PDA

View Full Version : Was recce-ing the Borders Run route today when....

AndyP & Lenore
6th June 2008, 11:50 PM
We passed a classic Mini which had come to a fairly sudden stop at the side of the road. It looked to be sitting at a bit of an angle that just didn't look "right".:frown:

So we stopped just ahead of the Mini and got out to see what was up. Turns out the guy had lost his front near-side wheel! :eek::thud: No one was hurt in the sudden stop, luckily. But when I say he had "lost" his wheel, I really mean it. The four of us (Lenore & I, and the bloke & his burd), searched 100 yards in front and behind where he came to a stop - no wheel. The road-side was pretty heavy undergrowth, with bushes and weeds growing, and the opposite side of the road was the same with a 20 foot banking down to a river which was very low and slow running.

The only thing we can think has happened is when the wheel came off it bounced off the nearside road edge and wall, across the road and down into the river.

The guy called the RAC and after 30 mins of searching, we left them to it. Felt really sorry for him, but that wheel was no-where to be found easy. I think the guy was gonna have to go for a dunk (or at least a paddle), if I'm honest.

Couldn't even find any wheel studs either though. Strange.:confused::confused:

It was a nice Silver Mini 25 too.:cool:

A.

t18tav
7th June 2008, 12:05 AM
poor bloke that aint a very nice thing to happen, i was driving a work van when the same ting happend to me, scared the hell out of me.
did the boy have alloys or were thy just steelys?

AndyP & Lenore
7th June 2008, 12:43 AM
poor bloke that aint a very nice thing to happen, i was driving a work van when the same ting happend to me, scared the hell out of me.
did the boy have alloys or were thy just steelys?

Hmmmm. Good question. Not sure, but they were pretty chunky things. They certainly weren't little thin tyres, they had a decent depth to them. Can you tell I know very little about classic's?:blush:

A.:D

Gismo
7th June 2008, 03:11 AM
If he couldn't find the alloy then he would have been able to use the spare wheel and borrow a wheel nut off the three remaining wheels :thumbs up:

t18tav
7th June 2008, 03:18 AM
ye that would be a good idea:thumbs up:
but what if the wishbone was broken aswell they would have had to get a flat back out to get them home:frown:

Big Gordy
7th June 2008, 08:41 AM
A lost wheel can bounce along for a fair old distance if it was spinning round at 30mph when it made its bid for freedom:yes nod:
Watch the end (or is it the begining:eyes up:) of the original Italian Job where they lob the mowtas of the cliff to see what I mean:smilewinkgrin:

AndyP & Lenore
7th June 2008, 09:33 AM
A lost wheel can bounce along for a fair old distance if it was spinning round at 30mph when it made its bid for freedom:yes nod:
Watch the end (or is it the begining:eyes up:) of the original Italian Job where they lob the mowtas of the cliff to see what I mean:smilewinkgrin:

I said that to them, but they insisted they hadn't seen the wheel rolling away from them.:confused:

A.