View Full Version : help i need a new TV

stoney
21st June 2008, 10:03 PM
ok i need to bye a new tv as mine has gone up the stuff :ragin::ragin::ragin:

i have been looking around at the flat screen ones but i have a few Q's :nag:

ok here we go :thumbs up:

what is the diffrence between LCD and HD LCD AND PLASMA

also am i better geting 1080i or 1080p

what is the best one out of them to get i have seen a philps 42" plasma i like at a decent price :D

thanx stoney :thumbs up::computer:

Craig
21st June 2008, 11:56 PM
rob, speak to me and Mr P tomorrow an we will give you some good advice. :smilewinkgrin:

AndyP & Lenore
21st June 2008, 11:57 PM
Ohhhh.... cool.... Another one of these ones......

Q & A time:

The difference between LCD and Plasma.

LCD's are based on donkey's old Liquid Crystal Display technology. From memory; there are liquid crystals trapped between a mesh of plastic and metal wires and the metal wires carry information to each "cell" and either activate it or not. If it is activated it glows the appropriate colour (red, green or blue). LCD's used to suffer from poor viewing angle properties, but this has been improved in remarkably of late. Although it's worth noting my 26" LCD in my kitchen is pants if you view it from below the perpendicular plane to the front of the TV. The image just goes dark and unwatchable. As the TV is mounted on the wall above where we sit at the dining room table, it is a poor quality picture. But this only seems to be a problem with that 26" Sony. haven't seen it on any other size or screen.

Plasma TV's work on a similar principle to LCD's, but what you have is two glass panels with plasma gas trapped in between. Each panel contains millions of red, greeen and blue cells and each cell glows when it is charged, making up the picture.

Plasma panels are generally much heavier than LCD's, but - this is purely in MY humble opinion - Plasma's give a much better image. I know others will be along to disagree with this, and it is fair to say the quality gap between LCD's and Plasma's has reduced considerably of late. But when you are looking at 40" and above, I still feel Plasma's have the edge.

I would definitely go for a 1080P capable panel. Your PS3 will look the muts nuts on that, as would Sky HD. 1080i will look very good compared to a standard CRT tube telly, but 1080p is the benchmark for the moment.

Rob, really what you need to do is get out to the shops and find a set that YOU like the look of. It doesn't help that the majority of shops (currys, comet etc.) don't take the time to set the TV's up properly. I know there's one member on here who works in one of those stores so I wouldn't want to label them all as useless, but I'm sure even he will admit many stores don't take the time to prove the presentation capabilities of the sets on offer.

So when looking around, you need to take into account that the set may not have been set up the way you would want it. Ask for the remote, and have a play with the display settings. I bet you can improve the quality.

I've rambled enough. If you need any more help, give me a shout.

A.;)

AndyP & Lenore
21st June 2008, 11:57 PM
rob, speal to me and Mr P tomorrow an we will give you some good advice. :smilewinkgrin:

FFS. Why didn't I think to just post that.:frown::thud:

Craig
22nd June 2008, 12:05 AM
FFS. Why didn't I think to just post that.:frown::thud:

cos your a dobber.... :thud::moonie:;)

Bazthemod
22nd June 2008, 12:15 AM
Rob, really what you need to do is get out to the shops and find a set that YOU like the look of. It doesn't help that the majority of shops (currys, comet etc.) don't take the time to set the TV's up properly. I know there's one member on here who works in one of those stores so I wouldn't want to label them all as useless, but I'm sure even he will admit many stores don't take the time to prove the presentation capabilities of the sets on offer.

A.;)
Who could that be? :rolleyes::p

Granted and fair point the demo channel that runs throught the tvs is absolute p!sh makes the sales guys jobs very hard. You will find TVs on the wall are hooked up to component and have better quaility.

Our philips wall has been hooked up to HD and the quality is amazing

I echo the above about plasma/LCD debate.... i say above 42 go to plasma and get the highest contrast rate you can afford for any kind of tv. The new philips range is tasty so is the 6/7 series samsungs and LG have a whole variety of models out just now from tvs with holes to flat panels with no edges.

Go have a look around.... and dont always belive a sales person... they might not be on commission but certain lines still have to be sold! ;)

Apparantly through the planned rebranding you wont recognise certain electrical retailers stores.... going very up market and taking leaf out apple stores book! About time customers got decent service and nice looking shops to be honest!

Scottie
22nd June 2008, 12:33 AM
Hey Stoney,

while other members go all technical on you about which tv to get a couple of things to keep in mind.

If your wall mounting your TV a PLasma is a lot heavier than the LCD depending how good you walls are this could be a problem.

Also not forgetting you carbon foot print a LCD TV uses a lot less leccy.:blush:

Sharp, Sony, Toshiba have dumped making Plasma TV,

Gismo
22nd June 2008, 02:33 AM
Right, flexes fingers and :computer: oh, Andy's said it all :rolleyes:
Anyways, Rob, like you, i'm away to buy a new telly in the 50 inch size, which, may result in me having a 40" Sony Bravia available (LCD), not sure if you want new etc and i was thinking about putting this in my bedroom, but, let me know if it's something you are interested in.
This is what i currently use for the PS3 COD4 matches and the picture is stunning :thumbs up:

Since i won't be at the run :hand:..........viewing angle has increased significantly recently, especially in the LCD range at the bigger sizes, you can now get amazing viewing angles, but, you should really do as everyone so far has said and get into a shop to see it.

At the moment, for me anyway, there are only 2 real contenders if you go to the 50 inch ;) Pioneer and Samsung, fo me, i can't tell the difference between them and it would be a snobby thing for me to pick the Pioneer over the equally as good Samsung :blush: plus, it's a wee bit more expensive.

1080i or 1080p, well, any set will be capable of showing the 1080p, but, the cost for the DVD players is wayyyyy tooooo much and in fact, the human eye would probably struggle to view the difference anyway, even SKY HD does not show 1080p yet.
1080p is a myth at the moment and until costs come down not many folks will have it in their house.

When you consider that the PS3 games mostly play in 720p including the COD4 and that is stunning when played through an HDMI cable :yes nod:

Whatever you choose, make sure the tv has more than one HDMI input.
Also to consider, do you need speakers in the tv, if you want the best out of the telly you'll want to hook it up to an amp and external speakers (surround sound) but this can all be added at a later date

Anyway, i did ramble on, great topic :D and if you are interested in tmy Sony telly i can get the actual model number for you and we can get something sorted out including delivery etc

Apart from that, have fun looking around, cause often the style makes a difference to some folks :eek:

stoney
22nd June 2008, 06:49 AM
Right, flexes fingers and :computer: oh, Andy's said it all :rolleyes:
Anyways, Rob, like you, i'm away to buy a new telly in the 50 inch size, which, may result in me having a 40" Sony Bravia available (LCD), not sure if you want new etc and i was thinking about putting this in my bedroom, but, let me know if it's something you are interested in.
This is what i currently use for the PS3 COD4 matches and the picture is stunning :thumbs up:

Since i won't be at the run :hand:..........viewing angle has increased significantly recently, especially in the LCD range at the bigger sizes, you can now get amazing viewing angles, but, you should really do as everyone so far has said and get into a shop to see it.

At the moment, for me anyway, there are only 2 real contenders if you go to the 50 inch ;) Pioneer and Samsung, fo me, i can't tell the difference between them and it would be a snobby thing for me to pick the Pioneer over the equally as good Samsung :blush: plus, it's a wee bit more expensive.

1080i or 1080p, well, any set will be capable of showing the 1080i, but, the cost for the DVD players is wayyyyy tooooo much and in fact, the human eye would probably struggle to view the difference anyway, even SKY HD does not show 1080i yet.
1080i is a myth at the moment and until costs come down not many folks will have it in their house.

When you consider that the PS3 games mostly play in 720p including the COD4 and that is stunning when played through an HDMI cable :yes nod:

Whatever you choose, make sure the tv has more than one HDMI input.
Also to consider, do you need speakers in the tv, if you want the best out of the telly you'll want to hook it up to an amp and external speakers (surround sound) but this can all be added at a later date

Anyway, i did ramble on, great topic :D and if you are interested in tmy Sony telly i can get the actual model number for you and we can get something sorted out including delivery etc

Apart from that, have fun looking around, cause often the style makes a difference to some folks :eek:

i may be intrested but i think i am going to go for a plasma as i think if i get a lcd then my dad gose and gets a plasma i will be :ragin: thats what me and my dad are like :blush: but give me some info on it any way please :thumbs up: thats if you want to sell it also what kind of price will you be looking for it as if it right then who knows ;)

stoney
22nd June 2008, 07:01 AM
ok a few i have found in my price range

http://www.electrical-deals.co.uk/ServiceCareSite/product/LG42/42PC1DV.htm

http://www.electrical-deals.co.uk/ServiceCareSite/product/Philips42/42PFP5532D.htm

http://www.electrical-deals.co.uk/ServiceCareSite/product/Philips42/42PFP5532D.htm

http://www.electrical-deals.co.uk/ServiceCareSite/product/Panasonic42/TH42PX70B.htm

http://www.electrical-deals.co.uk/ServiceCareSite/product/Panasonic42/TH42PX70B.htm like this one :D

so what do you peps think to those what is the best one ????

sorry if being a pain just realy dont want to bye the wrong thing thats all :D

stoney
22nd June 2008, 07:02 AM
Hey Stoney,

while other members go all technical on you about which tv to get a couple of things to keep in mind.

If your wall mounting your TV a PLasma is a lot heavier than the LCD depending how good you walls are this could be a problem.

Also not forgetting you carbon foot print a LCD TV uses a lot less leccy.:blush:

Sharp, Sony, Toshiba have dumped making Plasma TV,

:off topic:carbon foot print :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh::laugh::laugh::moonie::thud::thud: come on i run a de cat pipe :off topic:

AndyP & Lenore
22nd June 2008, 07:28 AM
Also, Alan, if you're playing your COD4 through a HDMI cable, to a 1080P capable telly, you're viewing it in 1080P. Had a quick look at the COD4 box. Outputs in 720P, 1080i or 1080P. So it will best match your telly max res.

A.:D

AndyP & Lenore
22nd June 2008, 07:35 AM
ok a few i have found in my price range

http://www.electrical-deals.co.uk/ServiceCareSite/product/LG42/42PC1DV.htm
http://www.electrical-deals.co.uk/ServiceCareSite/product/Panasonic42/TH42PX70B.htm
http://www.electrical-deals.co.uk/ServiceCareSite/product/Panasonic42/TH42PX70B.htm like this one :D

so what do you peps think to those what is the best one ????

sorry if being a pain just realy dont want to bye the wrong thing thats all :D

Rob, I'd need to check the stats on most of them, but I don't think any of them are 1080P.

I know Alan is saying 1080P is a myth at the moment, but in my opinion that's just not the case. Blu Ray players (High definition disc players capable of playing 1080P) are coming down in price and like DVD players did eventually, you'll be able to pick one up for £50 in any Currys, Comet. PS3's DO output in 1080P and most games are 1080P capable. HDMI was designed to carry 1080P signals and at the moment is the ONLY cable capable of that. Component video cables can only manage a max of 1080i.

So, to future proof yourself (If you don't have Bonnie Scotlands cash) you're gonna want this telly to sit in your living room for 5 / 6 years, maybe more. I'd seriously consider stretching your budget just a tiny wee bit further and get a 1080P capable telly.

Will chat more later about this.

Gismo
22nd June 2008, 07:47 AM
Also, Alan, if you're playing your COD4 through a HDMI cable, to a 1080P capable telly, you're viewing it in 1080P. Had a quick look at the COD4 box. Outputs in 720P, 1080i or 1080P. So it will best match your telly max res.

A.:DReally, i need to check that on the boxes :thumbs up:

Gismo
22nd June 2008, 07:55 AM
Rob, I'd need to check the stats on most of them, but I don't think any of them are 1080P.

I know Alan is saying 1080P is a myth at the moment, but in my opinion that's just not the case. Blu Ray players (High definition disc players capable of playing 1080P) are coming down in price and like DVD players did eventually, you'll be able to pick one up for £50 in any Currys, Comet. PS3's DO output in 1080P and most games are 1080P capable. HDMI was designed to carry 1080P signals and at the moment is the ONLY cable capable of that. Component video cables can only manage a max of 1080i.

So, to future proof yourself (If you don't have Bonnie Scotlands cash) you're gonna want this telly to sit in your living room for 5 / 6 years, maybe more. I'd seriously consider stretching your budget just a tiny wee bit further and get a 1080P capable telly.

Will chat more later about this.

A.:DI'm gonna investigate the 1080p dvd player prices, not sure you can get for 50 quid yet with true 1080p, not upscaled or even in the very near future, you're still looking at serious prices.

Sadly Rob, i also agree, you're gonna have to open your budget a wee bit to get the best option YOU are looking for.

The screens you've linked to, as far as i can tell, do not not support 1080p, as Andy mentioned, also, the one you liked does not have a stand, so that or a wall bracket will be extra anyway.

All of your selections have quite poor contrast ratio's, with the one you liked having 7,000:1 and the best one at 15,000:1.

AndyP & Lenore
22nd June 2008, 08:19 AM
I'm gonna investigate the 1080p dvd player prices, not sure you can get for 50 quid yet with true 1080p, not upscaled or even in the very near future, you're still looking at serious prices.

Sadly Rob, i also agree, you're gonna have to open your budget a wee bit to get the best option YOU are looking for.

The screens you've linked to, as far as i can tell, do not not support 1080p, as Andy mentioned, also, the one you liked does not have a stand, so that or a wall bracket will be extra anyway.

All of your selections have quite poor contrast ratio's, with the one you liked having 7,000:1 and the best one at 15,000:1.

Alan, I'm not saying you can pick up a Blu Ray player for £50 now. I'm just saying that it's not far away. This time last year they were a grand a piece. Now they are around £200. You do the math.:thumbs up: They will drop to a sensible price within the lifespan of Stoney's new television, is what I'm saying.:D

Agree with everything else you've said though.:thumbs up:

stoney
22nd June 2008, 08:51 AM
ok i will have a chat with craig and andy after :thumbs up: and if you bored bonnie then you can have a wee look around and tell me what i should be looking at ;bigwave: :laugh:

i realy need to get a ne tv now as well as i have just been playing COD4 and it keeps cuting out on the elly i am using (the one from my bedroom) :ragin::ragin: still manged to ge 25 kills :thumbs up:

ianking
22nd June 2008, 09:41 AM
Rob
I bought the other week a new series 6 samsung 40 inch 1080p HD 100hz. The series 6 has the kind of red tint to the surround. I got my sky HD fitted as well and the picture is great.

I done a fair bit of reading on the which reports first and it got a good write up. Also spoke to Mr P as he knows alot about the subject.

Anyway I went into Comet with the model number in hand and asked if they had it etc. They did and it was £1100, I also wanted the 5 year warranty which was another £200 so £1300 total. The woman was useless and also rude to me so I walked out. Went into Costco to get some polishing cloths and noticed the same TV with a FREE 5 year warranty for £820 and the chap at costco was genuinely interested in the products and had great product knowledge.

Gismo
22nd June 2008, 09:57 AM
Rob
I bought the other week a new series 6 samsung 40 inch 1080p HD 100hz. The series 6 has the kind of red tint to the surround. I got my sky HD fitted as well and the picture is greatNice one Ian and exactly what i was saying, this is their LCD range and even though Rob says he wants a plasma, he really should give this a look, compared to the Pioneer plasma there is hardly any noticeable difference, except the price ;)

The Sky HD will get better, tune into the BBC HD channel for a truer HD picture than Sky can deliver.
Sky has so many channels that they struggle for bandwidth and ultimately their HD pictures suffer a wee bit :computer:

Edit: Rob, compare the contrast ratios, the ones you listed went up to 15,000:1, the LCD that Ian bought, 50,000:1

Bazthemod
22nd June 2008, 11:02 AM
You will find Plasma screen are going to phase out within next few years and the new kid on the block OLED screens is going to burst onto the market within that timescale. From what i have seen of OLED screens they look fantastic... unlike LCD it doesnt require a backlight so it can get blacks very dark even better than plasma.

From a store level we dont sell alot of plasma tvs ... many people still scared of screen burn etc which granted is very rare. Another reason they are not as popular is transporting them home; you cant tilt a Plasma more than 12 degrees of upright, another thing to bear in mind when setting up :thumbs up:

We have a 40" samsung the model below Ian's (5th series) at £599 this weekend - amazing price for 1080p 30,000:1 contrast rate

If i was buying right now i would be deciding between Philips and Samsung... lets face it the big brands buy their screens from samsung and sharp... that speaks volumes.

As for sony the new range looks better but still very dated looking ... they have tried to do the samsung thing with led sony logos... shame they are 3 years behind with actual casing design.

Big Gordy
22nd June 2008, 12:19 PM
I'm getting my new 32" LCD Samsung LE32A556 delivered today:smilewinkgrin: Its 1930 x 1080 resolution, 15000:1 contrast ratio and 3 HDMI outlets sold me on it:thumbs up: Plus I think it looks good. By tonight I should have it hooked up to my DVD player and also running through my NAD amp and Wharfdale speakers:popcorn: I'll let you know how it sounds:shut up::cool: Couldn't believe how much the good HDMI cable was tho:eek::Whistle:

Gismo
22nd June 2008, 12:55 PM
Couldn't believe how much the good HDMI cable was tho:eek::Whistle:And shouldn't be something you scrimp on either, typically the one that comes with the Sky HD System is worthy of throwing in the bin, if it's cheap then there is a reason ;)

stoney
22nd June 2008, 06:39 PM
so is 30,000:1 a good rez to have ???

Big Gordy
22nd June 2008, 07:20 PM
And shouldn't be something you scrimp on either, typically the one that comes with the Sky HD System is worthy of throwing in the bin, if it's cheap then there is a reason ;)

I know.....44 quid for a 1m cable and that was it in the sale:eek:

Big Gordy
22nd June 2008, 07:21 PM
so is 30,000:1 a good rez to have ???

Yes:thumbs up: with that res your blacks will be blacker and your whites will be whiter;bigwave:

stoney
22nd June 2008, 07:33 PM
Yes:thumbs up: with that res your blacks will be blacker and your whites will be whiter;bigwave:

nice one think i am going to go and get the one baz was on about :thumbs up:

N12 JLK
22nd June 2008, 10:20 PM
Don't know much, but what I will say is do what Andy tells you. He and Craig gave us lots of good advice when buying our TV. We bought a 42" Hitachi plasma and love it. Around the same time my sister bought a 46" samsung LCD and the picture is nowhere near as good as ours. But technology in these things move so fast I can't keep up:argh:
Love the HD, it is crystal clear, will never tire of switching from normal TV to HD to check out the difference. Looking forward to Wimbeldon - Come on the Murray. :D Also when is Top Gear coming on HD.

AndyP & Lenore
23rd June 2008, 12:07 AM
Rob, the 40" Samsung looks to be a great buy at an incredible price.:thumbs up:

Personally, if I was going to 40", I would probably push myself a bit further and go for a 42" plasma, but it really is down to personal taste and preference.

To be honest, Baz's comments regarding screen burn are valid. I get temporary screen burn on my plasma when I'm playing COD4, but I just "wash" the screen for 20 minutes after playing and it gets rid of it. For a while I did have trouble getting rid of the words "Killed by: GODWEIR". But that seems to have shifted also.:frown::laugh:

I don't want to suggest you don't know what your looking at, but I would say that (and I'm assuming here that you were using an old CRT TV), whatever you replace it with is going to look startling. And if you connect your PS3 to the new telly with a HDMI cable it's going to blow your socks off. Regular Sky + (no HD) will look very good, Sky HD (channels that are in HD) will look amazing.

I use this scart to component converter (http://www.js-technology.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=36&osCsid=6dba73f9c0503a924063dc15a423240e)to upscale my Sky + scart tv signal to my plasma. No way I was just gonna hook it up with scart.

If you only have Sky + (not Sky HD), I'd still recommend thinking about one of these boxes. There's no question you will get an improved picture by upscaling using one of these type of boxes. But they do add £115 (+ a decent Component cable - £30 ish) to the cost.:blush:

stoney
25th June 2008, 08:46 AM
ok i went to comet and had a look at the 40" lcd 1080p that baz said about and what a tv it has gaming mode as well so it will be with me a week 2 day yeppie :thumbs up: thanx for all tha advice guys it helped a lot i would not have got A 1080p if it was not for you guys :thumbs up:

the guy in comet also told me that plasma will be fading out and it will be lcd that going to take over the market :idea:

AndyP & Lenore
25th June 2008, 09:17 AM
ok i went to comet and had a look at the 40" lcd 1080p that baz said about and what a tv it has gaming mode as well so it will be with me a week 2 day yeppie :thumbs up: thanx for all tha advice guys it helped a lot i would not have got A 1080p if it was not for you guys :thumbs up:

the guy in comet also told me that plasma will be fading out and it will be lcd that going to take over the market :idea:

Really glad you got yourself sorted. TV sounds a cracking set.:cool:

I agree Plasma's have had their day, but not sure it is LCD that is gonna replace them. More like what BAZ said - OLED.:thumbs up:

Of course, this new TV just means you will be able to see yourself get blasted to bits in even more clarity in the respawn countdown on COD4.:laugh::laugh:

Gismo
25th June 2008, 09:31 AM
Of course, this new TV just means you will be able to see yourself get blasted to bits in even more clarity in the respawn countdown on COD4.:laugh::laugh:

A.:DJust remember to leave the self death cam on to see yourself getting splatted :moonie:

Burple
25th June 2008, 10:37 AM
I know.....44 quid for a 1m cable and that was it in the sale:eek:

:thud: didn't you watch the Gadget show the other week? THey did a trial of two HDMI cables, one cheap(ish) one and one really expensive Monster one. They did a few tests, and basically found out that if you spend that much on an HDMI cable you're a mug ;) There was no discernable difference in the quality of picture shown...

MartinSullivan
25th June 2008, 11:14 AM
:thud: didn't you watch the Gadget show the other week? THey did a trial of two HDMI cables, one cheap(ish) one and one really expensive Monster one. They did a few tests, and basically found out that if you spend that much on an HDMI cable you're a mug ;) There was no discernable difference in the quality of picture shown...

I was going to mention that too - but I just knew it would open a whole other

http://skugg.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/can-of-worms.jpg

GAJ
25th June 2008, 11:38 AM
Me too. Obvious really - it's a digital signal, so it's either decodable or it's not. Whether you've got a fat cable with solid gold connectors or a cheapy plastic thing with tin plate, if the signal is being received, then it's being received. End of! Different story, to an extent, with an analogue signal though. The expensive cables look posh though!

Big Gordy
25th June 2008, 01:33 PM
Well in my defence......Ross ran his LCD with the standard cable it came with and wasn't too impressed with it so then went out and bought the expensive one (same one I bought) and the picture difference was remarkable :eek: Instantly crisper:moonie: So ya boo sucks to the gadget show:nag: Having said that he is running his through a PS3 blueray thingy so maybe thats where the difference comes in:thumbs up:

Bazthemod
25th June 2008, 06:00 PM
Re cables we have a wall of tvs playing an HD Demo showing the huge difference between standard cables and premium cables.

You won't believe it till you see it as i didn't! You will find things like on screen graphics and logos, writing, car number plates and colors are more vivid and sharper.

Its all to do with shielding of digital interference ... you also get surge protectors that do this for you to improve the picture.

Its not compulsory but if you have the cash to spend on a great tv dont scrimp and save on the cables :thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
25th June 2008, 11:23 PM
Have to say, I'm with Baz on this one. No way I'd waste £100 on a daft Monster cable, but there's no doubt I've seen for myself a better picture between a "supplied" cheapy cable and a decent Ixos for £20.

A.;)

GAJ
26th June 2008, 09:02 AM
In simple terms 11001001110001001100010010001 is 11001001110001001100010010001 whatever cable it's transmitted by. That's the beauty of a digital signal. If the signal wasn't getting through cleanly there would be obvious digital artefacts like pixellation. It wouldn't make a difference to the contrast/sharpness/colour etc., like it can with an analogue signal. Lots of people do seem convinced enough that they can perceive a difference though. It's your money!!:rolleyes:

AndyP & Lenore
26th June 2008, 09:22 AM
Aye true enough Gaj. To be honest, I'm using my first "digital" cable now with hooking the PS3 up to my plasma with a HDMI cable. Until recently everything in my kit has been Scart or Component based - analogue data. So if I'm being honest, I don't really have any frame of reference regarding a cheap digital cable and an expensive digital cable. Difference between cheap/good quality analogue cables though, is vast.:thud:

AndyP & Lenore
26th June 2008, 09:25 AM
Although I've used digital audio cables for a while now - always optical. But I've always opted for a decent quality one. So again, I've no idea what the sound would be like out of a cheapy one. Probably no discernible difference. But I know the decent quality one won't fall apart on me in 10 minutes.

Gismo
26th June 2008, 11:20 AM
Nice one Fergus, i couldn't bring myself to comment cause i don't have the technical knowledge or ability to prove it.
Suffice to say i agree with everything you said :rolleyes:

FergusM
26th June 2008, 11:23 AM
In simple terms 11001001110001001100010010001 is 11001001110001001100010010001 whatever cable it's transmitted by. That's the beauty of a digital signal. If the signal wasn't getting through cleanly there would be obvious digital artefacts like pixellation. It wouldn't make a difference to the contrast/sharpness/colour etc., like it can with an analogue signal. Lots of people do seem convinced enough that they can perceive a difference though. It's your money!!:rolleyes:

mmm....can I disagree ?

So I test microcontrollers for a living, digital 8/16/32 bit micros that mainly go into cars (fuel injection, electric windows and everything in between). We spend a lot of time testing digital micro with expensive ($1m+) testers...and a lot of that is looking at digital signals. A "1" is not counted as a "1" unless it arrives at the correct point with the correct amplitude...then it is a "1"

So between the PS3, which spits out "1's" and "0's" down the cable, and the TV receiving them if the cable is of bad quality the signal gets noisey...and that can affect the way the signal is received and interpretted...it will induce noise even in digital signals. I know if we have contact issues in the testers it effects if a part passes or fails.

So...I would recommend a good cable "IXOS" etc...but probably not worth spending tooo silly money on it. I would recommend to bin the standard ones you get "free".

That is my thoughts anyway, I know when I get round to getting a flat TV I will certainly be getting good cables...

Big Gordy
26th June 2008, 12:20 PM
:off topic: :eek: How did you manage that BS :confused: Replied to Fergus's post before Fergus had even posted it....:thud: You have indeed got strange powers ohhhh short northern one:thumbs up:

FergusM
26th June 2008, 12:38 PM
That was me...wrote something, submitted it, re-read it and deleted as it did not read well...re-wrote a new reply and by time I had done that BS had already read it....

You can believe that or he can see the future...and if he can can I have the lottery numbers for Saturday please :)

GAJ
26th June 2008, 02:20 PM
It would appear that we are actually at consensus. How disappointing!!;) What I've been trying to say, but apparently failing, is that with a digital signal you won't get a "better" picture with a more efficient cable like you would with an analogue signal. If part of the signal is not receivable it will be very apparent by way of artefacts caused by read errors. Group hug!!

FergusM
26th June 2008, 03:16 PM
Sounds like we are almost...completely agree that after a point no benefit in getting a better (as in more expensive) cable..as I agree with that the signal will not improve.

Still think that a cheap cable could cause the signal to get worse and it would be visible on the TV (in some conditions). So would say buy a 1/2 decent IXOS one....