PDA

View Full Version : Nokia E65 replacement

AndyP & Lenore
19th June 2008, 10:23 AM
Looking to replace my Nokia E65 slider phone.

Looking at Nokia's web site the best one looks to be an N81 or an N78. Anyone else had one/got an N78? How tactile are the buttons? They don't look too smart to me, but may feel ok in use.

The N81 looks more of a media machine rather than a smartphone with good web browsing. Being able to text quickly is a priority as well as a really good web surfing browser. The E65 is a brilliant browser. Does everything I need it to.

This is the one I have now: E65
http://regmedia.co.uk/2007/02/28/compo_nokia_e65_1.jpg

This is the one I'm looking at: N81
http://www.jugaccino.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/nokia-n81.jpg

As well as this one: N78
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/images/news/aas_mwc_nokia_n78.jpg

Any thoughts....:confused:

A.:D

Smitty
19th June 2008, 10:41 AM
I don't know much about the Nokias I'm afraid but if it's good web browsing your looking for why don't you wait until July 12th and buy a new iPhone? The web browsing functions on it are quite simply outstanding! It also has built in GPS so no longer need a TomTom or similar sat nav system!

And the cost of them has been reduced drastically for 2nd Gen. My name is certainly on the pre-order list:thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
19th June 2008, 11:00 AM
Cheers for the input Martin. However, I stupidly "upgraded" to a HTC touch dual smartphone a few months ago. Used it for about 2 or 3 days and ditched it. Punted onto eBay. It was very similar to the iPhone, in that is was touch screen controlled, and used that fancy touch-flo phone navi system. But it runs on Windows Mobile 6, which is infinitely slower than Windows Mobile 5 - which was fine - and it kept switching itself on and off, and answering and making calls while it was in my pocket. Hated it - as you can tell. So I'm back to the E65 for now and as it is a year old and looking a bit battered, I'm looking to replace it with something.

Me and touch screens don't go together well.:frown:

RyanK
19th June 2008, 11:13 AM
I have an N82 and imo anyway, its a very good phone. Great camera too! The buttons are a suitable size however do take a minute to get used to.

The N81 looks very cool although unsure on reviews etc though sorry.

Gismo
19th June 2008, 12:34 PM
Andy, you should reconsider the iPhone, mikeythemini mentioned to me that it's simply the best he's ever used and coming from him that says summat :thumbs up:

euan
19th June 2008, 01:02 PM
I'm going to the Sony C902 over the Nokias. I just don't like the Nokia menus and the Sony (I think) is smaller than those mentioned. And it's 3G. Smaller screen though. Great camera from what I've seen, 5MP!

GAJ
19th June 2008, 01:04 PM
Andy, you should reconsider the iPhone, mikeythemini mentioned to me that it's simply the best he's ever used and coming from him that says summat :thumbs up:

In two minds about it. Still only 8 or 16 gb. Might hold on until xmas time when I think capacities may well double. Or might not, shiny Apple gadget!!!:rolleyes:

Some good, balanced info here - http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jun/19/iphone.blackberry

Smitty
19th June 2008, 01:17 PM
In two minds about it. Still only 8 or 16 gb. Might hold on until xmas time when I think capacities may well double. Or might not, shiny Apple gadget!!!:rolleyes:

Some good, balanced info here - http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jun/19/iphone.blackberry

I'm not sure if they will double the capacities just yet....surely if they were going to increase them then it would be done with the V2 launch?

Then again it's apple and the are swines sometimes....still, just can't resit there gorgeous gadgets!!

If touch screen isn't for you Andy, then I can understand why you don't want the iPhone. Could be worth a pop into the O2 shop to have a play though....they really are super slick, and the new one will be even more refined!

AndyP & Lenore
19th June 2008, 01:25 PM
The trouble with the iPhone is it's only on O2. I'm on Orange and contracted for another 12 months. So whatever I go for will be sim free or PAYG on Orange and I'll just stick my Sim card in.

euan, whats the Sony like for surfing the web? Essential for me.:blush:

Gismo
19th June 2008, 01:28 PM
The trouble with the iPhone is it's only on O2Widely available unlocked on eBay :rolleyes:

AndyP & Lenore
19th June 2008, 01:32 PM
Widely available unlocked on eBay :rolleyes:

Really.:eek: I didn't realise that. I thought it was strictly an O2 phone. The N78 and N81 I'm looking at are O2 phones also, but will buy them sim free too, if I go for one of them. As they are an O2 phone and the iPhone is an O2 phone and we have an O2 shop in Gala, I suppose I could kill 3 birds with one stone and check it out.

A.

AndyP & Lenore
19th June 2008, 01:36 PM
:eek::eek::eek: Just checked out the iPhone prices on eBay. £300+

Back to the Nokia's methinks....

A.

Scottie
19th June 2008, 02:06 PM
well I like my phones, in the past I've been known to buy them every other month

BUT

now that I have my iphone it's brillant great smashing the best ever phone will only ever replace it with another iphone upgrade texting on the iphone is great.

Buy from 02 then pay £45 to get it unblocked:thumbs up:

Scottie
19th June 2008, 02:10 PM
I should add the touch screen on the iphone is brillant (can you tell I like the phone) I can even use it without my glasses so simple to zoom in and make the text on screen huge. I often look a NMS at home on my iphone.

On the O2 package internet browsing is unlimited.:thumbs up:

Gismo
19th June 2008, 02:12 PM
On the O2 package internet browsing is unlimited.:thumbs up:Is it now, hmm, how much to add internet browsing Fi :off topic: :moonie:

Scottie
19th June 2008, 02:17 PM
Is it now, hmm, how much to add internet browsing Fi :off topic: :moonie:

Well I was currently on O2 so gave that phone and sim to Allan. I bought the iphone and a 18 month contract all for £35 a month. So far I have never once went over my £35. I don't use the phone for calls much

it's all for texting and internet.

I do on average 10 to 20 text a day.

The battery life I find very good however is you spend most of the day on the internet it needs charged by the end of the day.

If just using it for texting and calling I can easy get a week out of the battery and that is it on 24hrs.

CooperSNut
19th June 2008, 02:38 PM
I have always been a Nokia fan and recently changed my phone to the new Sony Ericsson W910i. I think they are brilliant. Great camera, easy and quick texting, buttons functional, good web browzing and email facility, just a good all round phone. Highly recommend the Sony Ericsson W910i.

Craig
19th June 2008, 03:33 PM
As per my conversation with you earlier Andy, I would have a look at the N82 from Orange (as you are already on it...) it has a GPS receiver and Nokia Maps. :cool:

I am defo a fan of the iphone, thinking about it for when my contract renews... ;)

Forbes
19th June 2008, 03:37 PM
I was listening to the radio slightly drunk i admit, but am sure they were speaking about a new iPhone and that it would cost £100. Well thats the way i heard it anyway, and am probably wrong.

The Dogfather
19th June 2008, 03:46 PM
Andy, there are rumours of the new iphone being made available on other networks. I'd sit tight for a while.

Burple
19th June 2008, 03:55 PM
I'm going to the Sony C902 over the Nokias. I just don't like the Nokia menus and the Sony (I think) is smaller than those mentioned. And it's 3G. Smaller screen though. Great camera from what I've seen, 5MP!

just had a look at the Sony Ericsson site..
ooh, I like the look of the c905! I think I may have found my next phone-toy! :cool::thumbs up:

8Megapixel camera.. lol. overkill? maybe, but the Sony cybershots are pretty good. Wouldn't have one for a 'real' camera tho, but good fun for a phone! :thumbs up:

GAJ
19th June 2008, 04:21 PM
I'm not sure if they will double the capacities just yet....surely if they were going to increase them then it would be done with the V2 launch?
Then again it's apple and the are swines sometimes....still, just can't resit there gorgeous gadgets!!
I didn't say just yet - in about six months time (xmasish) after the initial sales rush has died down to rekindle interest. Just a guess though, but I'm going to hold on cos my suspicions are strong! ;)
As usual the Mash hit the nail on the head a few weeks ago - http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/science-%26-technology/apple-to-fool-public-for-207th-time-200806091008/

Contrary to what may have been rumoured, the iPhone will only be available officially on 02 in the UK for the forseeable, although they will also be offering it on PAYG as well as the £30, £35, £45 & £75 pm contracts.

AndyP & Lenore
19th June 2008, 04:24 PM
OK. Just back from a wee trip down town. Went into Carphone warehouse, Phones4U and O2 shop.

Carphone warehouse: Was speaking to the sales guy who was trying to be helpful and as informative as he could be and he was about to go in the back and get a couple of working models out for me to look at. Then the manager came running over shouted at him and me for being stupid enough to even think about an N78, N81 or an N82. The N78 and N81 have been withdrawn. Why, I asked. He looked clueless and said they are probably riddled with software faults. The ONLY N range phone I would be able to look at would be the N95. Besides, he said, that's the best one.

I promptly left.

Phones4U: Got chatting to a sales bloke and they only had an N82 I could look at. he went away to get it and brought it back to the desk. Sat it on the floor, brought out a "customer enquiry pad" and started asking questions.... No joke, this pad was gonna ask me about 20 or 30 questions, from my name down to my frikking shoe size and mothers maiden name. Told him rather impolitely to shove it. I wasn't allowed to even look at the phone.

O2: Really helpful guy. He got an N82 out and fired it up and let me to play with it for 10 mins or so. Enough time for me to realise it's not the phone for me.

In the other shops they all had N78's & N81's out on display, but as usual these were cheap nasty tester phones, so you don't get a proper feel for the buttons, but even they were enough to tell me they weren't for me either.

So, back to the drawing board.

In the O2 shop I did have a look at the iPhone, and its a lovely phone. Great display, really good touch screen system. I did like it, but am I right in saying the ONLY way to text is to use a full qwerty keybaord? I am so used to the usual mobile phone layout of "abc", "def" etc. I just couldn't get my fat fingers to hit the correct letters using the qwerty buttons.

Taking into account there's a new iPhone out, the guy was even honest enough with me to suggest if I did want one, I should wait a few weeks. So I would do that anyway. But I would HAVE to be able to text using standard mobile keybaord layout - not qwerty.

Sony's. Sorry, I just can't stand the menu system.

A.

Scottie
19th June 2008, 04:57 PM
OK.

Taking into account there's a new iPhone out, the guy was even honest enough with me to suggest if I did want one, I should wait a few weeks. So I would do that anyway. But I would HAVE to be able to text using standard mobile keybaord layout - not qwerty.

Sony's. Sorry, I just can't stand the menu system.

A.

Andy the keyboard is a breeze to use. The phone so clever you could miss hit so many keys when trying to type your word that the phone knows what word it is your were trying to type in the first place and puts it in for you. I've got chubby little fingers myself and can't not see anything close up without my glasses to type the correct word my spelling is shot to hell. I just couldn't operate without my iphone now, a couple of weeks getting use to it and you will never go back.:thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
19th June 2008, 08:22 PM
Andy the keyboard is a breeze to use. The phone so clever you could miss hit so many keys when trying to type your word that the phone knows what word it is your were trying to type in the first place and puts it in for you. I've got chubby little fingers myself and can't not see anything close up without my glasses to type the correct word my spelling is shot to hell. I just couldn't operate without my iphone now, a couple of weeks getting use to it and you will never go back.:thumbs up:

Hmmmm... I did play around with it in the shop, but found it fiddly and awkward Fi. Honest. No way I could text one handed with that keyboard.

However, I may have found the answer to my quest....:thumbs up:

Nokia E66 (http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=169192&partner=uknews)

Kinda blows my budget but if it does what I want.....;)