PDA

View Full Version : Quick question...

Burple
7th May 2008, 10:09 AM
Thinking about giving the car it's 6 monthly Claybar and wax treatment ;) soon..

Where's the best place online to buy the required wax etc? I had a wee look round some of the threads cos I remember some of you guys mentioning a couple of places before, but I couldn't find any of them! :smilewinkgrin:

Any recommendations as to the best wax to go for?
The car'll be getting clayed, then some Autoglym SRP... then a nice wax of some sort... (thought about just some AG EGP, cos I have some, but I want MORE!!! Bwah ha ha ha....)

I know there's a claybar kit in Halfrauds.. but feck that. All I need is the clay, got all the rest and I ain't paying £23 for a clay bar!! lol :p

Cheers guys!

N12 JLK
7th May 2008, 10:13 AM
Im using Zymol Carbon at the moment and its great , will come up superb on your dark purple. £46 a tub

Craig
7th May 2008, 10:34 AM
Euan,

a few websites...

www.polishedbliss.co.uk
www.detailedobsession.co.uk
www.cleanyourcar.co.uk
www.elitecarcare.co.uk

I have used all of them and had very good service from all of them. Detailed obsession even send you instructions on how to use all of the products you buy from them - nice touch :thumbs up:

I would go for a paste wax in a tub (Jason has the Zymol one which is very good) however if you want a cheaper one, but in my opinion gives very good results, then try Collinite 476s. I think I got that from Cleanyourcar.. ;) It was only about £14 for the tub... :smilewinkgrin:

best of luck. :yes nod:

Scottie
7th May 2008, 10:43 AM
I use

http://www.motorgeek.co.uk/

they are very good and super fast delivery.

also

http://www.carwashnwax.co.uk/

also local guy knows his stuff. did you know chemical guys make all poorboys stuff.

If you really want to make a good job of your car Burple you have to look at everything not just what is the best wax to use.

It's all in the preperation. I can't praise jetseal109 highly enough as a sealant. I would say your autoglym polish is fine enough as a polish and as for waxes well depends on your budget.

Burple
7th May 2008, 11:18 AM
Im using Zymol Carbon at the moment and its great , will come up superb on your dark purple. £46 a tub

<Splutter> :eek::eek::eek: There goes the cuppa all over the keyboard!!

Wow.. I dunno if I'm THAT keen ;):D

I mean.. it's only for the Thistle run... ;):p:D

Burple
7th May 2008, 11:24 AM
Cheers guys! I'll check out all the links this afternoon (boss is off on a course ;))

I don't want to go mental on it, but it needs clayed and a good polish. and while I'm at it, it could do with a good waxing to keep up the shine a bit.. That's about the limit really..
Got plenty of trim detailer, Tyre stuff etc, but I've never really had the time to wax it properly before, so that's the next challenge. See how I get on by hand this time (fnar).. then I might graduate to a machine polish if I'm feeling brave next time.. :D

ianking
7th May 2008, 12:13 PM
If you want just the clay then try eBay for one of the Sonus clay bars. If you are not machine polishing afterwards then make sure you just use a very mild/light clay as anything more will cause marring on the paint which can only be removed with a machine.

Autoglym SRP will be fine as a polish as it contains polymers which will hide swirls and fine scratches for a month or so.

For a cheaper wax you could try Meguiars #16 wax, can be found on eBay easily, about £10-£14 per tub or as Craig says you could get Colinite. Collinite is very durable. You dont get quite as deep a shine as other waxes but it lasts ages on the paint. Water beads for a good couple months.

For your dark purple car it would look amazing if you got some purple haze dodo juice wax. I think its about £30. the depth of shine will be top notch.

Burple
7th May 2008, 02:13 PM
If you want just the clay then try eBay for one of the Sonus clay bars. If you are not machine polishing afterwards then make sure you just use a very mild/light clay as anything more will cause marring on the paint which can only be removed with a machine.

Yus.. it was a very mild Meguirs one I used last time :cool::D

For your dark purple car it would look amazing if you got some purple haze dodo juice wax. I think its about £30. the depth of shine will be top notch.

Excellent news.. I saw that stuff too..
I might skip the new polish then, and carry on as always with the SRP, and get my mitts on some Purple Haze. :cool: Cheers!
Seems to be about £32 on Detailed Obsession.. might just go for that :D
and see what it can do..
I take it layering the Dodo Juice won't be a problem?

ianking
7th May 2008, 03:37 PM
Layer on 24 hours appart I would think.

Burple
7th May 2008, 04:46 PM
Right.. sensible(ish) hat on.. Ordered some Collinite and a bottle of Black Wow... ;) couldn't really justify £30-odd for some wax this month! :D
If it's nice this weekend, I'll get stuck in and chuck up some pics after it's done :cool:

Gismo
10th May 2008, 08:41 AM
Ewan, i've got a clay bar you can have, i've never used it, bought it in a moment of madness :eyes up:
I'm sure it's Sonus

Burple
14th May 2008, 02:35 PM
Ewan, i've got a clay bar you can have, i've never used it, bought it in a moment of madness :eyes up:
I'm sure it's Sonus

Ooh, that would be cool if you still have it.. although I did the car over the weekend (and a mate's Elise :cool:;)) and it's silky smooth again :cool:

The Clay was a loverly shade of brown after I'd finished :eyes up::D