PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon

AndyP & Lenore
23rd June 2008, 08:28 PM
Who's do you fancy for it this year then?

Murray? Would be nice, and I guess he has the same chance as the other 100 odd blokes, but he's had a pretty rough year for injuries. At least he's playing this year though.

Just watched the first seeded player to go. Nalbandian (7) was just taken out in straight sets by unseeded Dancevic.

A.:D

Laineee
23rd June 2008, 08:42 PM
This is the first year in a long time I've actually thought for more than a millisecond about the answer to that question!! I think there's a good chance that we may get a Djokovic / Nadal final, in which case my money would be on Nadal. Having said that, I still wouldn't be willing to bet against Federer! :D

As for Murray, quarterfinals at best......:smilewinkgrin:

Laineee

The Dogfather
23rd June 2008, 08:42 PM
I quite fancy Sharapova for it this year :D

Laineee
23rd June 2008, 08:45 PM
I quite fancy Sharapova for it this year :D

Well, if we're talking who we fancy for it, I'd have to say Safin..... although it's slim pickin's on the mens side! :yes nod: :smilewinkgrin:

Laineee

Gismo
24th June 2008, 02:37 AM
Nadal has great chance, but, on grass, hmm, maybe not, federer will want to win too much, so, Federer for me.
Oh, i'll take Sharapova if she's available :blush:

euan
24th June 2008, 03:57 PM
Ana Ivanovic is the one to watch :-)

It'll be one of Nadal, Federer and Djokovic. I saw Djokovic play last year on the second Friday and he was awesome, and I reckon he's got as good a chance as any. Still wouldn't put money on anyone other than Federer.

Murray - quarters will be good enough for him, anything else is a bonus this year.

Fairy
24th June 2008, 04:03 PM
Lleyton Hewitt all the way!!! He is YUM-ME :thumbs up: (not too bad at tennis either! :D)

mini saltire
25th June 2008, 05:12 PM
I don't think I could cope with pressure of bedding Sharapova....what if she was really quiet..... could you imagine the self doubt you would have:laugh::laugh:

I have watched a bit. I really wish Becker was playing.....cos I can't stand him as commentator.:argh:

Laineee
25th June 2008, 08:12 PM
Kinda glad I didn't put that bet on Djokovic now.... Maybe I subconsciously was onto something when I said I fancied Safin!

:D

AndyP & Lenore
25th June 2008, 11:30 PM
I don't think I could cope with pressure of bedding Sharapova....what if she was really quiet..... could you imagine the self doubt you would have:laugh::laugh:

Lenore and I read that together. I was on the floor choking with laughter.

Lenore just looked at me, shook her head, and muttered something like... "men:eyes up:"

Good one Mark. But, say the opportunity arose (oooh er) to find out just how quiet she was, a herd of wildebeest couldn't pull me off. Although Lenore stood beside me probably would. More's the pity.:frown::laugh:

AndyP & Lenore
25th June 2008, 11:40 PM
Was watching Andy's game against Santoro yesterday.:ragin:

Andy was holding his own, keeping Santoro down, don't think he even dropped a serve. Then in the tirebreak for the 3rd set (Andy by this time already has two sets in the net), Santoro pulls even with Andy on points. The McEnroe (commentating) says "the crowd are really getting into this game now". The other commentator (don't know his name) says "That's because their boy is in trouble". WTF?!? What sort of trouble, exactly, did they think he was in. With two sets in the net and an even score on the tie break at something like 3-3, that's hardly a "trouble" area.

Was delighted to see Andy finish Santoro off with just another few points.;bigwave:

<<<<<De-mounts soap box.:shut up:

Scottie
25th June 2008, 11:59 PM
Was watching Andy's game against Santoro yesterday.:ragin:

Andy was holding his own, keeping Santoro down, don't think he even dropped a serve. Then in the tirebreak for the 3rd set (Andy by this time already has two sets in the net), Santoro pulls even with Andy on points. The McEnroe (commentating) says "the crowd are really getting into this game now". The other commentator (don't know his name) says "That's because their boy is in trouble". WTF?!? What sort of trouble, exactly, did they think he was in. With two sets in the net and an even score on the tie break at something like 3-3, that's hardly a "trouble" area.

Was delighted to see Andy finish Santoro off with just another few points.;bigwave:

<<<<<De-mounts soap box.:shut up:

:frown:

Commentators were

1. Andrew Castle
2. McEnroe
3. Henman.

AndyP & Lenore
26th June 2008, 12:01 AM
:frown:

Commentators were

1. Andrew Castle
2. McEnroe
3. Henman.

Was Castle. Henman hardly uttered a word the whole match. I guess commentating is new for him.

To be fair, Castle is usually not a bad commentator, it's just sometimes he talks, then engages brain afterwards.:eyes up:

Scottie
26th June 2008, 12:04 AM
Murray is not consistent enough yet to go far in this competition.

He needs to be thinking more on his shots.

AndyP & Lenore
30th June 2008, 09:43 PM
Well. Who watched the Murray match tonight then?

What an absolutely fantastic match. To come from two sets down and, let's be honest - not playing well at all, then to get hold of his game in the way he did, slowed his first serve down and get his game in order, to then win the next three sets and take the match. Well done Andy!:thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

Next up, some bloke called Rafael Nadal. Never heard of him. Is he any good.:Whistle:

N12 JLK
30th June 2008, 09:52 PM
best game ever tonight, I came home from work at 6 and wasnt interested, by the end of the game I was jumping up and down :thumbs up:

MrMischief
30th June 2008, 09:55 PM
Well. Who watched the Murray match tonight then?

What an absolutely fantastic match. To come from two sets down and, let's be honest - not playing well at all, then to get hold of his game in the way he did, slowed his first serve down and get his game in order, to then win the next three sets and take the match. Well done Andy!:thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

Next up, some bloke called Rafael Nadal. Never heard of him. Is he any good.:Whistle:

Just watched it....wow, what a come-back :thumbs up: Thought it was all over in the 3rd set then the crowd really got behind him. Think there were only 3 Frenchmen at centre court :D

Best match I've seen in a long time. Rafa who??? Straight sets....;bigwave:

Steve

Laineee
30th June 2008, 09:57 PM
After a set and a half I couldn't be bothered, so turned over to watch Safin - once the Safinator was safely through I switched back to Murray and couldn't believe what I was seeing. The kid's got some moves, and some serious guts to come back like that. Very very impressed.

AndyP & Lenore
30th June 2008, 09:58 PM
Just watched it....wow, what a come-back :thumbs up: Thought it was all over in the 3rd set then the crowd really got behind him. Think there were only 3 Frenchmen at centre court :D

Best match I've seen in a long time. Rafa who??? Straight sets....;bigwave:

Steve

I laughed at that, but then, after tonight.... who knows.:confused:;):D:smilewinkgrin:

Laineee
30th June 2008, 10:01 PM
I laughed at that, but then, after tonight.... who knows.:confused:;):D:smilewinkgrin:

I never thought I'd say this, but I honestly think he has a chance. At the very least I would expect him to push Rafa to 5 sets.

Scottie
30th June 2008, 10:07 PM
being local boy you want to see him win.

However I can't help but feel he still has not got the strength to up against the Nadal and Fedder but will be keeping my fingers crossed.

Hopefully along the road he may also turn in to a nice lad but doubt it.

Colin
30th June 2008, 10:21 PM
Cracking game tonight, was on the edge of my seat :D

Gismo
30th June 2008, 10:57 PM
Yep, fantastic come back, me and Julie were shouting all the way :D

Crombers
1st July 2008, 08:54 AM
Absolute stonker of a comback :yes nod: