PDA

View Full Version : To Spotlight Or Not To?

Smitty
4th July 2008, 04:45 PM
So I bought some BMW Spots from a certain NMS member yesterday (Cheers :thumbs up:) but I am really undecided on them.

Here they are, just hooked under the bonnet for now:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/smitty_350z/P1020149.jpg

I "think" I like them and would have no problems fitting them for a bit to get used to them BUT I am pretty sure I am going to have to cut away at my aero kit grill to get the brackets through.

So 3 questions....

1. Has anyone fitted spots to an aero kit grill before and how did it go?

2. "IF" things went wrong or I changed my mind, roughly how much is a replacement grill?

3. What do you think....fit them or not?

Cheers!! :smilewinkgrin:

stoney
4th July 2008, 04:49 PM
i think you should fit them can not ans the rest tho

Craig
4th July 2008, 05:32 PM
don't fit them and then I can buy them off you... ;)

as for fitting, sorry can't help. :blush:

the grill is not big money, think about £50 but better check with JC's who would be able to give you discount also. :thumbs up:

mikeythemini
4th July 2008, 05:45 PM
I have a spare grille - brand new & cheap

t18tav
4th July 2008, 05:56 PM
i say fit them cos it looks well nice:thumbs up::thumbs up:

Gismo
4th July 2008, 06:19 PM
I think you should fit all 4 :thumbs up:
I also think a some bonnet graphics would look braw as well

Colin
4th July 2008, 08:42 PM
Fit all 4. :thumbs up: Don't know about the aero grill sorry.

I've just ordered 4 for mine, should be arriving soon :D. Must be the time of month for spots.

Aberdeen Al
4th July 2008, 09:11 PM
Use a Dremmel to cut the grille - it's far easier. There are indentations on the back of the grille as a guide for fitting spots ;)

AndyP & Lenore
4th July 2008, 11:57 PM
I'd fit them. And like Alan says stick some bonnet graphics on too. Black bonnet stripes lead away from spots just nicely.

A.:thumbs up:

ianking
5th July 2008, 08:56 AM
I would fit them but just 2 for me and no bonnet graphics. Looks great as is for me.

Gaz B
5th July 2008, 03:23 PM
:off topic:Mikeythemini you have a pm.

MrMischief
6th July 2008, 02:30 PM
Fit them - you know you want to, and they'll brighten up those dark nights :D

Looking at ours, the grille's been trimmed to get the brackets through. No other way to do it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/EssDee/MINI%20Cooper%20S/Front001.jpg

Steve

Duncan Stewart
6th July 2008, 06:49 PM
I say fit them, look good :D

Smitty
7th July 2008, 03:23 PM
Well i've made a decision - i'm not fiiting them but I'm not selling them on either. I'm going to wait for the winter when:

a) I will get more use out of them
b) I will have more money to replace the gril should I decide they are not for me/**** up the fitting.

Thank for the advice everyone (and Craig....you can keep your grubby mits off my spots for now :hand:)

Fit them - you know you want to, and they'll brighten up those dark nights :D

Looking at ours, the grille's been trimmed to get the brackets through. No other way to do it.

Steve

MrMschief - on your grill is there just a few honeycombs cut out to allow the brackets to slip through? Also, is that Gill's old Flying Scotsman MINI as it looks surpisngly like it?

AndyP & Lenore
7th July 2008, 03:38 PM
Smitty, there is always secret option number 2....

TonyJac has 4 spots and they are attached to a stainless steel bar which attaches to the bodywork of the car, rather than the underside of the bonnet.

CCM has also just made his own bar up for the same purpose.

You'd really need to have four spots for it to work, but at least you don't need to gash your grille.:thumbs up:

A.:D

Gismo
7th July 2008, 04:21 PM
TonyJac has 4 spots and they are attached to a stainless steel bar which attaches to the bodywork of the car, rather than the underside of the bonnetHe saw mine last week when he picked up the spots, so, that's still an option as i still have the other 2 spots left ;)
As much as i hate to mention their name, Minisport can supply the stainless bar, or, ask CCM to make you one ;)

MrMischief
7th July 2008, 10:32 PM
MrMschief - on your grill is there just a few honeycombs cut out to allow the brackets to slip through? Also, is that Gill's old Flying Scotsman MINI as it looks surpisngly like it?

Yes and yes :D

Crombers
7th July 2008, 10:56 PM
Surprisingly enough I'm gonna opt for the 'no spots' look (just like mine :D)

I have swithered over spots for 4 years now & that tells me I'm kinda in the 'no' camp

As for graphics, well again I'm no use to anyone as I'm still 'naked' (not pretty eh!). If I were to sway one way it would be for Vipers as I think they do look ace on an Aerokit (but then again why have I not done it).

Probably no help at all :Whistle: