PDA

View Full Version : How much do you get for a tank?

AberdeenMini
16th March 2004, 07:00 PM
I have only owned my Mini Cooper for a few months now and i have to say i am quite surprised at how poor the fuel consumption is, saying that i dont know what the norm is! How much do you guys get for a full tank and after how much miles does your warning light come on? My warning light comes on about 220, and i fill up at about 250.

Wul
16th March 2004, 07:14 PM
That sounds a bit low! When I had my coop i got an average of 300 miles till the red light came on - this was a mix of traffic jam driving and dual carriageway blasting! Was possible to get 350+ if going on a m/way run and not pushing it over 70!

Are you still running the car in? your consumption will improve over time in a new car as all the parts bed in!

KenL
16th March 2004, 07:29 PM
In my ONE I get about 310-320miles when the light comes on with mixed town/mway driving. So unless you are driving like a nutter all the time or always stuck in traffic that doesn't sound good.

The light comes on when you have 8litres left so that means you've used 42litres assuming you brim it between fills. In mpg terms that is only ~24mpg.

What you getting with your S Wul

Wul
16th March 2004, 07:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by KenL

At the first fill up the range on the obc was quoting me 305ish!

It's heading for about the 280 mark before the light is gonna come on - will let you know when it happens - but not too concerened at the mo as we are still at the early run-in stage - the av mpg is telling me about 29mpg at present.

KenL
16th March 2004, 07:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

quote:Originally posted by KenL

At the first fill up the range on the obc was quoting me 305ish!

It's heading for about the 280 mark before the light is gonna come on - will let you know when it happens - but not too concerened at the mo as we are still at the early run-in stage - the av mpg is telling me about 29mpg at present.

That sounds pretty good Wul - no doubt it will plummet when you get past 1250 miles.

Wul
16th March 2004, 08:21 PM
You betcha!:D

seany
16th March 2004, 09:59 PM
about 300for the cooper and 250 for jcw cooper s

AberdeenMini
16th March 2004, 09:59 PM
Are you still running the car in? your consumption will improve over time in a new car as all the parts bed in!

No the car is just over 2 years old and hasn't had a service for over a year

Wul
16th March 2004, 10:16 PM
Hmmm - you're on sticky ground now i'm afraid!

The MINI warranty is for 3 years but the last year is conditional that the car is serviced at the recommended intervals BY A MINI DEALER. So if you've done loads of miles and not had it serviced you might not be able to get the fuel consumption problem looked at under the warranty - you may need to cough up for it! :eek:

It does sound low unless you are hammering the car all the time! Perhaps you could brass neck it at the dealers and try and get them to look at it for free!

Duncan Stewart
16th March 2004, 10:38 PM
I get around 300 out of a tank driving twisty country roads to & from work. bit less if driving hard, bit more if taking it easy. Long journeys not much different unless I stick to 50-60mph where it can do 350 on a tank.

KenL
16th March 2004, 11:02 PM

Hmmm - you're on sticky ground now i'm afraid!

The MINI warranty is for 3 years but the last year is conditional that the car is serviced at the recommended intervals BY A MINI DEALER. So if you've done loads of miles and not had it serviced you might not be able to get the fuel consumption problem looked at under the warranty - you may need to cough up for it! :eek:

Not necessarily true Wul ;)

The car could well be covered by TLC and there is no requirement to have the car serviced wvery year. In fact MINI will not service the car until the mileage thingy says so. So more than a year is not outwith the servicing terms and conds.

Linda M
16th March 2004, 11:08 PM
I haven't a clue I just keep filling it up :clown::D

Mini Martyn
16th March 2004, 11:41 PM
I get about 250ish a week about 300 ish if on the motorway all day. (cooperS) :evil:

Scheckter MC
17th March 2004, 02:44 AM
I was getting about 280 from a full tank in my old Cooper before I was on fumes again. That was pretty much just in Aberdeen city, with little or no out of town fun.

Definitely getting less with the new S, although the OBC was offering a pleasing value when heading down the A90 to Ed last weekend.

euan
17th March 2004, 02:46 AM
I get 250 at best from my S. I thought it was bad, but if everybody elses is similar, it can't be all that bad. The Cooper was nearer 300, on a good day with a tail wind :)

Julz
17th March 2004, 05:41 AM
My goodness, you all need a decent conversion!! I get about 310ish for a full tank, and that's with thrashing the pants off BabyB and travelling the length and breadth of the Kingsway (62514589 roundabouts!!) twice a day, every bloomin' day!! Guy at work gets about 250 a tank, but most of his mileage is only short distances and the poor wee mini doesn't get to warm up!!:eek::D

monkimagic
17th March 2004, 08:51 AM
all sounds about right, seems the MINI is good on consumption, given the Spec of the cooper or S, its a fast car, fast engine,

Monki

euan
22nd March 2004, 10:57 PM
OK, my fuel bill is quite big and I think I've worked out why.

The car had been sitting for a week while I was waiting for my permit to come through and I got in it at the weekend for the first time. It smelt a bit funny but thought nothing of it. Then checked the fuel gauge - it read 1/4 full and the trip only had 134 miles on it! So, it's booked in as I think i have a small fuel leak. Will let you know, but would not take my consumption as too good right now.

bloocoop
25th March 2004, 05:03 AM
I get 24 to 29 mpg from my Cooper S depending on whether the old lead boots are on or not, only ever got 30mpg when running in! Mostly 30 minute journeys on fast country roads. Light comes on between 200 and 230 miles - thirsty boy:eek:!

Richard

ELFMAN
25th March 2004, 05:28 PM
I calculated I got around 30+ MPG from the S on the St. Andrews Run, and that was back roads, Dual Carriageway and an 80MPH+ run back down the M/way.

On a good long run with mixed driving (including a few blasts) eg Lanarkshire to Mull, I used to get around 40MPG from the Cooper. Round town it was very low 30's if I was lucky.

Julz has it made I reckon - lucky Grrrrrllll! But not if she goes to bits of the Highlands where there's no High Octane stuff eh?

ELFMAN
25th March 2004, 05:33 PM
I should add that the St A.'s backroad stuff was very gentle and I was running the car in and using 4,500RPM max. on the day.

Now that I'm about to use it properly, I'll probably get about 9MPG.... I've read the OVERALL AVERAGE for an S is supposed to be around 33MPG.

Figures still stand for the my Cooper though.

Burple
31st March 2004, 09:12 AM
Hoooooolllyyyyy Shhheeeeeeeeettt!!!

On my way daan sarf last week, I filled up at Bullionfield BP (Dundee)...
And made it right down to Donnington Services on a full tank.
Granted, it was below the Quarter mark, but I reckon I had a good 10 -15 miles left before the red light came on...
A grand total of 352 miles on the trip meter!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Most of that was about 70 - 75, with a few bits slower, and a couple of thrashy moments (Ford Focus?? Sucker!!!!! ;):D:blackeye:)
Quite impressed with that, ta!!! :D:D:D

Willie M
31st March 2004, 04:27 PM
Drove down to Scarborough and back at the weekend. Drove in 'sensible mode'. Fair bit of Motorway cruising with a bit of fun thrown in on the twisty roads between Thirsk & Scarby :cool:

Returned an astonishing, wait for it..... 35.7mpg :eek: according to the trip computer. Travelled just under 600 miles all in. I'm well chuffed by the way :approve:

gcampbell
20th April 2004, 04:18 PM
My consumption varies quite a bit....

Around town usually about 250...(to and from work) but if any motorway or country driving is involved then usually sneeks past 300..