PDA

View Full Version : Finally got me a mini cooper s;

liam.smart
12th June 2008, 01:32 PM
Woohoo,

After searching and viewing mini's for over 5 months I finally found the one for me! Its bought and sits proudly outside my house now. So chuffed:D

Its got the alarm and full leather which is what I was holding out for. Ive actually had it just over 6 weeks now and there are a few things I'm worried about:

1. I have a slow puncture in one of the run-flat tyres (dunlop sport 9000). I need to pump it up every 2/3 weeks roughly. Where is cheapest place I can source one of these tyres? I've done a wee search on Google and getting around the £150.

2. The air-con just isn't blowing cold air:argh: And its been good weather lately and still driving with the window down to keep cool. Does it need recharged? or is this common that the air-con in minis just isn't cold.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
--

Gismo
12th June 2008, 01:35 PM
Nice one Liam, not so good about the wee hitches.
Do you know exactly where the leak on the tyre is, it maybe just around the rim and needs reseating.

As for the air con, sounds like it's run dry, or even leaks :eek: is the car still under warranty, even from the garage you bought it from??
That would be my first call, failing that, mikeythemini replaces and repairs the units, if your close to him

Forbes
12th June 2008, 01:39 PM
Good to hear you got your Mini. Get some pics up!

Sweeney
12th June 2008, 01:58 PM
You dont need a new tyre, simple puncture repair will suffice! :thumbs up: Unless its a leaky valve (simple replacement)/needing reseated as above

liam.smart
12th June 2008, 02:07 PM
Does any tyre place like kwik-fir (or however its spelt) do repairs on tyres? Or am i best just taking it to bmw? Its due a service in 1200 miles so could just keep pumping it up untill then I suppose. But would rather get it seen to so its off my mind.

I have no idea where the puncture or anything would be so would just have to take it to a garage.

Im hoping the air-con just needs recharged. Its an 04 plate so does that sounds like it has ran out of juice? Do they units get recharged at service? Im not really sure how air-con works so excuse the lack of knowledge.

Where is mikeythemini man based? Im just outside dundee.

Need to get the wheels refurbished before pics go up mate. They are a bit scuffed. Hopefully refurbishment will do the trick. (although i cant see how its possible to repair scuffs on wheel... im guessing alloy refurbishment people just give them a new coat of paint? Again not really sure hwo that works either:confused:)

Loving the bit of oomph driving the thing though. I was used to a clio diesel 1.5 that top speed at around 90 so this is just great for me! So chuffed as you can probably tell:D

Only done 27k too! Well 27.5 now since I have went on trips in it since getting it.

ianking
12th June 2008, 02:26 PM
Better going to an independant tyre place and getting the tyre repaired. BMW and kwik fit will want to sell you a new one.

There are plenty places re-charging air con, I think even halfords does it for less than £90.

Burple
12th June 2008, 02:54 PM

Nice one! :cool::cool:
What's the colour and spec? Keep your eyes open round Dundee for a Purple One! I'll wave back! :cool::thumbs up:

FergusM
12th June 2008, 03:02 PM
Does any tyre place like kwik-fir (or however its spelt) do repairs on tyres? Or am i best just taking it to bmw? Its due a service in 1200 miles so could just keep pumping it up untill then I suppose. But would rather get it seen to so its off my mind.

I have no idea where the puncture or anything would be so would just have to take it to a garage.

Im hoping the air-con just needs recharged. Its an 04 plate so does that sounds like it has ran out of juice? Do they units get recharged at service? Im not really sure how air-con works so excuse the lack of knowledge.

Need to get the wheels refurbished before pics go up mate. They are a bit scuffed. Hopefully refurbishment will do the trick. (although i cant see how its possible to repair scuffs on wheel... im guessing alloy refurbishment people just give them a new coat of paint? Again not really sure hwo that works either:confused:)

Loving the bit of oomph driving the thing though. I was used to a clio diesel 1.5 that top speed at around 90 so this is just great for me! So chuffed as you can probably tell:D

Only done 27k too! Well 27.5 now since I have went on trips in it since getting it.

Mikey is based in Liverpool !!!! well worth the drive though.

When alloys re-furbished you should not see any marks, they should fill in the marks, unless to deep.

Kwik-fit also will re-charge your air con for not a lot of ££...and think they run some sort of guarantee that if it does not fix it you don't pay. When you get it done remember to run it at least for 20 minutes once a week. There is a lubricant in the gas and if not run it then fails to lubricate the seals and then the gas leaks. To be honest I run the air con all the time unless window is down...

Forbes
12th June 2008, 09:45 PM
Mikey is based in Liverpool !!!! well worth the drive though.
Here Here:D

Gismo
13th June 2008, 02:45 AM
Mikey is based in Liverpool !!!! well worth the drive thoughWell worth a visit :thumbs up:

To be honest I run the air con all the time unless window is down...Me too, even with the window down, look for signs of a puddle under the car, this is ok normally, means it's working, unless you've got a leak.
It works on the same principle as the older fridges

Crombers
13th June 2008, 07:49 AM
Welcome to NMSland :cool:

I agree with 'the boss' re your tyre problem as it sounds to me as if the tyre will need re seating on the alloy & that some debris is preventing a proper seal.

liam.smart
13th June 2008, 09:05 AM
Was on Kwik-Fit website and right enough they do offer the service where if your air-con isnt working when they've doen their business, I dont need to pay!

Probably be a bit dearer than other places but the fact that if it is broken, then I wont have to pay a thing. So worth it I reckon.Phoning them at lunch time to see what the deal is and how long it would take.

Def no puddles under the car but it could have been empty when I bought the thing but I shall find out soon if its a leaky air-con.

Might even go on my lunch break or after work. Keep you posted!

liam.smart
13th June 2008, 09:06 AM
p.s. Anyone in the Dundee area ever went to chips-away to get their alloys refurbished?

liam.smart
13th June 2008, 09:40 AM
Nice one! :cool::cool:
What's the colour and spec? Keep your eyes open round Dundee for a Purple One! I'll wave back! :cool::thumbs up:

Nice one! I will keep my eyes peeled for a purple one. Shouldn't be hard to notice as never seen a purple one on my travels as yet.

As for spec, not really much to tell as its just standard cooper s with chilli pack with the full leather seats and alarm... oh and one performance mod I added myself... (performance) Magic Tree "new car" smell which I feel has added at least 5bhp!:laugh::laugh:

liam.smart
13th June 2008, 01:14 PM
Thats it booked into Kwik-Fit tomorrow morning. £44.95 but when I enquired about the fact that if that doesnt fix it I dont have too pay, the boy didnt seem too forthcoming with that deal.

But its on their website so they have to stick to it. I might be driving home nice and chilled tomorrow with any luck:D

FergusM
13th June 2008, 03:51 PM
Seems a good price to get them to re-charge it. I would certainly think twice about letting them doing anything else however...

liam.smart
14th June 2008, 05:15 PM
Just got the mini back and very very happy! Air-con is now def working:D

Its just a pitty the weather is that bad in Dundee today that I had to have the heaters on:argh: But I did test to make sure it working before I handed over money to them!

So for anyone else who needs theirs recharged it only costs £44.95 which is great but they have your car all day as they just fit it in between jobs. But for £45 squid I wasn't complaining.

Called one of the guys that advertises in the CarMart about getting my alloys refurbished. He comes to your house and has a van kitted out to spray in. He sand blasts them to get rid of all the scuffs and says they will look new. This is happening on the 1st or 2nd of next month so looking forward to see what they turn out like. £50 a wheel. That sound about right you reckon?

AndyP & Lenore
14th June 2008, 07:05 PM

So for anyone else who needs theirs recharged it only costs £44.95 which is great but they have your car all day as they just fit it in between jobs. But for £45 squid I wasn't complaining.

Liam, glad your happy and got your air con back - especially in time for the summer hot weather. But, if re-charging an air con unit is a procedure Kwik Fit advertise and charge for, I don't see why it has to be left "to fit in around other jobs". What their saying is your air con re-charge job is less important to them than Joe Blogs who wants a brake service or an exhaust change. Wouldn't have had that attitude with Tom Farmer at the helm.:ragin:

Rant over.

Called one of the guys that advertises in the CarMart about getting my alloys refurbished. He comes to your house and has a van kitted out to spray in. He sand blasts them to get rid of all the scuffs and says they will look new. This is happening on the 1st or 2nd of next month so looking forward to see what they turn out like. £50 a wheel. That sound about right you reckon?

I would say for a complete wheel re-furb that's not far wrong. The couple of time I've kerbed my alloys and Rimtek have fixed it, it has been about £30. But that has just been 1 dent/score, not the whole wheel needing re-furbed. And if he is anything like Rimtek down here in the Borders, your wheels should look brand new when it's done.:cool:

A.:D

Gismo
15th June 2008, 04:47 AM
Glad to hear the air con is working Liam, like Andy though, if i was paying 45 quid for a job to be done i'd expect better service than that :yes nod: