PDA

View Full Version : JCW Challenge Car

ianking
8th May 2008, 02:00 PM
Does anyone know when this car will be at the dealers for a test drive and when we will find out what spec if comes with. Seems to be that price is £20500.
From reading the challenge site on the web it seems as though it comes with anthracite roof, hi fi upgrade and air con although the mini USA site doesnt mention air con.
No mention of Xenons or multi function wheel.

I do fancy one providing it doesnt start making the 'D' noise.

james@
8th May 2008, 02:08 PM
Ian, from what i was told buy the dealer it comes with the usual jcw uprated parts - custom body kit, brakes (4 pot kit this time), suspension, anti roll bars, same engine as the jcw challenge racer and exhaust and manifold etc along with new 17' wheels designed by BBS. the rest of the car can be specced as much or as little as you like

the works challenge car is the one the dealers sell for use in the john cooper works challenge and not road legal (as it is sold with slick tyres)

james

Scottie
8th May 2008, 02:17 PM
Does anyone know when this car will be at the dealers for a test drive and when we will find out what spec if comes with. Seems to be that price is £20500.
From reading the challenge site on the web it seems as though it comes with anthracite roof, hi fi upgrade and air con although the mini USA site doesnt mention air con.

link to website/??:smilewinkgrin:

AeroJonny
8th May 2008, 02:20 PM
link to website/??:smilewinkgrin:

uh-oh ;)

Scottie
8th May 2008, 02:33 PM
uh-oh ;)

no i mean where is the link to the website for the challenge cars.:hand:

ianking
8th May 2008, 02:37 PM
http://www.mini.com/com/en/model_overview_john_cooper_works/index.jsp (http://www.mini.com/com/en/model_overview_john_cooper_works/index.jsp)

stoney
8th May 2008, 09:33 PM

ian i know they will be in the dealers for a test drive july it is geting its uk lauanch at the london motor show and if you phone the dealer they now have spec sheets for it i was told it all but can not mind it all i know it def had air con and whats above :thumbs up:

Neil and Lorna
9th May 2008, 09:58 AM
Ian

Pics here of both JCW factory cars.
Doubt it if the challenge car will have air con or a HiFi never mind the upgrade.

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13909&highlight=geneva

Neil.:smilewinkgrin:

stoney
10th May 2008, 03:20 PM
Ian

Pics here of both JCW factory cars.
Doubt it if the challenge car will have air con or a HiFi never mind the upgrade.

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13909&highlight=geneva

it dose have both as i said the dealer has spec sheets on it and has run thro it with me :moonie: and def got a/c and a hi-fi upgrade :thumbs up:

as i said phone the dealer and they should tell you as the chilli pack is a/c and 17" wheels so not to shure what they are going to do with that :confused:

AndyP & Lenore
10th May 2008, 03:29 PM
I think there's confusion here on what the challenge car, and whats the JCW factory car.

I think Ian is asking about the JCW Factory Car, what spec it will have, ordering dates, colours etc.

The Challenge car is a race prepared vehicle, not permitted on UK roads. I don't think it even has carpet, never mind air con. Might be wrong, but that's what I suspect.

The Challenge car is not something anyone here (aside from maybe John, Mark Dryden or Andrew Winchester) would even look at.

If I'm wrong, someone tell me so.:blush:

A.:D

MINI William
10th May 2008, 05:14 PM
i thought the factory car was called the "Challenge" but i have been wrong once before:smilewinkgrin:

james@
10th May 2008, 05:35 PM
I think there's confusion here on what the challenge car, and whats the JCW factory car.

I think Ian is asking about the JCW Factory Car, what spec it will have, ordering dates, colours etc.

The Challenge car is a race prepared vehicle, not permitted on UK roads. I don't think it even has carpet, never mind air con. Might be wrong, but that's what I suspect.

The Challenge car is not something anyone here (aside from maybe John, Mark Dryden or Andrew Winchester) would even look at.

If I'm wrong, someone tell me so.:blush:

nope bang right the factory car is like say the clio cup as in its not an upgrade its a stand alone model that can be otherwise specced as you like

and the challenge car is as andy says and out and out race car its spec has the same engine as the factory works car thow but the rest is diff (kw 3 way race suspension, AP racing BBK with race spec ABS, adjustable aerodynamic front and rear spoilers and slick tyres, it also costs 41K + tax and cant be bought form a dealer anyway as its not built buy mini its built by bmw m power.

it is however possible to make it road legal (although its not worth it relay) as you would have to change the tyres (slicks) the brakes, unless you fancy re building the calipers every month as they are race spec and have no dust seals, and the pads are not road legal either, swap the suspension for normal kw 3 way as the race spec it's not illegal just not any good on the road.

Neil and Lorna
10th May 2008, 06:05 PM
To avoid any confusion over the specs of the new JCW cars, interior pictures of both.

JCW Challenge Car. Not road legal, no air con or Hifi.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/neilp18/Geneva%20Motor%20Show/042.jpg

Factory JCW road legal, spec it as you wish.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/neilp18/Geneva%20Motor%20Show/013.jpg

ianking
11th May 2008, 09:52 AM
Yes it was the JCW factory car I was after. I realise now the Challenge car is the track car.

So anyone got any more details on the JCW car?

N12 JLK
11th May 2008, 10:03 AM
Go on and get one ordered. you know you want to:cool:

weefossy
11th May 2008, 10:26 PM
Was advised on Saturday that demo JCW factory cars will be available to test in July. Really bad news for us is that the JCW factory Clubman has been put back until March 2009. Likewise the JCW conversion for our Clubman S and the side skirts have also been put back until March 2009.

They won't even let you convert the engine (R55 & R56 conversion kits are the same) and add your own exhaust. Something to do with homologization and omissions".
A real bummer:moonie:

Will probably decide what to do after we have seen the JCW hatch. Although I don't think Sioban is keen to change the Van.

Craig
11th May 2008, 10:31 PM
thats not good at all.. why does it take nearly 2 and a half years to make a JCW factory car after they released the standard car.. :confused: :confused:

don't understand that at all... :eyes up:

james@
12th May 2008, 12:38 AM
testing and lots of it the ammount of test work done for the jcw kit is near enough what they do for the normal car as they usulay begin the devlopment of the works parts as soon as the normal car is done, its why it took so long for the s works to appear last time and its why stuff like the clio cup has only just appeard too for the 192. this is why i always go after market can be arsed to wait

Burple
12th May 2008, 09:44 AM
They won't even let you convert the engine (R55 & R56 conversion kits are the same) and add your own exhaust. Something to do with homologization and omissions".
A real bummer:moonie:

More likely cos any aftermarket items will totally embarrass them by *NOT* falling apart after 3 months.. ;);):D

ianking
14th May 2008, 08:33 AM
I got this email from MINI about the car. :D
According to this info it comes with the aero kit. :D

As announced in Cape Town in February, we are delighted to confirm details of the launch of the new MINI John Cooper Works models as follows:
Nomenclature:
The naming of the new John Cooper Works models are as follows:
Hatch - MINI John Cooper Works
Clubman - MINI John Cooper Works Clubman

MINI John Cooper Works Launch Date:
The launch of the MINI John Cooper Works is set for Tuesday 22 July 2008 to coincide with Press Day at the British International Motorshow at ExCel London.
MINI John Cooper Works Clubman Launch Date:
The UK launch of the R55 John Cooper Works Clubman will take place later, in 2009 (current planning date is 03/09 but this is yet to be confirmed). The delay in launching this model in the UK is due to the non-availability of the R55 JCW aerokit, which is part of the standard specification for all UK MINI John Cooper Works Clubman models. We are working with Munich to bring this model to market as soon as possible.
MINI John Cooper Works - Standard Specification:
Non-metallic PaintworkATE1 -
Black Cloth Chequered
John Cooper Works Aerodynamic Kit (Accessory Version)325 - Rear Roof Spoiler (Same as Cooper S)
17" Cross Spoke Challenge Light Alloy Wheels with Run-flat tyres210 -
Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)5DT -
Dynamic Traction Control (DTC)302 -
Alarm System481 -
Sports Seats (Same as Cooper S)4AA -
Anthracite Headlining4AU -
Additional Decor Rings4BD - I
nterior Trim Piano Black4UF -
Sport Button530 -
Manual Air Conditioning5DA -
Front Passenger Air Bag De-activation5DD -
Car Jack694 -
CD Prep6FC - Radio Boost with Single CD736 -
2nd Remote Key785 -
White Indicators

Transmission Availability:
All John Cooper Works models will be available in manual transmission only.

ELFMAN
16th May 2008, 01:07 PM
I was reading/drooling about the 'factory' JCW S in 'Evo' mag a couple of months back. If I could stand to lose the soundtrack from my current car and got a decent trade-in, (and could get over the fact I'm very attached to the wee thing) I'd be sorely tempted. Problem is, looks like I'd have to find at least £9K to do it...... Just think what I could do to my car with HALF that amount.....more bits for the Engine, Big Brakes and 17's with non-runflats, Coil-Overs, bit of a stone-chip respray to get it back to 'showroom' standard hmm. Then I'd get 12mpg as opposed to 24 - but it would be the b*ll*cks!

Seriously though, reading about the new JCW, I reckon it'll be the business (providing it doesn't come with the full complement of 'teething troubles') - they've even got around to putting decent 4-pot brakes on it from the start! Evo drove a new Challenge car (same engine) at Silverstone and it was VERY rapid. They also said the road car sounded brilliant just moving around the studio for the photo-shoot, thanks to the new manifolding and exhaust system......

I do fancy one though - it's the only thing that would get me out of my R53. Pity things like the Recaros are an option, which is just pathetic on a £20+K motor - more speed seems to still come with more greed. I don't need poncey stuff like aircon etc etc in a performance car, but decent seats should come as standard. Still, I reckon my JCW chairs would fit straight in, so that's that sorted! I'd better NOT get a test drive...

james@
16th May 2008, 03:00 PM
asfasik your seats should just bolt in ive seen a few R53's with R56 works seats in if theres any issues a uni subfarme mount from sparco (who make the old works seats) costs about 40 quid a side from demon tweeks

AndyP & Lenore
16th May 2008, 03:35 PM
Transmission Availability:
All John Cooper Works models will be available in manual transmission only.

Hmmmmm...

The old guys who gave the factory tour seemed to think that may not be the case. When we asked about an Auto tranny, they both looked at each other, grinned and said "watch this space." They said that they were giving a tour a few weeks prior and some R & D bods turned up at the engine fitment section, asked them all to move away and they were working on a JCW factory car then. The impression I got from them was that they thought it was being fitted for an auto tranny.;)

Hope so.:blush:

Scottie
16th May 2008, 03:36 PM
Hmmmmm...

The old guys who gave the factory tour seemed to think that may not be the case. When we asked about an Auto tranny, they both looked at each other, grinned and said "watch this space." They said that they were giving a tour a few weeks prior and some R & D bods turned up at the engine fitment section, asked them all to move away and they were working on a JCW factory car then. The impression I got from them was that they thought it was being fitted for an auto tranny.;)

Hope so.:blush:

Pulling your leg me thinks.:hand:

ianking
16th May 2008, 03:56 PM
Well the e-mail from mini uk satates manual only.
The GP only came as a manual for all countries.

The Dogfather
16th May 2008, 04:06 PM
I can't see them making a moped version of the JCW, but stranger things have happened.

Mini Ecosse
16th May 2008, 04:41 PM
I can't see them making a moped version of the JCW, but stranger things have happened.

:D:D:D:hand::thumbs up:
Stephen

weefossy
17th May 2008, 03:50 PM
I would have thought the American market would demand an auto version:yes nod:

It really is a wait and see until the end of july :yawn: and a total pain that the body kit is holding up the JCW Clubman:ragin:It's the engine and brakes we want. I can live without body kit and skirts. Never liked the rear bumper on the old aero kit anyway.:smilewinkgrin: I think we have everything inside that we want anyway.

ELFMAN
19th May 2008, 08:44 AM
Andy - I think the 'Auto Tranny' version is for the Thailand market only.... I hear it comes with Twin Airbags AND a Carbon Gear Knob.

Bumble
19th May 2008, 07:43 PM
Andy - I think the 'Auto Tranny' version is for the Thailand market only.... I hear it comes with Twin Airbags AND a Carbon Gear Knob.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

ianking
20th May 2008, 09:20 AM
Just found some info from mini 2

Seems the O.T.R price is £20995 for hatch available in White, Red, Black or Dark Silver.

Because option 530 Manual Air Conditioning is part of the standard equipment for the MINI John Cooper Works model, the CHILI Pack content for MINI John Cooper Works will now be:

FK - Cloth/Leather Ray Upholstery
226 - Sports Suspension (must be specified)
420 - Darkened Rear Glass
423 - Floor Mats
450 - Passenger Seat Height Adjustment
493 - Storage Compartment Package
520 - Front Fog Lights
522 - Bi-Xenon Lights
534 - Automatic Air Conditioning
550 - On-Board Computer
563 - Interior Lights Package
6ND - Basic Bluetooth with USB

CHILI Pack price: £1,650

- Metallic Paint - £280
- Chili Pack - £1650 (see earlier posts for contents)
- Exterior Mirror Pack (Heated mirrors/washer jets and electric fold mirrors) - £170
- Visibility Pack (Auto dim rear view, rain sensor, auto lights on) - £220
- MFSW - £170
- Navigation - £1500 (or £1325 with chili pack)
- HiFi Speakers - £325
- Panoramic sunroof - £680
- Heated Seats - £205
- Half Leather - £450 (free with chili)
- Punch Leather - £1000 (£550 w/chili)
- Leather Gravity - £1040 (£590 w/chili)
- Leather Lounge - £1255 (£805 w/chili)
- Colour Line - £90
- Full Bluetooth (inc MFSW, centre armrest, sport wheel) - £585 (£290 with chili)
- 6 Disc CD - £295
- DAB tuner - £285
- TV for Nav - £715
- Voice Control - £205
- Comfort access system (don't have to put key in) - £360
- Chrome line exterior - £85
- Bonnet Stripes - £60

For me it would just be the car in white all over with Chili pack, full bluetooth and exterior mirror pack plus TLC.
That will come in at £23255.

Looks like a 6 month old 130 M Sport at £21k is an attractive option.

The Dogfather
20th May 2008, 09:36 AM
Well apart from the fact that any 1 series looks unattractive full stop IMO

ianking
20th May 2008, 10:06 AM
Well apart from the fact that any 1 series looks unattractive full stop IMO

But thats just your opinion. I think the 5 door with Xenon lights and the M sport 18 inch wheels looks the dogs bits. But then thats just my opinion.

The Dogfather
20th May 2008, 11:08 AM
Stay with MINI, you'll regret it, I know I did.

Plus, the depreciation on the MINI will be less so will fuel and tax. They might not be important but they do help.

MINI William
20th May 2008, 12:12 PM
I would go for the 1 series

ELFMAN
20th May 2008, 12:59 PM
Amazing how the price stacks up on the JCW when you add a few bits... It wouldn't be TOO hard to end up in new 350Z territory would it? Hmmmmmm.

I thought it was £20,500.00 for the 'basic' price. I'd go for the basic spec and add Xenons, Ext. Mirror pack, Chromeline Exterior and whack in my Works Seats. Also there's an 'Extreme' Suspension option which stiffens everything up even further and lowers it by 10mm (don't know how that compares with my 'old Works' set-up, might be too stiff for our crappy roads), and you can specify Drilled Discs if you like - but I don't have prices on these. I'm sure I'd love it if I drove it, but you can still get your thrills in a 'lesser' MINI for a lot less cash and I'm sure you could tweak a new/nearly new R56 S for a couple of grand or so and have a really great motor. You pays your money.........

N12 JLK
20th May 2008, 08:10 PM
think that a cooper D may be a good option next. £50 per year road tax:thumbs up:

SimonS
20th May 2008, 08:14 PM
It's not even that much!

Cooper D is currently £35 and goes down to £20 next year.

Scottie
20th May 2008, 08:49 PM
But thats just your opinion. I think the 5 door with Xenon lights and the M sport 18 inch wheels looks the dogs bits. But then thats just my opinion.

a 1'er is a tidy motor:thumbs up: If it's what you fancy then why not. You like to change your motors often I can relate to that. (May have another on the way;)) so I say why not once you get fed up with it you can always return to a mini maybe the face lift model with some of the problems sorted.

illegalhunter
20th May 2008, 09:08 PM
Stay with MINI, you'll regret it, I know I did.

Plus, the depreciation on the MINI will be less so will fuel and tax. They might not be important but they do help. Minis drop like a stone i lost 4k in 4 months

The Dogfather
20th May 2008, 10:02 PM
Minis drop like a stone i lost 4k in 4 months
Depreciation index MINI Cooper S vs Type R vs Golf GTI (http://www.whatcar.com/depreciation-index.aspx?MA=65&MV=25620&ED_ADD=54469&RT=0&ED=51599&ED2=46603&ED3=0&ED4=0)

I think you're in for a shock when you trade in the Civic, I think they must have seen you coming if you lost £4k.

You can add in the 1 series as well if you wish, the amount of money lost in the first year on one of those is scary.

Craig
20th May 2008, 10:05 PM
sorry Paul, I have to agree with Deerslayer, I lost over 4.5K in 5 months... :ragin::ragin:

MINI wanted NOTHING to do with it... (don't worry, not going to open old wounds... ;))

The Dogfather
20th May 2008, 10:14 PM
sorry Paul, I have to agree with Deerslayer, I lost over 4.5K in 5 months... :ragin::ragin:

MINI wanted NOTHING to do with it... (don't worry, not going to open old wounds... ;))

Actually it might be the fact that both of your cars were so new and they classed they as 1 year old when trading in, the point I was making is that other cars would have been worse. Our civic was suddenly worth £4k less in 3 months (it wasn't but the dealer said it was ;) ).

Remember if you add extras most are worthless when trading in.

ELFMAN
27th May 2008, 01:30 PM
Re. Depreciation: ANY car will lose a large chunk of 'Cost' as soon as you drive it out of the showroom - agree with it or not, it's a bullet you just have to bite when you buy brand new whether it's a MINI or a Maserati.

As far as I can tell, the MINI is still one of the best cars for holding its value, or all of the car mags and motoring pundits are wrong! These 'depreciation tables' usually refer to a car's 'retained value' AFTER 3 YEARS, so if you keep your MINI longer, you should see a better return on it in comparison to other makes when you trade-in or sell. This also probably depends on where or to whom you trade or sell. If you decide to get rid of your MINI (or any car) after only a few months, all you're doing is taking that big initial depreciation 'hit' for no return, you're not getting the benefit of your £150.00 'TLC' Servicing, you've also paid the rip-off 'Delivery/Number Plates' charge, and if you go and buy another new car after all that, you're doing the same all over again. Mental. So as for MINIs 'Dropping like a stone' - probably not as fast as the other stones - even ones with Honda badges!

Unless you have a VERY good reason (like Craig) for getting rid of a brand new MINI after a few months, you'd be as well driving along the road and flinging handfulls of £20 notes out of the window. As I said before, you pays your money.... By the way, if you're going to do the £20 note thing, make sure I'm behind you with a big net. Well two - one for your money and one for you!