PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Panel Filters for R56

gauldrymini
19th May 2008, 11:01 PM
After extensive research...:popcorn: it appears there are 3 currently available for the R56 Cooper.

1. ITG (£63)
2. K&N (from Minimania - £50)
3. Minimania's own brand (released this week apparently-£40)

Does anyone have any opinions on these brands?? What is likely to be the best one???

Andrew

Burple
20th May 2008, 10:20 AM
From past experience, you can't go wrong with K&N...
Is the ITG one a foam one the K&N may be a bit more durable..

:D

gauldrymini
20th May 2008, 12:19 PM
ITG one is foam (pre oiled) and K&N (cotton gauze mix??)

I think Minimaina is foam as well not sure it its pre oiled but assume it would be:confused:

I think the ITG is meant to be the best fit due to its shape as it has a hoop / loop type thang at one end, not sure about the K&N one, but i have heard more about that make.

Andrew:D

AeroJonny
20th May 2008, 01:02 PM
M7 may have a cooper filter, they certainly do for the s

james@
20th May 2008, 03:01 PM
not for the R56 yet although im told stuff is coming, i havent tried ITG yet but a lot of R56 owners rate them very well for the pannel filters

KenL
20th May 2008, 10:22 PM
Why do you want one? What do you expect it will do for the car?

Scottie
20th May 2008, 10:29 PM
ITG get a very good name among the Land Rover Community. The only filter to have for the D3:thumbs up:

james@
21st May 2008, 10:23 AM

foam and cotton panel filters (usually) improve the way the engine breathes and when coupled with a better manifold, high flow cat, and motec or emerald ECU improve fuel economy (not to mention making it sound much much better).

the difference between a new stock filter and new panel is not much 2-3 bhp but the filters life is much longer due to the construction of the element , paper need replaced every 6k miles to remain effective while a foam or cotton can be cleaned and used again and again. you only have to look at why most high spec cars come with cotton or foam in the first place.

gauldrymini
21st May 2008, 12:35 PM

I will let you know what it does IF i get one...

As James (FOM)^^^ says it should be re usable and help the car "breathe" better but i would not expect big power gains...maybe a bit better economy...

MINI2 guys seem to like it (jamesbeaumont??)

Craig
21st May 2008, 03:53 PM

thats the same guy as the james from FOM... :smilewinkgrin:

Burple
21st May 2008, 04:16 PM

Lol.. I kinda had a sneaky suspicion it might be ;)
Awright ya dobber! You're not the only one changing yer name :p:p:p:D

gauldrymini
21st May 2008, 04:25 PM

Ooops...well you learn something each day...;)

Andrew

james@
21st May 2008, 04:54 PM

:hand: actually my mini2 username is JWF.

Craig
21st May 2008, 04:59 PM
See I AM wrong from time to time... ;)

james@
21st May 2008, 05:15 PM
I will let you know what it does IF i get one...

As James (FOM)^^^ says it should be re usable and help the car "breathe" better but i would not expect big power gains...maybe a bit better economy...

not me im a K&N man much prefer the roar of a the cotton gauze to the foam :cool:

KenL
21st May 2008, 07:27 PM
I distinctly remember a rolling road day reported on MINI2 about 5 years ago where several ONEs were present.

The ones with panel filters were no more powerful and at least one had power less than standard cars.

That is why I am so sceptical.

james@
22nd May 2008, 12:33 AM
its 99% about the fact that the filter lasts longer, and needs cleaning far less and replacing every few years rather than 6 months. I agree with ken on the RR factor i dont trust dynos there only relay ment for mapping not true power out put. for me its all about the noise the stock car sounds ok in my books, but with a decent induction and exhuast sounds much better.

Even tire perssure and age infuence the result (EVO magazine did a test with a Ferrari 599 on used tires then banged on a set of brand new tires and the differnce was 50bhp) as i said dynos are meant for mapping and setting up a car not 'pub bhp output' i mean my cooper made 130 on the rollers as stock with a 2 year old paper filter the chap before me with the induction, exhaust etc made the same. when he asked the dyno tester - some engines are better than others.

AndyP & Lenore
22nd May 2008, 12:37 AM
Even tire perssure and age infuence the result (EVO magazine did a test with a Ferrari 599 on used tires then banged on a set of brand new tires and the differnce was 50bhp)

At the tyres perhaps, but surely not if they dyno'd the flywheel.:confused:

A.

james@
22nd May 2008, 12:42 AM
At the tyres perhaps, but surely not if they dyno'd the flywheel.:confused:

A.

on a rolling road yes as you factor in all drive train loss, so making sure all is well before is vital (its all well and good having 500 (which should be 470 ish at the flywheel) bhp but if the RR shows a 50bhp loss along the drive train (say rolls at 420) you look and see if its a worn part, as the usual loss is around 12% (as a relay rough gestimate)

We all know some cars never make thier quoted bhp (usually the old K series powered lotu's which relay needed an emerald ecu properly mapped)

To get true engine output you need to run the engine on an engine dyno (which isnt relay a practical thing for most people) you can dyno sans tires straight from the hubs these days which is more accurate, but not many places have this setup.