PDA

View Full Version : To sell or not to sell?

Bazthemod
20th June 2008, 04:02 PM
Ok as some of you may know i own a classic style mini too. Problem is as the costs of everything hike up i cant run both of them!

Original plan was to run the classic as a summer car but it hasnt happened this year because cost of insurance would wipe me out basically :rolleyes: Im 500 for my Mini One and about the same for the classic :ragin:

On top of this i would have tax and MOT to pay.... needless to say he will need work done after sitting for a year.

So what should i do... cut the sentimental chords and let go or save up and put my plans to motion next year?

Making things worse is a neighbour seriously willing to pay a good price for him :argh:

Thoughts are appreciated ;)

http://file012b.bebo.com/7/large/2007/07/31/23/1799036806a5146797339l.jpg
http://file012b.bebo.com/7/large/2007/07/31/23/1799036806a5146797297l.jpg

Craig
20th June 2008, 05:09 PM
Baz, it's a very personal thing when a car has been with you for a fair time and you love it as much as you obviously love your classic. If it was me and I could keep the car without it costing me, then I would give it another year, :smilewinkgrin:

HOWEVER, if you have someone that could give you decent money for him and you have plans for your car, then go for it, life is too short. :yes nod::yes nod:

AndyP & Lenore
20th June 2008, 11:28 PM
Baz, like Craig says, life is too short. What's the point in the classic sitting on your driveway gathering rust, when you'll just spend the summer longing to take it out when you can't.

From what I recall from earlier conversation's you're just a young'un, so maybe next year you'll be in a better financial position to get hold of another good quality classic and spend more time driving it.

All just IMHO.:thumbs up:

A.:D

Gismo
21st June 2008, 02:27 AM
Baz, as much as anyone can like a car, at the end of the day, that's what it is :eek: did i really say that.
Sadly, with young age, you haven't had the long and troubled excercise of growing older and reaping the finacial rewards that can go along with that and will often find yourself in these situations.

You asked for opinions, so, if i were you, i'd sell up, take the generous offer, believe me, there are better classics out there, when you're ready to buy another you'll find it ;)

Difficult choice, but you're a level headed guy, enjoy the new mods :thumbs up:

euan
21st June 2008, 09:43 AM
Baz, all good advise and I'm going to have to agree.

There comes a point when unless your willing to punt in a good whack of cash these older cars just become uneconomical to run. I wanted to keep my old Golf GTi and get it done up when I got my Mini, but there was just no way I could do it so the Golf went. Regrets? Yes sometimes, but if I did want to go and get another I could.

I'd say take the offer. Difficult, but it's what I would do.

Scottie
21st June 2008, 06:03 PM
Take the offer and run.:thumbs up: You can always buy another classic when the time is right, once your married, had the kids, they have grown up and left etc etc. (although my mum says I still cost her money)LOL

For the moment take the cash.