PDA

View Full Version : Knockhill MINI Experience

AndyP & Lenore
2nd June 2008, 08:17 PM
For Christmas, Santa (Lenore) got me an "Ultimate MINI Experience" at Knockhill. Used the voucher today.

What a cracking experience.:yes nod: Literally.:blush:

Started off driving the Seat Cupra with advice from Sacha showing me the racing line, when to turn in, when to lift off, when to brake etc., etc. The Cupra's are pretty quick cars with 240 horses under the bonnet. And in no time I was absolutely flying round the track. Sacha was really patient and gave great advice (which I eventually forgot when I got in the MINI, to my detriment).

After 4 or 5 laps driving the Cupra, she then took over driving and showed me the way "NOT to do it". I'm gonna be completely honest here, as much as it may make me look like a big girls blouse. After 4 laps of Sacha driving, if she hadn't pulled in, I would have had to ask her to pull over so I could HURL! Not joking. That lassie can DRIVE!!!! BUT, she was showing me the way NOT to do it, and the car was absolutely all over the road. There are a couple of corners, honestly, I don't know how she recovered and got the car back on the track without sliding into gravel and smashing the tyre wall.

So, after my nerves had calmed down a wee bit, I was shoe-horned into the MINI Cooper S JCW. This is a former MINI Challenge care and is fully race prepared with roll cage, stripped out interior, 4 point harness, no handbrake and a very very very patient instructor (who, embarrassingly I can't remember the name of) - we'll call him Eric, I think it may have been something like that anyway.

Eric was all of about 13 years old - or so it seemed, but I'm sure he was a bit older. Anyway, he gave me a wee pep-talk before we drove off, basically going over a few of the things Sacha had gone over in the Cupra.

So, off we set, heading towards the first corner nice and slow like, and I slowly built up speed as my confidence built, clipping the apex on each corner, driving straight for the cones which show the turn points etc.

After 4 laps, I was really getting the hang of it all and took Carlube a little too quick. Using natural survival instincts, I lifted off just as I came out the corner. Car didn't like that.:blush: I quickly lost all grip and steering and plummeted head first across twenty foot of gravel and smashed into the tyre wall.:eek: Tyres flew up in front of me, all the water held inside flew up over the windscreen and then the tyres came bouncing down around me, on top of the bonnet and windscreen. As we were gracefully sliding across the gravel I distinctly heard Eric very calmly say: "Oh f**k." No exclamation, no panic, no sense of worry, just a simple statement.:thud:

As soon as we came to rest and the tyres stopped dropping, the fist thing he said was "Are you OK?" Was startled at that, I honestly expected a: "What the F*** were you playing at?" Or some other criticism. The car was well embedded and had to be pulled out by their 4x4, so I had a 30 minute wait while it was tie wrapped and glued back together, making it roadworthy again. The whole time, I'm apologising to anyone with a Knockhill uniform on, and I have to say every single one of them were absolutely fantastic. Here I was mortified I'd wrecked their car and they were far more worried about my health and that I was OK. And assuring me that it "can happen". So I said, "oh, does it happen quite a lot?" Hoping that it did and that would make it easier for me to justify what had happened. But no, apparently it happened a few months ago, but it's still a rarity.

So, once the car was mended and the other guy waiting to go out in it had had his stint, I went straight out again. I was a bit more cautious this time, especially at Carlube, but I was still hitting over 100mph on the straights.

Overall, I had a great time. Knockhill really look after you and the instructors were very patient and informative.

Lenore took a couple of pics.

A.

http://www.reachercreatures.com/fun_stuff/P1000080-sml.jpg

http://www.reachercreatures.com/fun_stuff/P1000082-sml.jpg

Scottie
2nd June 2008, 08:22 PM
was it a auto:Whistle::Whistle::thud::thumbs up:

Craig
2nd June 2008, 08:24 PM
Sounds like a great day out :thumbs up:

do you think it was value for money? :cool:

cannae believe you binned it... :argh::laugh::thud:

AndyP & Lenore
2nd June 2008, 08:24 PM
was it a auto:Whistle::Whistle::thud::thumbs up:

lol

Nope.:hand:

Perfectly happy with a manual for a couple of hours.:thumbs up: Then my back starts to give up the ghost.:frown:

A.:D

AndyP & Lenore
2nd June 2008, 08:26 PM
Sounds like a great day out :thumbs up:

do you think it was value for money? :cool:

cannae believe you binned it... :argh::laugh::thud:

I think so.

I don't have much frame of reference as I've never done anything like it before.

But I think we were supposed to get track time info and we didn't get anything like that at the end. Was on way home by the time I remembered.:argh:

Jude
2nd June 2008, 08:50 PM
Sounds like a fun day out. I've been round Knockhill in the Seats at a corporate day. They're good fun to take round the track and I managed NOT to hit the tyres:laugh::laugh: Not sure how I would fare in the MINI.:smilewinkgrin:

euan
2nd June 2008, 09:24 PM
I did it YEARS ago in a race prepped Fiesta and a Formula Ford. I did it in April and it snowed! The formula hasn't changed though and it is really good fun.

Would love a go in the JCW, looks awesome! Good write up too. And your not along in stuffing it - my brother lost it at the bottom of the hill and went straight on instead of turning right and stuck the formula ford in the tyres!

Colin
2nd June 2008, 10:00 PM
Sounds like you had a blast. :D

Bet that was a butt clenching moment when you lost it. :yes nod:

AndyP & Lenore
2nd June 2008, 10:02 PM
Sounds like you had a blast. :D

Bet that was a butt clenching moment when you lost it. :yes nod:

If I'm honest, I think a little bit of poo may have leaked out.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Colin
2nd June 2008, 10:07 PM
If I'm honest, I think a little bit of poo may have leaked out.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ewww toooo much info :laugh::laugh:

weefossy
2nd June 2008, 10:28 PM
Andy, glad to hear you are OK. You shouldn't worry about their car, that's all built into their pricing......now if had been your own car:thud:

Sounds like a great day out

Gismo
3rd June 2008, 05:07 AM
Nice write up, canna believe you trashed their car :D :eyes up: :blush:

The Dogfather
3rd June 2008, 06:33 AM

I think Lenore must be the driver in that relationship, best stick to mopeds mate :moonie:

Good write up though!!!

AndyP & Lenore
3rd June 2008, 08:56 AM

I think Lenore must be the driver in that relationship, best stick to mopeds mate :moonie:

Good write up though!!!

Cheers guys.

The photo's are post-crash, so it doesn't look too trashed.:thumbs up: But when you get closer and you see everything that's being held on with cable-tie....:blush::blush:

stoney
3rd June 2008, 03:04 PM
lol andy sounds like a good day i went round in the seat and the single seater a few years a gow and loads where going off

no pics of you in the tyers then ???:p

AndyP & Lenore
3rd June 2008, 03:09 PM
lol andy sounds like a good day i went round in the seat and the single seater a few years a gow and loads where going off

no pics of you in the tyers then ???:p

No. It was round at carlube and Lenore was stood waiting patiently at the Hairpin. Not realising I had buried the front end round the corner.

Crombers
4th June 2008, 08:06 AM
Good post Andy, looks like a braw day out. Still canny believe you stuffed it :rolleyes:

Mini Ecosse
4th June 2008, 01:00 PM
Excellent, great entertaiment for you and for all of us reading about it.:laugh::laugh:

Wish I had been there with the camera:argh:

Stephen

AndyP & Lenore
4th June 2008, 03:35 PM
Excellent, great entertaiment for you and for all of us reading about it.:laugh::laugh:

Wish I had been there with the camera:argh:

Stephen

Wasn't much to photo TBH. I suspect I was doing more of a miss daisy drive than Damon Hill. Although, clearly, there was a Mark Dryden moment.:laugh:

Burple
4th June 2008, 04:13 PM
Sounds like an awesome day out!
Saw that car there the last time I was up that way, and remembered seeing it when it was new.. it looked a lot brighter then... ;)
I've done the Mini-Legend experience.. that wa s ablast too, and in the pi$$ing rain! :eek::D:D

In other news.. I'll be heading thru there tomorrow morning.. top secret mission ;):Whistle:

ELFMAN
4th June 2008, 10:40 PM
Can't wait for the next Movie Run -
"Andyana Poole and the Tyres of Doom"!

Sounds like a great day, and at least you had the guts to give us the FULL story - you'll be regretting that now of course. Anyway, bit tired, so I must....... CRASH. Sorry Andy.

joyce w
4th June 2008, 10:45 PM
Hi Andy, we were karting on Monday and saw your Mini in the paddock but didn't realize you were in the Mini on the track. You looked to be doing ok when we were watching you however we didn,t see the Carlube incident:hand:, hope you had good time ,cheers Derek and Joyce.:thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
4th June 2008, 11:20 PM
Can't wait for the next Movie Run -
"Andyana Poole and the Tyres of Doom"!

Sounds like a great day, and at least you had the guts to give us the FULL story - you'll be regretting that now of course. Anyway, bit tired, so I must....... CRASH. Sorry Andy.

PMSL. Good one Elfman.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

AndyP & Lenore
4th June 2008, 11:22 PM
Hi Andy, we were karting on Monday and saw your Mini in the paddock but didn't realize you were in the Mini on the track. You looked to be doing ok when we were watching you however we didn,t see the Carlube incident:hand:, hope you had good time, cheers Derek and Joyce.:thumbs up:

Cheers guys!

There was another bloke who was in the MINI that evening (I nearly wrecked his chance of getting out in it:blush:), so it may have been him you saw on the track. You should have come and hunted us down and said HI!:yes nod:

mini saltire
4th June 2008, 11:36 PM
"A MARK DRYDEN MOMENT"!!!!! And I thought we were getting on well.....:moonie::moonie::moonie:

Right, a marshall at Carlube (the corner soon to be known as Poole) sent footage of Andrew's crash to me. I paid good money for it, I hope I haven't been done...

yB7fLqAmlzE

Must be really good cable ties, I'm sure I saw a wheel off there..:p:p

AndyP & Lenore
5th June 2008, 12:03 AM
"A MARK DRYDEN MOMENT"!!!!! And I thought we were getting on well.....:moonie::moonie::moonie:

Right, a marshall at Carlube (the corner soon to be known as Poole) sent footage of Andrew's crash to me. I paid good money for it, I hope I haven't been done...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB7fLqAmlzE

Must be really good cable ties, I'm sure I saw a wheel off there..:p:p

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Damn... Didn't realise the camera's were rolling.:thud: Like I say though, I very nearly ruind the car for the next guy waiting to take it out. But those guys at Knockhill put the car back together in double quick time.

Seriously though, that is some MINI-catastrophe. Looks like the guy got out ok though. I bet he felt a bit sore in the morning though.:blush:

Gismo
5th June 2008, 09:56 AM
Must be really good cable ties, I'm sure I saw a wheel off there..:p:pYay, at last, someone else who knows how to insert Youtube movies :thumbs up:
Andy, spectacular stuff :rolleyes:

AndyP & Lenore
5th June 2008, 10:47 AM
Yay, at last, someone else who knows how to insert Youtube movies :thumbs up:
Andy, spectacular stuff :rolleyes:

I changed it for him:blush:. It wasn't embeded, it was just linked to.:blush:

Sorry.:blush:

bry_mini
16th June 2008, 05:38 PM
that other guy was me!! lol

had a great day...with some extra entertainment:smilewinkgrin: lol

i so want to upgrade to a cooper s after that tho....dont think ill b able to part with mine tho lol!