PDA

View Full Version : need help

t18tav
2nd June 2008, 11:10 PM
Have just put a new manifold and decat on my mini cooper s and the engine management light has come on, think it has gone into the safe mode cos it has slowed the car. Is there any way of me getting round this without putting the cat back on?

Gismo
3rd June 2008, 05:11 AM
Sounds like the Lambda sensor is reacting to something or nothing as the case may be.
Were you able to install it into the new system

t18tav
3rd June 2008, 06:33 AM
ye there put back in just wondering if there is anything that i can do to bypass them to turn the engine managment off cos the whole reason for the manifold and decat was to make it faster not slower.

Gismo
3rd June 2008, 07:00 AM
There is a way to reset the EML system that requires the use of the ignition switch, but, i can't remember :blush:
Hopefully someone else will be along shortly, failing that, take it into JC's

AndyP & Lenore
3rd June 2008, 09:02 AM
Are you sure it's in "safe mode"? It's just that safe mode is very very safe. I don't think the engine will go over 2,000 rpm, and you can't really get more than 20 mph, from what I recall others saying (it's never happened to me). Or is the reduction in speed more like it's top speed is maybe 10% less than what it was - note: I'm not referring to actual speeds as this is a public forum.;)

A.:D

Big Gordy
3rd June 2008, 09:11 AM
My laddie has just fitted a sports cat and manifolds to his MG and his engine management light won't go out:frown: He says you can get some kind of 'chip' that you wire in that tells the computer the cat is OK:eyes up: If I find out more info I'll post it up here:thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
3rd June 2008, 09:33 AM
My laddie has just fitted a sports cat and manifolds to his MG and his engine management light won't go out:frown: He says you can get some kind of 'chip' that you wire in that tells the computer the cat is OK:eyes up: If I find out more info I'll post it up here:thumbs up:

I've heard of that too Gordy.

james@
3rd June 2008, 10:44 AM
This is a well known problem with mini nothing usually blows but the mini is not ment to be cat-less the ECU has to be re-mapped to run de-cat and i mean has to be.

The engine losses to much torque lower down street cars dont need to run de-cat its only ment for race applictions where the car dosent drop below 4k rpm. modern ECU's and engines work fine with cats in place. its the actual stock manifold on the mini thats more restrictve than the stock cat.

KenL
3rd June 2008, 12:42 PM
This is a well known problem with mini nothing usually blows but the mini is not ment to be cat-less the ECU has to be re-mapped to run de-cat and i mean has to be.

The engine losses to much torque lower down street cars dont need to run de-cat its only ment for race applictions where the car dosent drop below 4k rpm. modern ECU's and engines work fine with cats in place. its the actual stock manifold on the mini thats more restrictve than the stock cat.

Should people be allowed to remove catalytic converters from their cars?

They are put there to protect us all, are they not?

ELFMAN
3rd June 2008, 01:57 PM
I've been running a Playmini Manifold with integral Sports Cat for AGES. My Emissions light has also been on for AGES. The MINI oxygen sensor seems to be VERY sensitive to changes in this area. I remember Andy & Lenore had their light come on with the P/Mini manifold on their old car as well. I certainly didn't notice any reduction in performance after fitting the manifold - it removed the bottleneck which passes for the O.E. manifold. My motor revved more freely and produces power right up to the rev limiter.

The first time my light came on, I was worried and had the car checked at the dealer (which cost me £45 for an M.O.T. Emissions Test!) and while the CO2 reading was slightly high, it was still within M.O.T. perameters. Passed M.O.T. again a few months ago. My light has gone off on it's own accord a couple of times, but has been on for months now. With the manifold not being original BMW, I'm not sure how the dealer would look at it now - depends what sort of mood they're in I think. Stoney's been running a De-Catted system for a long time now, and it hasn't slowed his car - but he's laid low with the 'Lurgy' at the moment, otherwise you could ask him. Hope you get it sorted.

stoney
3rd June 2008, 02:56 PM
ok i have the de cat in my car the only prob i have had is the Emissions light came on but did not do any thing to my power it has now gone off bye its self and stayed off ;)

but i did have the safe mode come on with the EML but it was loose pins in the acelerator

but as for fitting the manifold and decat no probs at all :thumbs up: was also told by a BMW tec that it would make no diffrence if the light was on or off it would not restrict me ;)

hope this helps

stoney :thumbs up:

james@
3rd June 2008, 03:36 PM

if an engine is properly tuned with a decent ECU (motec or emerald etc) then most cars will run cleaner de-catted than with a cat its a common thing among the lotus guys to run de-cat with an emerald ecu and have less co2 than a hybrid :thumbs up:

the process of making a cat is more damaging to the planet than running a car without one (mining and processing the platinum core is very damaging) as the reason they are 'law' is nothing to do with the fact that GM, VW and Ford all own large chucks of the companies that make them.

weve been running the millteck on bens cooper s for a while now with no sign of any warning lights, but we did run and re-route on it before the milly and the warning light came on with that, ive got a mani and sport cat and cat back coming some time for the cooper to see what that dose.

KenL
3rd June 2008, 04:30 PM
if an engine is properly tuned with a decent ECU (motec or emerald etc) then most cars will run cleaner de-catted than with a cat its a common thing among the lotus guys to run de-cat with an emerald ecu and have less co2 than a hybrid :thumbs up:

the process of making a cat is more damaging to the planet than running a car without one (mining and processing the platinum core is very damaging) as the reason they are 'law' is nothing to do with the fact that GM, VW and Ford all own large chucks of the companies that make them.

If ECUs can be designed to lower CO2 output to the levels you suggest, why are the car manufacturers not producing them to do just that?

The "fact" about catalysts is very surprising. I'd like to know more about this corruption.

james@
3rd June 2008, 11:18 PM
If ECUs can be designed to lower CO2 output to the levels you suggest, why are the car manufacturers not producing them to do just that?

The "fact" about catalysts is very surprising. I'd like to know more about this corruption.

on the ECU issue time and money running a second ecu adds a lot of cost to car as dose properly mapping it day or 2 on a dyno buy someone who knows ecus like the back of their hands is needed. think in the factory the stock ecu is flashed with a stock map on an engine whos tolerances are unknown, in truth there are good engines and there are bad ones if you have a bad one not even blueprinting is going to get it to make the power it should.

on the cats from memory it was back when the discussions about weather or not to make them law that the major players took the leap and bought into the companies that make them, think of the clout vw carries in germany, and for and gm im in america im not saying politicians are corrupt ;) the losses they would have made off loading these companies would have been huge tis no surprise that cats are law in the uk europe and the usa etc,

but i cant get over how people think they solve the problem all they do is try and make up for the damaged caused in making them in the first place and lthey dont even tend to last that long.

t18tav
4th June 2008, 02:12 AM
i have found this and think it might work but not too sure, what do you think?
http://www.eliseparts.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=117_159&products_id=406
I know that it is for a lotus but it dose say any car as well.

Gismo
4th June 2008, 06:20 AM
:off topic: Folks, lets try and stay on topic to help t18tav out, if you want to discuss the ins and outs of catalytic convertors then i would ask you to start your own thread :thumbs up:

james@
4th June 2008, 10:23 AM
i have found this and think it might work but not too sure, what do you think?
http://www.eliseparts.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=117_159&products_id=406
I know that it is for a lotus but it dose say any car as well.

i would avoid re-wring the mini esp with parts for a K series ecu as the minis wiring loom will be a totally different pile of spaghetti if the cars not im limp home mode and driving normally then you dont need to do anything as if you dont re-map it to tell it the lights just going to come back if you have it reset.

Big Gordy
4th June 2008, 10:49 AM
I don't think that wee gizmo is specificaly for K series ecu's as all its doing is telling the ecu its a full cat so it should work :thumbs up: It looks identical to the one Ross had on his 'K' engined ZR and the one he's about to fit on his V6 ZS to eliminated the engine warning light being on:yes nod: Both MGs (ZR & ZS) have a lot of stuff behind the dash (wiring, switches, plastic mouldings etc) marked with the BMW logo on it:smilewinkgrin:

stoney
4th June 2008, 04:35 PM
well as i said with mine the light has gone off has never been reset to go off just went off bye its self so give it a while and see what happens it took a good few miles before it went off tho

just before you go and spend money

t18tav
4th June 2008, 04:53 PM
cheers guys found one for a mini cooper, comes from the states, so im going to buy it, try it and see what happens.
If it work i will let you guys know.;)

Here is the link anyway http://www.o2simulator.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_8&products_id=8

t18tav
4th June 2008, 04:58 PM
see when your light was on did it loose torque cos mine has, so this thing is cheap enough to buy and try.

MartinSullivan
4th June 2008, 05:59 PM
If you are in aberdeen I have a fault code reader that should tell you exactly what the problem is and may reset the fault. Im offshore but should be back tomorrow and will be at my office off great western road on friday.

t18tav
4th June 2008, 06:41 PM
Hi how you doing i am also offshore just now got a week and a bit to go, can i get in contact with you when i get back? if so can you send me your number to my email and i will phone you when i get back?

Email t18tav@yahoo.co.uk
cheers tim

stoney
5th June 2008, 08:19 PM
nope did not seem to be a prob with it at all with light on of off when i had a chat with the guy i know who is head of the service at the dealer i used said it shoul make no diffrence it my just nee a re map to cope with it as mine is a works

james@
6th June 2008, 01:28 PM
nope did not seem to be a prob with it at all with light on of off when i had a chat with the guy i know who is head of the service at the dealer i used said it shoul make no diffrence it my just nee a re map to cope with it as mine is a works

it needs a remap to adjust for it as the engines torque balance moves to the top end when running de-cat i.e above 4krmp

t18tav
6th June 2008, 06:30 PM
it needs a remap to adjust for it as the engines torque balance moves to the top end when running de-cat i.e above 4krmp

Cheers min, im going to put this 02 sensore on and the get it remaped i think:thumbs up:

Gismo
7th June 2008, 02:58 AM
Cheers min, im going to put this 02 sensore on and the get it remaped i think:thumbs up:Martin Sullivan is your man, i think :blush: if he's still doing the remap thingy :computer:

t18tav
7th June 2008, 03:12 AM
just bought a OBD II CODE READER / RESET TOOL, so if there is a problem i will be able to see what it is. will let you know.

p.s. if anyone wonts to use it let me know and we can sort something out, once it comes that is.:thumbs up:

Craig
7th June 2008, 09:57 AM
just bought a OBD II CODE READER / RESET TOOL, so if there is a problem i will be able to see what it is. will let you know.

p.s. if anyone wonts to use it let me know and we can sort something out, once it comes that is.:thumbs up:

Good Tool - I can see that being popular at runs... :cool:

t18tav
8th June 2008, 08:49 PM
Good Tool - I can see that being popular at runs... :cool:

Right will bring it with me to the run at the end of june:thumbs up:

vintageb3
9th June 2008, 12:27 AM

Isn't that bumpers you are thinking of?;)

mark

stoney
9th June 2008, 04:38 PM
Right will bring it with me to the run at the end of june:thumbs up:

yep will have to plug mine in and see what it says as i have been runing the de cat for about 1 1/2 year now ;)

t18tav
21st June 2008, 03:04 PM
I cant belive it all it, the problem was is one of the engine fuses went,:argh: how enoying, oh well all fixed now and my brother has told me that it feels quite a bit quiker, up to 60 that is of caurse.:thumbs up:

stoney
21st June 2008, 04:18 PM
I cant belive it all it, the problem was is one of the engine fuses went,:argh: how enoying, oh well all fixed now and my brother has told me that it feels quite a bit quiker, up to 60 that is of caurse.:thumbs up:

good good as i said i have not had a prob after fiting mne :thumbs up: and deff a bit quicker it was felling real good when i took it on the track

t18tav
21st June 2008, 06:13 PM
good good as i said i have not had a prob after fiting mne :thumbs up: and deff a bit quicker it was felling real good when i took it on the track

has yours gone through a MOT with that on or do you change it out?

stoney
21st June 2008, 09:42 PM
has yours gone through a MOT with that on or do you change it out?

you have pm :thumbs up: