PDA

View Full Version : R56 Aero Skirts

ianking
29th June 2008, 11:28 AM
OK here are some instructions on how to change the skirts on an R56. The process is almost identical for R50 and R53.

Step 1
Assemble the new skirt if this was not all ready done by supplying dealer.

Skirts as they arrived
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/ianking82/PICT1700.jpg

Step 2
Undo the plastic screws under the car existing skirt. (jacking the car makes access easier). Remove the metal screw at the rear end of the skirt, im pretty sure it was a T10 or T15 screw head.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/ianking82/PICT1701.jpg

Step 3
Pull back door seal
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/ianking82/PICT1702.jpg

Step 4
Dont be afraid here when it sounds like you are destroying the car. You have to be a bit rough. The clips that hold the skirt on are designed to break. Grab the rear end of the skirt and start pulling it away from the car.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/ianking82/PICT1703.jpg
You then need to lift the skirt up and away from the car. This will release the clips which are under the chrome finishing strip. Easier if 2 persons do this.

Step 5
Remove the broken clips from the cars body
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/ianking82/PICT1704.jpg

Step 6
put the new clips onto the new skirt paying attention as to which colour of clip goes where and which way round they are facing.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/ianking82/PICT1705.jpg

Step 7
offer the skirt up to the car and start pushing the skirt onto the car from the rear working towards the front.

Step 8
Put the new clips onto the top surface of the skirt
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/ianking82/PICT1706.jpg

Step 9
Put the screws back on underneath the car

Step 10
Put on finishing strip and re-sit door seal
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/ianking82/PICT1707.jpg

Before pic
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/ianking82/PICT1699.jpg

After pic
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/ianking82/PICT1712.jpg

Whole job takes about 1 hour.

N12 JLK
29th June 2008, 11:36 AM
doesnt the car look good, sitting high though after we jacked it up but it goes back down.

Sportspack Mark
29th June 2008, 11:49 AM
nice one lads :yes nod:

id love an r56 S right now :thumbs up:

N12 JLK
29th June 2008, 01:05 PM
go out and get one its only money:thumbs up:

The Dogfather
29th June 2008, 01:42 PM
I wonder how long it will be before they become available for the Clubman :think:

Damn it not the same smilies :moonie:

N12 JLK
29th June 2008, 08:22 PM
Hopefully not long before they become available, very easy to fit I wouldnt recommend paying BMW to do the job, Jason and Ian will do it for a small fee or a Glayvar:thumbs up:

jaffamaster
24th July 2008, 08:39 AM
Very nice indeed, might be my frist mod, where's the best place to buy them?

Gismo
24th July 2008, 08:48 AM
Very nice indeed, might be my frist mod, where's the best place to buy them?I would highly recommend our sponsor, John Clark :thumbs up:
Post a question in their forum for pricing and delivery :computer:

weefossy
26th July 2008, 11:14 PM
It makes such a difference to how the car looks. One day they will produce one for the Van.:argh:

GCA3N
8th January 2009, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the advice. Just put on a set on a 52 cooper. The advice helped however was a bit different. If any one needs advice on doing this job on an older cooper, give me a shout

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/IMG_8557.jpg

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo280/greigallan/IMG_8547.jpg

Goonerij
26th April 2010, 11:37 PM
OK here are some instructions on how to change the skirts on an R56 ......

Thanks for the link to here from totalMINI :smilewinkgrin:

It looks fairly straightforward enough .... we'll see when my parts arrive in a week or so :rolleyes:

Regards

-Ian-

norrie
12th May 2010, 06:57 PM
Just to let you know I followed this how to and it is a fairly easy job.
I think the hardest part is having the confidence to pull the old ones off when you here all of the plastic clips breaking.

Thanks for that Ian.

Norrie.

k3ith
14th May 2010, 05:06 PM
How much did they cost to buy?

N12 JLK
14th May 2010, 08:53 PM
Ahh our old car, remember the day me and Kingy did this for the 'how to' thread. away for a cry. brill car apart from the tractor engine, bloody early r56 S.

norrie
14th May 2010, 09:07 PM
I got mine off a mate but I believe there about £350.

Norrie.

norrie
14th May 2010, 09:15 PM
They do look good though.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l75/norried/New%20Mini/Mini047.jpg

Norrie.

N16SHP
15th May 2010, 03:57 PM
I think its in the region of around £300 primed, and about £500 painted from JC Parts, but give him an email, he'll be able to tell you exactly!

GCA3N
15th May 2010, 04:42 PM
This is defo my next purchase got the new wheels to pay for then it's saving for these, they look so :drool:

k3ith
15th May 2010, 07:23 PM
£500 for two side skirts:frown:

GCA3N
15th May 2010, 07:56 PM
£500 for two side skirts:frown:
You are right it's alot of dosh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goonerij
18th May 2010, 12:02 AM
Yeah, they're not cheap (not quite £500 though :smilewinkgrin:) .... but worth every penny in our opinion :cool:

.... Just need a couple more driving lights now :yes nod: .... MALCOLM!!! (need to see how yours are fitted :smilewinkgrin:)

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1737

Stewart
18th May 2010, 09:42 AM
I Like that....what ones coming to play at the weekend this?

I think if I had this I'd do the Light rings that greig done in black.

Disclaimer.
(Any views shared by the poster regarding mod’s is there own personal view and should be read as such, it should not be read as being detrimental in any way to the car or owner) :smilewinkgrin:

GCA3N
18th May 2010, 10:58 AM
Disclaimer.
(Any views shared by the poster regarding mod’s is there own personal view and should be read as such, it should not be read as being detrimental in any way to the car or owner) :smilewinkgrin:

:laugh:

Goonerij
18th May 2010, 01:37 PM
I Like that....what ones coming to play at the weekend this?

I think if I had this I'd do the Light rings that greig done in black.

Thanks Stewart .... it'll have to be the R56 :smilewinkgrin:

Not sure about the black light rings .... seen it done .... not for us though.

Sportspack Mark
8th October 2011, 10:50 PM
these are a wild price for the clubman!

SuperCooperS
8th October 2011, 10:59 PM
i couldnt bring myself to spend in the regions of 500 notes for a couple of skirts.. crazy price

The Dogfather
8th October 2011, 11:12 PM
Stealing a find from Alex on’t t’other side has anyone else seen this bodykit?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-MIni-Cooper-S-R56-Aero-Body-Kit-FRONT-REAR-BUMPER-SIDE-SKIRTS-w-LED-DRL-/120783421082?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c1f40be9a#ht_11290wt_1066

SuperCooperS
8th October 2011, 11:17 PM
I like the LED touch.. but the body kit is a bit OTT..looks too after market

Sportspack Mark
9th October 2011, 09:46 AM
im not that fond of it myself.

ELFMAN
11th October 2011, 09:49 AM
Not a fan of daytime running lights at all, and the bodykit is OK, but a bit OTT for me.

Really like Gooner's Sideskirts and black grille though - as seen on the Highland Run. I'm still swithering about fitting skirts and now colour-coding the arches might be on the cards, after which I'd stick on a set of Team Dynamics Pro Race 3's in black... stay tuned!

weefossy
12th October 2011, 12:23 AM
:yes nod: Get the skirts, you know you want them.........

ELFMAN
13th October 2011, 12:08 PM
:yes nod: Get the skirts, you know you want them.........

Are you implying that I'm a transvestite now? :hand: I'm not coming out of the garage.

ianking
13th October 2011, 12:34 PM
Are you implying that I'm a transvestite now? :hand: I'm not coming out of the garage.

I will even fit them up for you :smilewinkgrin:

ELFMAN
13th October 2011, 01:50 PM
Ever get the feeling you're being led astray...? :yes nod:

Ian, where do you reckon is the best place to acquire the skirts? (thinking of Dealer Prices :frown: but I'm going to check with my dealer anyway just to see what they'd quote to supply). Would it be better to have them 'Ready Painted' just to fit, or unpainted for your Paint Guy to sort out? I'm still unsure whether to go for Coded Arches, or just the skirts... might be best to try just the skirts first, as I can always colour-code at a later date. Could you get a rough idea of cost from the paint shop for Coding? Any advice appreciated as usual :thumbs up:

stoney
13th October 2011, 03:24 PM
just do it elf man and why not contact are sponsor and get a nice discount i would suggest PM or phoning them tho ;) if you phone mind and tell them that you are NMS to get your discount price

ELFMAN
13th October 2011, 04:29 PM
Good idea Rob :thumbs up:

I'm getting a quote tomorrow from Douglas Park MINI in Hamilton to supply a pair of (painted) Skirts - which oor Ian can help me fit! I get a discount from Park's as a 'good customer'!

Called sponsor Peter Vardy and was quoted 2 prices, £161 inc VAT per side for unpainted, and they also gave me another price of £218.00 per side which related to 'Car Colour' - which I presume is Painted. The lady said it wasn't too clear, but it would seem to make sense with the price difference.

Def going for the Skirts now, wherever I get them from! :yes nod:

Craig
13th October 2011, 05:32 PM
Good idea Rob :thumbs up:

I'm getting a quote tomorrow from Douglas Park MINI in Hamilton to supply a pair of (painted) Skirts - which oor Ian can help me fit! I get a discount from Park's as a 'good customer'!

Called sponsor Peter Vardy and was quoted 2 prices, £161 inc VAT per side for unpainted, and they also gave me another price of £218.00 per side which related to 'Car Colour' - which I presume is Painted. The lady said it wasn't too clear, but it would seem to make sense with the price difference.

Def going for the Skirts now, wherever I get them from! :yes nod:

That's a great price for painted :yes nod:

SuperCooperS
13th October 2011, 05:50 PM
thats a great price.. is the £218 including VAT for painted?

stoney
13th October 2011, 06:12 PM
good price i would speak to Ian tho about painting :)

Craig
13th October 2011, 06:12 PM
thats a great price.. is the £218 including VAT for painted?

Yep but that's per side ;). Last time I remember someone getting a price for r56 skirts they were closer to £600 :thud:

SuperCooperS
13th October 2011, 06:26 PM
ohh ok.. so those prices werent for an R56.. darn it!!.. my bubble has been burst

Craig
13th October 2011, 06:42 PM
ohh ok.. so those prices werent for an R56.. darn it!!.. my bubble has been burst

You being slow today ? :lol: These prices are for an R56 ;). I was saying they used to be nearly £600 :yes nod:

SuperCooperS
13th October 2011, 06:45 PM
ops haha.. watching trawlerman and reading posts at same time.. im smiling again.. good good

Sportspack Mark
13th October 2011, 07:20 PM
damn the clubbys extra length! bet they will be a lot more :lol:

Neil - TXJ
13th October 2011, 09:57 PM
I was quoted c£600 a few months ago by a dealer and this included discount as they were a totalMini sponsor.

ELFMAN
14th October 2011, 12:18 AM
I'm wondering now if they've quoted me the correct price, as I remember them being more expensive than £218 per side painted, but I'm not sure now... the only time I've enquired in the past it was inclusive of fitting, which Ian's going to sort for me. I'll see what 'my' dealer quotes later today... :idunno:

ianking
14th October 2011, 09:38 AM
Mr Elf

Just checked with the paintshop I use and they said £150 to paint.

ELFMAN
14th October 2011, 03:04 PM
CHEERS IAN! Thanks for the info and kind offer of assistance. :thumbs up:

Got quote from Parks:
£609 Painted.
£322 Unpainted.

I discovered there's unfortunately also a few other bits and pieces required, like the wee black 'grilles' for the sideskirt, various other fixings and Works sill plates, which brings the whole thing to around £415.00 incl VAT for the Unpainted Skirts. It all adds up - well it's the MINI Way...

Phoned back and clarified quote from VARDY:
Approx. £523 Unpainted (probably including the required fixings, but not entirely sure)

(All the above include VAT, but not FITTING, so if you needed to get that done too...)

The price from Parks inludes my 'Customer Loyalty Discount' of about £50.00 which you wouldn't get unless you've done business with them before. So buying from Parks and getting Ian's boys to paint them would be approx. £565.00 in total, plus a wee bribe for Mr. King!

SO I'VE GONE AND ORDERED THEM! :yes nod:

Hope the info's handy for anyone else who has more money than sense - which in my case is about £3.50.
ps While I was on a spending spree, I decided to get the Works Carbon Fibre Steering Wheel Inserts (not the whole wheel Ian!), to match my Works Knob. :blush:

Craig
14th October 2011, 04:15 PM
I'm confused Euan re what you were told yesterday I think they have quoted for R50/53 skirts yest which are much cheaper ;)

ELFMAN
14th October 2011, 04:34 PM
I've updated the post Craig - see above.

Gismo
14th October 2011, 04:42 PM
Nice one Euan, be good to see the finished look :thumbs up:

Craig
14th October 2011, 05:18 PM
I've updated the post Craig - see above.

Cheers Euan. :thumbs up:

I'm more worried about the price you were given by Vardy's and the big diff today ?!?!? Anyway great news you have them ordered ... They will look great :yes nod:

ELFMAN
14th October 2011, 05:26 PM
Cheers Euan. :thumbs up:
I'm more worried about the price you were given by Vardy's and the big diff today ?!?!? Anyway great news you have them ordered ... They will look great :yes nod:

It all got a bit confusing Craig, even after I'd double-checked... Yvonne at VARDY's was very helpful, but I'm still not sure we were singing off the same sheet.

I've gone with the price given by Parks, and put down a deposit (I nearly did that when I worked out the full price!). I actually phoned Parks back to check I had everything right (I have the 'final' figures) but when he gave me the 'breakdown' again, it seemed to come to a bit more - but as I said, I have the amount with discount, deposit etc which I still have to pay, so that's what I'll be paying!

ELFMAN
14th October 2011, 05:29 PM
Nice one Euan, be good to see the finished look :thumbs up:

Still swithering whether to go for an Alloy Change to complete the 'New Look'... As I've said elsewhere, fancy those Team Dynamics Pro Race 3's in Black for that meaner look...

MINI William
14th October 2011, 07:04 PM
CHEERS IAN! Thanks for the info and kind offer of assistance. :thumbs up:

Got quote from Parks:
£609 Painted.
£322 Unpainted.

I discovered there's unfortunately also a few other bits and pieces required, like the wee black 'grilles' for the sideskirt, various other fixings and Works sill plates, which brings the whole thing to around £415.00 incl VAT for the Unpainted Skirts. It all adds up - well it's the MINI Way...

Phoned back and clarified quote from VARDY:
Approx. £523 Unpainted (probably including the required fixings, but not entirely sure)

(All the above include VAT, but not FITTING, so if you needed to get that done too...)

The price from Parks inludes my 'Customer Loyalty Discount' of about £50.00 which you wouldn't get unless you've done business with them before. So buying from Parks and getting Ian's boys to paint them would be approx. £565.00 in total, plus a wee bribe for Mr. King!

SO I'VE GONE AND ORDERED THEM! :yes nod:

Hope the info's handy for anyone else who has more money than sense - which in my case is about £3.50.
ps While I was on a spending spree, I decided to get the Works Carbon Fibre Steering Wheel Inserts (not the whole wheel Ian!), to match my Works Knob. :blush:

Great news Euan. I think your car will look stunning with them

JOHN MILNE
17th October 2011, 06:53 AM
when i got my sills the parts i got were
2 x sill cover
2 x sill adaptor strips ( because the sills are lower than originals they fill space between floor and sill )
2 x corner filler for where fins fit
2 fin kits (3 black fins on the rear of sill
2 tread olates
and assorted clips

ELFMAN
17th October 2011, 09:54 AM
Cheers John. It's a MINI Airfix Kit Adventure!

ELFMAN
18th October 2011, 05:38 PM
:yes nod: All my bits are in! :thumbs up: - as the Bishop said to the Actress :blush:

Craig
18th October 2011, 06:04 PM
:yes nod: All my bits are in! :thumbs up: - as the Bishop said to the Actress :blush:

:lol:

ELFMAN
21st October 2011, 12:46 PM
Mr. King - Please check your PM's! :thumbs up:

ELFMAN
24th October 2011, 09:58 AM
Got message IAN! Sorry the mobile seems to have failed me...

ELFMAN
16th November 2011, 04:23 PM
Ongoing Landscaping Nonsense + the SKIP means I still can't get out the ******* driveway = no MINI fun for the ELFMAN :sad:
To cheer myself up I've ordered some lovely JCW Logo'd Door Entry Strips ;) for whenever we get around to fitting the 'skirts. Probably next Spring at this rate :argh:

ianking
16th November 2011, 07:44 PM
Tie the skip to the 106 and drag it out the way.

I will order you a new clutch now. :p

ELFMAN
17th November 2011, 01:41 PM
Tie the skip to the 106 and drag it out the way. I will order you a new clutch now. :p

Ian, the 106 with its mighty 60bhp 1.1 doesn't have the torque to pull a funny face :rolleyes:, far less a fully-laden skip! :frown: I reckon it would snap in the middle and I'd zoom off down the road clinging to the wheel like in that James Bond film in Paris. :motoring::laugh:Make good YouTube though....:yes nod:

stoney
17th November 2011, 02:10 PM
Do u need the mini ? To get them painted is it not just the code ?? If that's the case I can run u across if u want ?? I don't mind as need to speak with mr king and young will any way ;)

IF IN DOUBT FLAT OUT :)

ELFMAN
17th November 2011, 05:40 PM
Rob, many thanks for the kind offer :thumbs up:, but Ian says there are different shades of Pepper White and the Paint Guy needs to match the paint to the actual car - hence the need to take it over.

stoney
17th November 2011, 08:41 PM
Cool no prob

IF IN DOUBT FLAT OUT :)

N12 JLK
23rd July 2015, 05:59 PM
My old cooper S. Myself and Ian King did this post all those years ago. Nice car it was