PDA

View Full Version : Our red MINI goes the JCW way.

AndyP & Lenore
20th June 2008, 11:36 PM
As most of you know, our red MINI is a long-term project for us, and this week we took a big step...:D

We've fitted the JCW 210 tuning kit.:thud:

John Clark (site sponsor) were offering the kit at a very reasonable price, and we couldn't resist any longer. So we gave them a call last week and booked it in for Wednesday. Picked it up today.:thumbs up:

As the kit has a run-in period, it's difficult to tell if there's a huge difference in it yet. I'm pretty sure there was more low down grunt than previously, but we are keeping it below the 4.5K rpm for now, breaking the car in gradually.

I am sure once the kit has bedded in and we can open the throttle a bit more we will see a real difference.

Just wanted to say a quick thank you to JC's for the absolute seamless experience in booking the car in, dropping off and picking up. You guys rock!

The Play MINI is off the car and goes to it's new owner tomorrow morning. It may even make an appearance on Sunday.

We already had the JCW air filter, so the new one that came with the kit is boxed up and goes to it's new owner in July (some penny saving going on).;)

A.:D

Gismo
21st June 2008, 02:23 AM
I can see a JCW social group looming :idea:

Craig
21st June 2008, 10:37 AM
Hope we see it on Sunday - good way to put a few hundred miles on the car.. :thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
21st June 2008, 10:40 AM
Hope we see it on Sunday - good way to put a few hundred miles on the car.. :thumbs up:

Yes. All washed, waxed and prepped for Sunday.:thumbs up:

Scottie
21st June 2008, 05:54 PM
bit of a waste on the auto is it not.:p I'm kidding. way to go JCW.:thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
21st June 2008, 09:16 PM
bit of a waste on the auto is it not.:p I'm kidding. way to go JCW.:thumbs up:

:thumbs up::thumbs up:

ELFMAN
24th June 2008, 01:36 PM
I can see Shell's profits soaring already........ Kerchiiiiiiing! Didn't get a chance to blether about the kit on Sunday - too busy minding my tyre bulge.......will catch up ASAP.

AndyP & Lenore
24th June 2008, 03:42 PM
I can see Shell's profits soaring already........ Kerchiiiiiiing! .

I think they were already.;):D

Still need to fully run it in though, only about another 500 or 600 miles to go.:D:D

illegalhunter
29th June 2008, 11:31 AM
Why would you pay for the JCW when you can get the power for half the price. It will sound great tho, its my fav of both your cars.

jaffamaster
23rd July 2008, 02:05 PM
Why would you pay for the JCW when you can get the power for half the price. It will sound great tho, its my fav of both your cars.

Intersting, can someone fill in the details... more power :thumbs up:

stoney
23rd July 2008, 06:06 PM
yep you can go to gtt or lohen or just a re map there is plenty you can do !!!!

AndyP & Lenore
23rd July 2008, 11:24 PM
Like Mr Stone says, there a good few aftermarket tuning options these days for the R53. But this time, we just wanted the official kit. It's our money, Mr Hunter.:hand:

stoney
24th July 2008, 06:25 AM
Like Mr Stone says, there a good few aftermarket tuning options these days for the R53. But this time, we just wanted the official kit. It's our money, Mr Hunter.:hand:

i like the jcw stuff to be honist :thumbs up:you can still do stuff after that ie manifold ,intercooler and so on :thumbs up:

Gismo
24th July 2008, 07:01 AM
I was very happy with my BBR conversion, which, cost almost as much as the JCW.
I'd be happy enough to go the non standard route again, but, i bought my current S with the factory conversion already.

There are definitely other options to the expense of JCW but that just throws up the warranty debate etc, so, it's a personal choice at the end of the day :yes nod:

ELFMAN
24th July 2008, 02:29 PM
Have you 'booted' it yet Andy & Lenore? Must be run in by now. I'm not entirely sure about all this 'running in' malarkey - I heard that one of the guys at the actual JCW Garage fitted the kit and would then gun it up the road, if it hit the ton by a certain point, he would declare it 'a good one'. I understand running in a brand new engine (although some argue that even that's not totally necessary), but just a cylinder head etc I'm not so fussed with. I just drove mine fairly normally for a few hundred miles without absolutely blasting it. The thing about the 210 is that it comes into its own at silly speeds..... cheerio licence, but you should notice the extra grunt everywhere. The original S developed peak power at about 6,000rpm, whereas the JCW does it at about 6,950rpm, so work it out. Your petrol consumption will probably be quite scary with the 210 and the Auto when you give it some beans though. (Remember BMW say you should use High Octane juice in you JCW = Ker-Chiiiing!).

Don't listen to those 'Mini Less it's Great' (my @rse) Honda Jockeys - they're just jealous, their cars are quick but they sure ain't got soul! Of course there are other MINI tuners which get similar power gains, often for less dosh, but if your car's still in Warranty, it can be argued that the 'Official' kit is worth some £££ for peace of mind. I actually got another 2 years warranty on the engine when I fitted the 210 kit. After the warranty's up, many good tuners like Lohen are offering upgrades based on your JCW 210 - these include manifolds and intercoolers, crank pulleys, cams etc etc. My car will be 5 in December and I'm still swithering about handing my car to Lohen and getting them to tune the nuts off it or saving up for a new MINI.... My heart says tune, my head says trade! Lohen are getting 240bhp+ for about £1400 (I think) but as I already have the manifold and intercooler etc, I'd save a fair bit..... for the Coilovers and big brakes - and a toilet roll holder. The more power you want, the more you have to spend - initially you can get a lot of bang for your bucks, but it's diminishing returns from there on up and of course your MPG will just die.

See y'all on Sunday - I've ordered the special 'Works Team' V-Power tanker.