgh with BSM. Nightmare!

AndyP

VFR-Ray
4th April 2004, 04:04 AM
New car sounds cool, all the best with the Italian Job D.S.!

Davidson2
4th April 2004, 10:28 AM
I used to teach in Edinburgh with BSM. Nightmare!

AndyP
[/quote]

Oh Instructors coming out the wood work now? Excellent! Hope you are still teaching, we will need to catch up sometime... that is if your not with.. 'Dr1v1ngs C00l' 'sorry didn't mean to use such foul language on here... Sorry all ;)

Davidson2
4th April 2004, 10:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by VFR-Ray

New car sounds cool, all the best with the Italian Job D.S.!

Ray was it you I spoke to a few Months ago re the Mini One Diesel?

AndyP & Lenore
5th April 2004, 06:17 AM
[/quote]

Oh Instructors coming out the wood work now? Excellent! Hope you are still teaching, we will need to catch up sometime... that is if your not with.. 'Dr1v1ngs C00l' 'sorry didn't mean to use such foul language on here... Sorry all ;)
[/quote]

No longer in the Biz. Spent 6 weeks with BSM, then set up my own in the Borders. Did that for about a year. Had a good pass rate and I was getting a lot of pupils. But my Parents retired from the family cinema business and I decided to concentrate on that. I also found it one of the most lonely periods of my life. I much prefer having 700 people around me. One just wasn't enough.

All said and done, I enjoyed the teaching and I'd like to go back to teaching in one form or another at some time. I always fancied being an instructor trainer. Always felt I had more aptitude for that than teaching learners. But you can't get there without being a long term skilled instructor first. Chicken and egg.

Catching up sometime sounds cool though. We'll need to look out for each other on the next mini-run. I'll be driving a Mini Cooper. :D That should help you find me.:D

Ho, hum.... said Pooh in a humble voice.

AndyP

Tahra
5th April 2004, 04:27 PM
Andy - does that mean you have your own cinema ???!!!!

AndyP & Lenore
5th April 2004, 05:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tahra

Andy - does that mean you have your own cinema ???!!!!

Sort of. Family business with my wife, my brother and his wife. My mum and dad are still involved but for the most part leave us to get on with it. But they can still be relied on to help out at busy periods. HARRY POTTER!!!!!!! AAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

It's a four screen cinema in Galashiels. Busy enough to keep a roof over our heads and satisfy most of our MINI-related-needs. :D:cool::D

AndyP

sjfield1
6th April 2004, 03:46 AM
Hi, Davidson2 - just saw your message about thinking about starting the driving shool with the cooper s - i think its a good idea. I am starting up my own scool just now with a mini one - but i can tell you if i could afford a cooper s then i would definitely have gone for it.
And about the £25 i know people like that who would definitely pay that much just to lear in one! Its definitely a dead set!

There is a woman about who teaches learners in a CLK, but just because of that, she gets around 25-30 quid a lesson (and she hires it out for weddings! (another thought!!!)

Hope your venture works!

SJ

AndyP & Lenore
6th April 2004, 07:42 AM
quote:Originally posted by sjfield1

There is a woman about who teaches learners in a CLK.....

SJ

Teaching in a CLK? Is she mad? I just can't imagine teaching in a CLK.

Instructor: "I'd like you to turn the car in the road to face in the opposite direction, using the forward and revers gears".

Pupil: "In this thing? You gotta be sh*tt*ng me!!! Will a handbrake turn do?" :D

SJ, have you sat your "part three" yet? Email me if your first attempt went so bad you don't want to publicly disclose it here. :eek:

Mine was awful. I think I got a 3 and a 2. :I:I:I Two 4's on second attempt! I was well chuffed.;)

AndyP

sjfield1
6th April 2004, 07:24 PM
Yes!!! A CLK, i was a bit suprised when i heard of it too! But just think, she is a woman instructor teaching in a car that is probably a one off! She probably gets loads of posh peoples wifes who will NOT drive anything but a car like that!

Big Gordy
6th April 2004, 08:42 PM
She wouldn't happen to be in the Falkirk area would she as I remember a woman who ran a BMW M3 convertible as a driving school car :eek: I think she has an IB MCS now though :p:D:approve:

VFR-Ray
7th April 2004, 04:13 AM
D2
Yes it was me who contacted you about the Mini. As you can see I placed an order. In fact the car is sitting in Inverness waiting for me. Got a call from the dealer last Thursday (1st April), car arrived a week early! I just can't get away to collect the car for another 2 weeks - it's doing my head in knowing that the car is so close. This is the trouble with living on an island - can't even call along past the dealer just to drool over my car.

VFR-Ray
7th April 2004, 04:19 AM
I've been quoted £250 by the dealer to have the roof sprayed white on my "waiting to be collected" car. Is this good value:question: I suppose I could take delivery and get it done locally by one of 3 excellent body/spray shops.:)

Davidson2
13th April 2004, 07:52 AM
In the Name of Mini Coopers... Its an Instructor Revolution :D Excellent!

Im just gona try answer you all at the same time...

VFR-Ray, (Why VFR, you a Pilot?) Must be hard mate, pining over your baby across the pond, the wait is worth it though :D and your pupils will love it... just watch for the ammount of pupils in other instructors cars that look at you... then call you :D. Pretty sure your investment will pay off.

£250 sounds good for your roof painting, I was quoted £310 on Emma.

As most of you will know, if you are in the DIA or MSA, the Mini gets a very bad name for reliability, through my own experiences, Ive had one steering problem that was sorted out within 24hours. In general the Instructor Mini underworld play it low key with other Instructor Schools though, dont want too many Mini Driving Schools! :D

I do teach Instuctors as well 'Part I ORDIT approved' Part II ORDIT approval due June' 'Part III, work closely with my SE on that one...;)' (ORDIT is expensive and a joke!) havent had anyone fail all three attempts yet and good first time pass rate. So drop me a personal mail if you need any info.

I will also let you ADI's know if this idea works in due course, one of my Instructors has ordered an MG ZR, so we will see how that works out as well :eightball:

VFR-Ray
13th April 2004, 09:02 PM
VFR-Ray, (Why VFR, you a Pilot?)

I am also a biker - Honda VFR 750. Yes it's hard pining for my baby across the pond! But Delivery Day is getting closer all the time.:D

The 04 plate allocated to me by the dealer actually incorporates the wife's initials and D/Day is her birthday.:cool: Just as well it's a business car otherwise I would still be pining!