PDA

View Full Version : 4 tomorrow

Crombers
6th June 2008, 06:59 PM
Just a wee update (especially for those who keep their MINI's long enough :cool:) on my wee MINI as she turns 4 tomorrow (happy birthday - "lah dee da") with 55843 miles on the clock.
Put her in for her MOT today & sailed through it as she did last year with nowt required. I did however ask (my friends motor engineering company & MOT station) if they could inspect the brake pads & although there was so - so mileage left in the (original) fronts the decision was made to replace them (Craig you can stand easy on the next run mate :rolleyes::D). The 'original' rear pads however are fine, and have plenty life left in them apparently.
She is now ready (175 miles to go) for her first major service & will be booked in next week at the 'local' MINI dealership. I opted to buy the TLC XL last year for £300 which covers this service plus the next 'intermediate' one. Now that she is enjoying retirement from all front line duties the mileage should now drastically reduce & in the years to come will only be taken out on weekend jaunts & NMS runs.
Still considering the 'manifold' option but next port of call after the big service will be to 'pay' the MINI Pit Crew their dues for 'wheel storage' ;) & fit an induction kit :D (c'mon the neds :thumbs up:).
Will also be popping up to see our nice friendly dealers in Dundee at some point to buy a few new bits & bobs & will re-post as to what I have treated myself to.
Finally, I'm still a tad wary of the 'chip' option but after speakin to those in the know last weekend, I would'nt rule it out completely ;).

Happy MINI'ing dudes :hand:

KenL
6th June 2008, 08:23 PM
... with 55843 miles on the clock.
Put her in for her MOT today & sailed through it as she did last year with nowt required. I did however ask (my friends motor engineering company & MOT station) if they could inspect the brake pads & although there was so - so mileage left in the (original) fronts the decision was made to replace them (Craig you can stand easy on the next run mate :rolleyes::D). The 'original' rear pads however are fine, and have plenty life left in them apparently.

Why are so many people having their pads (and discs!) changed at much earlier mileages by some dealers?

Sweeney
6th June 2008, 08:37 PM
I know of one dealer who phones everyone who puts their car in for a service gets a phone call stating pads and sometimes discs are requiring replaced...

I sat there waiting on the person i deal with for 15minutes and every phone call made was the exact same scripted bs :hand:

Forbes
6th June 2008, 09:24 PM
I just got mine pads changed at 39000miles. Old ones could do a bit more, but 3 garages told me to change and my trusted mechanic aswell.

Scottie
6th June 2008, 09:59 PM
Finally, I'm still a tad wary of the 'chip' option but after speakin to those in the know last weekend, I would'nt rule it out completely ;).

Chip Option:confused::confused: is that fish and chips ~ paint chip ~ performance chip.

If performance chip I wouldn't get one done no way.

I would go down the remap route via OBD everytime.

Perhaps you mean't a remap when you said chip.:smilewinkgrin:

rpn
6th June 2008, 10:35 PM
Why are so many people having their pads (and discs!) changed at much earlier mileages by some dealers?

My pads were changed at just over 20,000 miles! and the front discs too :confused:

markyc
6th June 2008, 10:53 PM
Wondered how long it would be before the induction kit made an appearance :p Hmm I'm sure I've still to collect some reddies for copyright infringement albeit they are a wee bit chipped now :eek: :confused: :thumbs up:

sedgie
6th June 2008, 11:39 PM
:eek: nearly 60k on clock :eek:...my wee eck is 5 in nov..and has just hit 25k:D:D:D:D:D...but glad yer wee mini is still running good:D

AndyP & Lenore
6th June 2008, 11:53 PM
Happy b'day Crombers (MINI).

Good to hear it's still passing it's MOT's.

A.:thumbs up:

Gismo
7th June 2008, 02:48 AM
Anytime any garage replaces parts on your car, always ask to see the older parts so that you can inspect them.
Whether they show you your actual old ones is up for debate :eek:

Craig
7th June 2008, 09:52 AM
Well done for changing your pads sir - I can rest easy the next time we are on a run. :cool::yes nod:

Crombers
9th June 2008, 07:59 AM
Well done for changing your pads sir - I can rest easy the next time we are on a run. :cool::yes nod:

Thought that would keep you happy sir :thumbs up:

Burple
9th June 2008, 09:55 AM

Well when you come up to sunny Dundee, give me a shout big man and I'll take you out for a wee spin and show you the joys ;):cool::D

joyce w
14th June 2008, 10:25 PM
I replaced all the brake pads in our mini at 32K, one of the rear pads was down to 1mm:eek: because the piston was sticking in the calliper,the front pads still had 5mm on them ,but the front discs had worn to within 0.1mm of the recommended thickness ,so it looks as if you would probably need new front discs with every pad change. Derek:thumbs up:.

Crombers
16th June 2008, 07:17 AM
Well when you come up to sunny Dundee, give me a shout big man and I'll take you out for a wee spin and show you the joys ;):cool::D

Cheers :thumbs up: