PDA

View Full Version : Changing Gears R56 S

N12 JLK
7th May 2008, 07:51 PM
Tonight I went out to the petrol station and pulled away heading towards a roundabout and went down from 3rd to 2nd gear, now the gear was fully engaged and when I took my foot off the clutch it still sounded as though the 2nd gear wasn't engaged. I went up and down the gears again and it didn't happen , I went out for a quick spin again to see if it would do it but nothing. I was wondering if any other R56 S drivers have had this or is it a one off.

Jason

The Dogfather
7th May 2008, 09:51 PM
Not had that yet, but I did have the diesel sound today. I asked the guy at the dealership, he said it was the direct injection system.

Craig
7th May 2008, 10:28 PM
Hi Jason,

I think this sounds like what I had on both of my S's. It happened when changing down to 2nd from 4th or 3rd... the Gear was engaged OK, but when you lifted the clutch it made a grinding noise before the clutch was fully engaged...:rolleyes: :frown:

Hope you don't have this as they changed the flywheel and clutch on mine and if fixed if for a while, but it came back. I believe it is another "characteristic" as MINI would like to call it that they still don't have a proper fix for :ragin: :ragin:

best of luck.:yes nod:

Craig
7th May 2008, 10:29 PM
Not had that yet, but I did have the diesel sound today. I asked the guy at the dealership, he said it was the direct injection system.

Well done your dealer for telling you a pack of lies.... MINI are aware of the problem but don't know how to fix it... and it's not the direct injection system causing the noise... Just ask Marky...;)

Sorry jason... :off topic:

FergusM
8th May 2008, 09:06 AM
I get that now and again...used to be able to get it when car was cold and went to 40mph and then tried to select 2nd. It was due to go into get looked at and then stopped doing it...repeatably. Now it does it once in a blue moon. Sure there is a thread on mini2 about it...with no definitive 100% cure.

Mine, if it does do it, only does it the once and then will not do it again. Can occasionally get it to do same going from 4th to 3rd but at higher speeds.

Was talk of a modified clutch but never heard of this mbeing released. And until a 100% fix is released I am not really interested in letting a garage loose on my car.

N12 JLK
8th May 2008, 11:23 AM
cheers for the replys folks, hope its a one off

FergusM
8th May 2008, 04:11 PM
Mmmm..i doubt it, and once you have heard it once you'll probably start to hear it more often. Try the going to 40mph and going for second...see if you can get it to do it each time the car is cold. At least if you can you have something that the dealer might be able to work on.

With mine it does not always do it so knowing my luck they would never get it to make the noise.