PDA

View Full Version : Menzies

Goldminione
20th May 2008, 06:31 PM
Have to say here about the poor price Menzies offered me for my MINI ONE. GOld 55 plate, guy even admitted it was a nice car, 16,000 miles, pepper pack, air con, spot lights, 15 inch alloys. 7,500 and when i said i wanted at least 8,500 for it he said no i said you'd probably sell it for 10,495.

When I Came home I looked at their website and they have one lower speced than mine 2005 05 plate 32,000 miles only has a salt pack on it. 9,950.

Have to say I won't be buying another mini.

Alan

The Dogfather
20th May 2008, 06:53 PM
Have to say here about the poor price Menzies offered me for my MINI ONE. GOld 55 plate, guy even admitted it was a nice car, 16,000 miles, pepper pack, air con, spot lights, 15 inch alloys. 7,500 and when i said i wanted at least 8,500 for it he said no i said you'd probably sell it for 10,495.

When I Came home I looked at their website and they have one lower speced than mine 2005 05 plate 32,000 miles only has a salt pack on it. 9,950.

Alan

Try another MINI dealership, you can even get a price for your car over the phone. I got a decent trade in price on my MX5 with a garage in Preston, they just didn't have the car I wanted. Craig bought his car from the same garage.

Often they'll give you a really good price first time no haggling as they know you won't come back when you put the phone down. I'd also recommend Cooper MINI in Sunderland.

BTW the mark up on cars is usually £2k, or so I was lead to believe.

AndyP & Lenore
20th May 2008, 06:56 PM

Alan

Alan, do you mean... at all. Or .........from Menzies?

'Cos it would be a shame to fall out with MINI's over a price disagreement with one dealer.:blush:

Like Mr Chump say's.. shop around.;)

A.

Goldminione
20th May 2008, 06:59 PM
to be honest I can't say I've had good service from any MINI Dealer with teh exception of Phoenix who were really good thats who I bought the car from. I always thought I would go back there but i was at menzies today to get a leak from my coolant sorted it was the thermastat as thats my local dealer so thought would check the price because i liked a silver cooper they had.

Alan

The Dogfather
20th May 2008, 07:14 PM
Craig, has said a few times you get a better deal south of the border. I don't think he's far wrong. Mind you there's always JC in Dundee, keep shopping round.

You may find a better deal away from MINI but when residuals come into it you may find you're much more out of pocket.

Goldminione
20th May 2008, 07:18 PM
THey don't haggle. They don't seem to care whether you take the car or not where as at dealers like ford they try and offer you something.

Especially when your with my dad who bought a car from a ford dealer for my mum and went with my brother and the guy offered him it no messing for the price he paid for it.

Alan

SimonS
20th May 2008, 07:47 PM
When I was looking to px my Rx8 for a mini I got offers ranging from £10k to £13.5k. It is well worth looking around.

Craig
20th May 2008, 08:00 PM
As PC has said, I got a MUCH better deal down south. Don't ask me why, I don't know, but I can say it was a hassle free deal. If you want the guys details, let me know (PM me).

Why not try Mark at Saltire Vehicles. He deals with lots of dealers and you never know could source the car you want and hammer out the best deal without you having to lift a finger. Afterall, that's what he is there for. ;) I don't think he will disagree with me on this... I contacted him when my mum and dad were looking at changing and he beat the deal from a main dealer by over £2.5k. WELL worth the phone call/email. :smilewinkgrin:

hope you stay in the MINI family, not all dealers are the same... :thumbs up:

gauldrymini
20th May 2008, 08:05 PM
Try JC Dundee a guy named Stuart Ogg... he is a school pal of mine you could "name drop" me (Andrew Mudie), it might help...;)

He was going to give us a good trade in price on our GTI for a 06 Park Lane but deal didn't go ahead as Sharon wants to keep the GTI...

Andrew

Goldminione
20th May 2008, 08:16 PM
Cheers guys but I think I'm gonna hold out for a better car maybe a MINI maybe not.

Alan

illegalhunter
20th May 2008, 09:01 PM
Thats feckin terrible , i hope you told him.

Goldminione
20th May 2008, 09:50 PM
i told him i said 8,500 wid be a bit more reasonable first thing i said to him was cya later he said no chance i said theirs 55 plates going for 10495 and i bet they wid have tried to sell it at that price i wid have been robbed.

JCWmini
20th May 2008, 11:16 PM
The second hand market right now is shocking, no one really is wanting to buy cars, dealers or private.

Its funny with minis that when you sell the dealers say the spec means nothing but when you buy the price reflects the spec.

Local dealer had a CooperD and wanted £16k for it year old. I pointed out i can get a new one for £14.5k. Dealer then went on to say "ah but look at the spec" to which i replied well my car was £26k new. All he could do was to give me that stupid second had car dealler robbin bull5hiter grin.

Why people (including myself) pay over the odds for cars with loads of toys that have no second hand value is beyond me.

For me it wont happen again.

I may look at a CooperD but it will have NO options on it.

KenL
21st May 2008, 07:24 PM
Why people (including myself) pay over the odds for cars with loads of toys that have no second hand value is beyond me.

A very good point :thumbs up: