PDA

View Full Version : Slow puncture on run flat?

KenL
23rd May 2008, 09:07 PM
My puncture warning light came on today on the way home from work.

Sure enough, my near side front tyre was down to 26 psi, 6psi less than the others. I went to blow it up at home but my pump is bust :rolleyes:

I plan to blow it up and keep a close eye on the pressure to see how bad it is.

If it really is a slow puncture, what can I do?

Would one of these "tyre weld" products provide a permanent fix?

I obviously want to avoid the extreme pain of buying a new tyre.

Sweeney
23rd May 2008, 09:13 PM
You dont need a new tyre because its punctured lol :rolleyes:

A simple puncture repair will suffice, have you found where and what it is?

KenL
23rd May 2008, 09:24 PM
You dont need a new tyre because its punctured lol :rolleyes:

A simple puncture repair will suffice, have you found where and what it is?

Thanks for laughing at me :p

Many tyre fitters will not fix a runflat.

I may not even have a puncture, it might have been a pupil playing a "trick" on me :D Until I pump it up tomorrow and monitor it, I won't know for sure.

Sweeney
23rd May 2008, 09:29 PM
No worries, anytime :p but i just assumed you were going by the bs *some* dealers and fitters like to feed people.

The tyre can be fixed no bother, runflats arent any different when it comes to repairing etc. All the usual though, if its a nail/screw etc it must be within the obvious guidelines:

http://www.tancotire.com/images/tech_tire_puncture_repair.jpg

The whole notion that they can't be repaired is due to the fact they assume its been driven on when total pressure loss or major pressure loss has occured. Which of course would render the tyre useless given the stress it would have been under.

If you struggle to find someone willing (some just dont like dealing with rf's at all), i can give you a few numbers of companies who will :thumbs up:

KenL
23rd May 2008, 09:39 PM
Thanks Sweeney :smilewinkgrin:

When I got my MINI with Goodyear Excellence runflats, I phoned their technical department.

He told me that they would not say it was OK to repair these "if" the owner had a BMW or MINI as that is they (BMW) have decided should be the case.

He also told me it was actually OK to fix them as you suggest. These tyres are also fitted to some Vauxhall cars and if a tyre fitter phones for advice, they say go ahead for Vauxhall owners.

Sweeney
23rd May 2008, 09:44 PM
Surprised he didn't mention that BMW suggest you purchase the tyres through them as well ;)

So long as it hasnt been ran on whilst having little to no pressure its fine to repair :smilewinkgrin:.

Scottie
23rd May 2008, 09:49 PM
I went to blow it up at home but my pump is bust :rolleyes:

Kenl I would have thought since your full of hot air you could have just put your lips to the tyre valve and blow it up.:moonie:
:hand:

I'M KIDDING before you get on your high horse.:p:p;)

Craig
23rd May 2008, 09:55 PM
I have had run flats repaired before and not had any problems. :smilewinkgrin:

I also have a few places that will repair run flats... and have the right machinery to take them off/on of the rims correctly. :thumbs up:

Sweeney
23rd May 2008, 09:58 PM
Just the same machinery as anywhere else & for "normal" tyres craig :p unless they are still in the dark ages! :thumbs up:

Craig
23rd May 2008, 10:00 PM
not exactly young man... they have "arms" attached which help to get the run flats on... ;)

Sweeney
23rd May 2008, 10:02 PM
Must be some still in dark ages up your neck of the woods then :p

ianking
23rd May 2008, 10:39 PM
Ken

Hays, Angle Park garage tyre centre in Penicuik are happy to repair run flats with punctures as long as they have not been run flat. They have done 2 for me over the years. Think it is about £12 per repair.
Its the place at the BP petrol station in Penicuik. Not too far for you I think.

james@
24th May 2008, 12:04 AM
Ken

Hays, Angle Park garage tyre centre in Penicuik are happy to repair run flats with punctures as long as they have not been run flat. They have done 2 for me over the years. Think it is about £12 per repair.
Its the place at the BP petrol station in Penicuik. Not too far for you I think.

another vote for them here was very impressed when i took the other car in for a repair, guys there know what there doing.

The Dogfather
24th May 2008, 12:34 AM
So if you get a puncture and drive on it the tyre is knackered? I think I'll ring MINI assistance to get me to a garage and then get it repaired!!!!

KenL
24th May 2008, 07:43 PM
Ken

Thanks for that :thumbs up:

Pumped it up today. Will keep a close eye on it. If it needs repaired, I'll take a trip to Penicuik. The tyre has plenty life left in it yet.

KenL
24th May 2008, 07:44 PM
Kenl I would have thought since your full of hot air you could have just put your lips to the tyre valve and blow it up.

Right enough, maybe give it a try instead of mouthing off on here ;bigwave::D:smilewinkgrin: