PDA

View Full Version : JCW exhaust back box blown AGAIN

Ivano
5th May 2008, 07:22 PM
Well the MINI Cooper was in for a service today and i had reported that i felt the baffles were rattling in my JCW box. Well they came back to report that the baffles were breaking down inside the box and would need replacing.

This is the second JCW exhaust i have had in 25,000 miles and both blown for the same reason. However it turns out that i'm out of waranty as it is just over a year since it was replaced last time and you only get 1 years warranty on Parts.

I do not fancy forking out big ££££ to replace with like for like JCW back box. I am now considering going down the Play MINI route which i know alot of you guys are running.

Do you recommend? Does it sound so much better than JCW? I suppose it is a much cheaper option. I particularly like the way the exhaust seems to sit on the car at the back with the larger slash cut end compared to the JCW item i currently run.

Where is best place to get one and is a Link Pipe required?. I believe you get Silenced and Unsilenced?? What is best recommended?

Sweeney
5th May 2008, 07:57 PM
The JCW baffles on mine went within 6months (roughly 600miles) first time then the replacement went within weeks of being fitted which cant have been any more than 500miles...

Cant go wrong with playmini and as youll be going down the aftermarket route, i'd suggest going for a pipercross viper induction kit, the noise and slight power gains over the jcw will keep you smiling ;) :D

Craig
6th May 2008, 09:41 AM
Well, what can I say - this only proves what a few of us were saying in the JCW Sound Kit thread... There is something wrong with the back box for it to fail so regularly. :ragin:

Well Ivan - looks like your going to join the ned brigage (if you listen to Ian King ;) )

Ok, now for the good news.... The playmini sounds SOOOO much better. Go for the unsilenced front part (PMB002) from memory and get the slash cut back box. As others can confirm (incl Burple and Gaj) they have exhausts that are a good few years old and they have not failed. :thumbs up: :thumbs up: Should cost around £220 to £250 delivered

You can buy them HERE (http://www.plminishop.com) :D or from Playmini direct

Burple
6th May 2008, 09:58 AM
What he says!! ^

lol. No but seriously, it sounds loads better, get the one WITHOUT the extra silencer, slash cut.

I've had mine since 2003, it's been on 2 cars, My old Cooper and my current One. It's done well over 60k miles now, still solid and shiny :cool::D
The only thing that's gone wrong is that the mild steel clamp holding the two separate pipes together fell apart, nothing to do with the PM tho, just the mild steel rotting away with age! :thumbs up: IMO, the best mod you can make for the money!

Scottie
6th May 2008, 10:18 AM
Actually I was following a Mini on Sunday and I've got to say it had the best sounding exhaust I've ever heard todate.

I think it was tonyjac (username not to sure) chilli red Cooper S. No idea of the make of his exhaust but it was sounding great.:cool:

Burple
6th May 2008, 11:35 AM
I think that's a Playmini S Exhaust? same as Elfmans? I may be wrong of course! :p:D:D:D
He's got the manifold changed as well I think? that makes a fair difference!

Craig
6th May 2008, 12:46 PM
I think that's a Playmini S Exhaust? same as Elfmans? I may be wrong of course! :p:D:D:D
He's got the manifold changed as well I think? that makes a fair difference!

hey hey short stuff.. you right - you are wrong.. :smilewinkgrin: sort of... ;)

Tony's is the full JCW manifold and exhaust. He got the car from John Cooper Garages before they closed. It's the full monty JCW motor. :thumbs up:

Burple
6th May 2008, 12:53 PM

Tony's is the full JCW manifold and exhaust. He got the car from John Cooper Garages before they closed. It's the full monty JCW motor. :thumbs up:

Fair enough :D:D but it's 'Proper' JCW stuff!
Every time I'm reminded that the JCW place has shut dowon it makes me sad. That was an awesome place. Only visited once, but wow..

Scottie
6th May 2008, 01:25 PM

so JCW rule then:moonie: :moonie:

Craig
6th May 2008, 01:35 PM
so JCW rule then:moonie: :moonie:

eh... Naw... you've obviously missed what was said in the first post... :rolleyes: ;)

Ivano
6th May 2008, 01:37 PM
Well, what can I say - this only proves what a few of us were saying in the JCW Sound Kit thread... There is something wrong with the back box for it to fail so regularly. :ragin:

Well Ivan - looks like your going to join the ned brigage (if you listen to Ian King ;) )

Ok, now for the good news.... The playmini sounds SOOOO much better. Go for the unsilenced front part (PMB002) from memory and get the slash cut back box. As others can confirm (incl Burple and Gaj) they have exhausts that are a good few years old and they have not failed. :thumbs up: :thumbs up: Should cost around £220 to £250 delivered

You can buy them HERE (http://www.plminishop.com) :D or from Playmini direct

Thanks Craig.. I think a Play MINI Slash Cut is coming my way in the next couple of weeks.

I have lost all confidence in the JCW Back Box. Last time it was replaced free of charge under warranty which was great but there is no way im paying big money out of my own pocket now for something that in a few months is likely to fail again

Anybody know anyone good (Garages) in the Glasgow/Paisley area for perhaps fitting the Play MINI exhaust once i order it in a couple of weeks time?

Craig
6th May 2008, 01:46 PM
sorry, can't recommend a garage in your area, but a garage local to me who I have used for 18 years could do the job for you. If your stuck let me know. they are just off the A80, so easy to find. :smilewinkgrin:

Crombers
6th May 2008, 05:36 PM
Actually I was following a Mini on Sunday and I've got to say it had the best sounding exhaust I've ever heard todate.

I think it was tonyjac (username not to sure) chilli red Cooper S. No idea of the make of his exhaust but it was sounding great.:cool:

Nope, not for me. Great sounding car as it is it just aint a patch on the Elfmeisters full Playmini system ;)

Ivano
6th May 2008, 07:25 PM
sorry, can't recommend a garage in your area, but a garage local to me who I have used for 18 years could do the job for you. If your stuck let me know. they are just off the A80, so easy to find. :smilewinkgrin:

:thumbs up: :thumbs up: Will keep that in mind.

Ivano
3rd June 2008, 07:38 PM
Well after complaining to MINI about the fact that 2 JCW Back Boxes had blown within 2 1/2 years and only after 25,000 miles and the fact that they would not cover under Warranty as apparently you only get 1 Years Warranty on a Replacement Warranty Part, MINI have eventually decided to replace Free Of Charge as a Good Will Gesture and also include the labour cost aswell. So i'm chuffed to bits, just goes to show if you put a bit of pressure on the Manufacturers sometimes and i mean SOMETIMES it pays off.

Thanks to my dealer Harry Fairbairn for all their help in fighting the claim partly on my behalf.:thumbs up::thumbs up:

New JCW box has been ordered i believe and should be fitted on the car next week, or until it blows again........

Craig
3rd June 2008, 07:42 PM
Good News Ivan - if only it was as easy to get £20K back for a faulty R56S... :eyes up::shut up::argh::moonie:

Hope it all works out for you :thumbs up:

Ivano
3rd June 2008, 07:45 PM
Good News Ivan - if only it was as easy to get £20K back for a faulty R56S... :eyes up::shut up::argh::moonie:

Hope it all works out for you :thumbs up:

Cheers...

And i know what a fight a had over something worth just £350 odds... so really pleased that i won this one.

Crombers
4th June 2008, 08:04 AM
New JCW box has been ordered i believe and should be fitted on the car next week, or until it blows again........

Good news, best of luck with this part :rolleyes:.

We will however keep the Playmini door open for you as you may pop back :eyes up::thumbs up:

Wul
5th June 2008, 09:10 AM
Or how about ordering the Playmini, when the car goes into have the JCW fitted, get them to fit that instead and then sell the JCW one to recoup the cost of the Playmini! :p

Worth a shot eh?

And i'm on my 2nd JCW back box - first one failed within a week of butying the car from Eastern - it's lasted over a year this time though <touches oak tree>