PDA

View Full Version : My first detailing report

AndyP & Lenore
2nd May 2008, 07:40 PM
After a few months of gathering lots of info, advice and basic know-how, today I finally got stuck into our Chilli Red R53.

In all fairness, the car wasn't in a bad state. Or so I thought, until I polished it up! The paintwork has been looked after by the previous owner who was clearly a two-bucket system user - as we are. But there were lots of very fine swirl marks and a couple of gentle scratches in a couple of places, so I decided a couple of weeks ago to go the whole hog on this polishing malarky and buy a Maguires Detailing machine.

Products used...

Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II car shampoo
Autosmart Tardis tar and grime remover
3M Masking tape (Blue stuff)
Menzerna 106F finishing polish
Blackfire Wet Diamond Carnuba Wax
Black Wow
Autoglym Bumper Car - for the tyre side walls
About 4 billion microfiber cloths - Lenore is not best pleased at the amount of washing to do.:blush: :laugh:
Autoglym glass polish

And what I did with all that stuff is....

1. Rinsed the car down with a power washer.
2. Using two bucket method and Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II shampoo the car was shampooed one side at a time, rinsing each panel as I went along as it was a hot day (at times) and the suds would dry in otherwise.
3. Rinsed the whole car using the sheeting method, allowing the water to sheet of each panel.
4. Sprayed the car one panel at a time with Autosmart Tardis to remove all tar and tree sap deposits. Wiping each panel down after soaking for 5 mins or so.
6. Washed car again, using sheeting method to rinse again.
7. Dried car with microfiber cloths from Costco.
8. Stood back and watched rain soak car.
9. Dried car again.
10. Stood back and watch rain soak car.
11. Dried car again.
12. Stood back and watc.......
17. Dried car yet again.
18. Taped up bumpers and light area's to prevent polishing over.
19. Using the Maguires detailing machine, I got stuck into polishing the paintwork. Putting a cross of polish on the foam pad, dabbing that pad onto the car in several places on the one panel. Then I started on a slow speed, working up to a high (but not highest) speed. I also sprayed the pad and the car bodywork with a little Maguires quick detailer to give better lubrication to the foam pad.
20. After polishing each panel, I wiped the panel down completely before moving onto the next panel.
21. Repeat for each panel including the roof.
22. At one point I did try to turn the machine down from medium speed to low speed, but turned the dial the wrong way. The result can be seen in one of the photo's. Frikking polish went everywhere. Splattered all over my leg, my eyes, right up the side of the car, onto the roof and over Lenore who was busy waxing the other side of the car. A lesson learned.:blush:
23. Once all polished, stripped off the tape and wiped whole car down again to get rid of residue polish.
24. Stood back and discovered that despite masking off the bumpers, I still managed to get it all over the bumpers, the roof trim line, the front grilles, etc., etc. Made mental note to do a bit more masking next time.
25. While I was finishing off polishing Lenore got started on waxing with the Blackfire. In all, 3 coats of blackfire went on all panels.
26. Black Wow treated all the bumpers. it seems to have taken the polish off. Either that, or it's making a good job of masking it. I may get up in the morning to find it's all showing through again.
27. Treated the tyre side walls to the Autoglum bumper care - looks good for at least 20 mins - long enough to take photo's.
28. While I was doing the tyres, Lenore was doing the windows with the Autoglym glass polish.
29. Took photo's - see below.

Lessons learned:

A) The Maguires detailing machine is god. The crap it took off the car, the depth of shine it gave the paintwork and the speed it did all this in, there is no way you could get the same result by hand. Aside from my mishap setting the machine going too fast one time, it was really quite easy to use. What I did learn is that, it is OK to put it on top speed, but you have to build up to it, and it MUST be turned up to top speed while the pad is on the car. And that is a three-handed job, because when you turn the speed up the thing shakes like buggery and you need two hands to keep it steady. So I had to keep asking Lenore to turn the dial at the back to speed it up. Team-work rules.

B) More masking. I really should have spent more time masking more black bits off. It would have made the job easier in the end.

Results:

I am very happy with the results. I think it has really brought the red out of the paintwork. The car has never looked - simply put - to shiny! There are still swirls, but nothing like as many as before, and I think I will be able to completely remove them next time, but using the machine faster for more of the time. It's just a case of getting used to this new tool.

Even Lenore (who is a true believer in the Diamondbrite discipline) is seriously impressed.

Ok. Enough ramblings....

The photo's follow.

A.

PS: If anyone dares to say it doesn't look any different from before to after, I shall visit them in the small hours and stick a bat up their night-dress.:hand:

AndyP & Lenore
2nd May 2008, 07:43 PM
The Before Pics

http://www.reachercreatures.com/r53polished/R53polished01.JPG

http://www.reachercreatures.com/r53polished/R53polished02.JPG

http://www.reachercreatures.com/r53polished/R53polished03.JPG

AndyP & Lenore
2nd May 2008, 07:44 PM
The During Pics

http://www.reachercreatures.com/r53polished/R53polished04.JPG

Sheet rinsing
http://www.reachercreatures.com/r53polished/R53polished05.JPG

http://www.reachercreatures.com/r53polished/R53polished06.JPG

AndyP & Lenore
2nd May 2008, 07:47 PM
Masking off
http://www.reachercreatures.com/r53polished/R53polished07.JPG

Dabs of polish
http://www.reachercreatures.com/r53polished/R53polished08.JPG

Whoooops - machine got away from me there.:blush:
http://www.reachercreatures.com/r53polished/R53polished09.JPG

AndyP & Lenore
2nd May 2008, 07:48 PM
Very happy with these results

http://www.reachercreatures.com/r53polished/R53polished10.JPG

http://www.reachercreatures.com/r53polished/R53polished11.JPG

http://www.reachercreatures.com/r53polished/R53polished12.JPG

http://www.reachercreatures.com/r53polished/R53polished13.JPG

http://www.reachercreatures.com/r53polished/R53polished14.JPG

http://www.reachercreatures.com/r53polished/R53polished15.JPG

http://www.reachercreatures.com/r53polished/R53polished16.JPG

Bumble
2nd May 2008, 08:17 PM
Aaahhhhh ... my eyes - I'm blinded by sparkle-ness ...

Sportspack Mark
2nd May 2008, 08:24 PM
would you come use that gear on my ONE pleeeeeeeeeease :D

Gismo
2nd May 2008, 08:26 PM
Oh oh, i'm in the wrong place, slams door on the way out :shut up:

Neil and Lorna
2nd May 2008, 08:50 PM
Very Very Nice :cool: :cool: needed the sunglasses to veiw them pics :) :)

L

Craig
2nd May 2008, 09:13 PM
Top Job Mr P, however you are causing me to look at buying more detailing stuff... my car looks good, but you can always make it better...:thumbs up:

Red does look superb after some good elbow grease.. :smilewinkgrin:

Scottie
2nd May 2008, 09:14 PM
I'm exhausted from just reading your report car looks great:thumbs up:

Scottie
2nd May 2008, 09:18 PM
Andy did you wipe over the black wow after application with damp towel and then buff dry.???

AndyP & Lenore
2nd May 2008, 09:20 PM
Andy did you wipe over the black wow after application with damp towel and then buff dry.???

He's playing COD4 just now, I'm sure he'll reply later.:smilewinkgrin:

ianking
2nd May 2008, 09:29 PM
Looks good Mr P.

Such a deep shine.

If you want your tires to bling then the next time you order from polished bliss get some black fire tire gel. Its great stuff. Doesnt spin off onto pintwork like most other do. Lasts longer than all others I have tried as well.

MINI William
2nd May 2008, 09:32 PM
looking good:thumbs up: i always want to have my car sparkling but with where i live it would last untill i got to the bottom of the road with all the tractors going by etc:argh: :argh: :argh:

Colin
2nd May 2008, 09:58 PM
Nice Andy VERY shiny :cool: It's a good feeling when you've spent ages cleaning your car the end result is very satisfying. :D

Sportspack Mark
2nd May 2008, 10:06 PM
So would you recommend me to go and spend my hard earned on a megs polisher?

AndyP & Lenore
2nd May 2008, 11:21 PM
Aaahhhhh ... my eyes - I'm blinded by sparkle-ness ...

Sorry about that Lynn. I guess I should have put a warning at the start of the thread.:cool:

would you come use that gear on my ONE pleeeeeeeeeease

Now I'm sure there's no need for that. From what I recall you go even more obsessive in your detailing sessions.:hand:

Oh oh, i'm in the wrong place, slams door on the way out

Bite me baldy.:laugh:

Very Very Nice. needed the sunglasses to veiw them pics :)

L

It's worse (better) when seeing it in the flesh.:cool:

Top Job Mr P, however you are causing me to look at buying more detailing stuff... my car looks good, but you can always make it better...:thumbs up:

Red does look superb after some good elbow grease..

There's no doubt it can still be better than what I (we) have done today. Still a few swirls.

I'm exhausted from just reading your report car looks great:thumbs up:

I do tend to waffle.:blush:

No Fi. Should I have? Never done that really.:confused:

Looks good Mr P.

Such a deep shine.

If you want your tires to bling then the next time you order from polished bliss get some black fire tire gel. Its great stuff. Doesnt spin off onto pintwork like most other do. Lasts longer than all others I have tried as well.

Message from Lenore: "He's not spending any more frikking money on car detailing stuff. End of.":ragin:

So I guess that's a no Ian.:blush:

Nice Andy VERY shiny :cool: It's a good feeling when you've spent ages cleaning your car the end result is very satisfying. :D

Very satisfying indeed. Took 6 hours in total, including rain stoppages. But at least I didn't have to suffer Cliff Richard signing from the terraces.

So would you recommend me to go and spend my hard earned on a megs polisher?

Definitely, if you are into polishing your car. Admittedly, I have no frame of reference from hand polishing - never done it. But I can see the results I got from the machine, and I love it!:thumbs up:

Everyone's kind comments

Many thanks to everyone for their kind comments.

A & L:D

N12 JLK
3rd May 2008, 09:39 AM
Looks great. Next one is a Chilli Red, thats decided.

Oh Andy, is that a football flying over the conifers from the kids next door. Watch out:ragin:

Sheilz
3rd May 2008, 01:37 PM
Looks mint. Chilli does look amazing when its this bling bling.:thumbs up::D

Ivano
3rd May 2008, 04:02 PM
Yeah.. Great Job. Its amazing how the red colour can come up after a good polish. I used a Clay Bar and Gold Class Wax last weekend on my Sister's red 'S' and achieved similar results although i don't think it was a shiney as yours...:thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
3rd May 2008, 04:10 PM
Cheers Ivano!

Never been keen on the idea of claying to be honest. It seems just too.... harsh, to me.

Under advice from The King Of Shine (aka Ian King) I used Autosol Tardis which, when you spray it on, you can literally see the tar dripping off the car.

A.:thumbs up:

Crombers
4th May 2008, 12:37 AM
Well done mate, nice & sparkly (too much time on his hands :eyes up: ) yer a legend :thumbs up:

V12MSM
23rd May 2008, 09:51 AM
Great work Andy, looks superb :thumbs up:

When you giving the R56 a once over?

AndyP & Lenore
23rd May 2008, 07:34 PM
Great work Andy, looks superb :thumbs up:

When you giving the R56 a once over?

Cheers.

However, the R56 has Jewelultra Diamonbrite paint protection on it, so no detailing in the true sense for that car.:hand:

Believe me I've asked, but I'm not allowed to rip it off and start afresh.:ragin:

A.:D

monkimagic
24th May 2008, 12:16 AM
Looking good :thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
24th May 2008, 12:18 AM
Looking good :thumbs up:

Thank you my caravan-hating-friend.:laugh::D

illegalhunter
24th May 2008, 07:19 AM
Your JCW looks the muts, puts the R56 TO SHAME

The Dogfather
24th May 2008, 07:26 AM
Andy, you missed a bit ;)

Looks good, how long did all that take you?

AndyP & Lenore
24th May 2008, 09:21 AM
Andy, you missed a bit ;)

Looks good, how long did all that take you?

Took about 6 hours from what I recall - I did it on the 2nd May - and that includes a few stoppages for rain.

john
24th May 2008, 10:10 AM
Aye OK it looks good :thumbs up:but was it worth it?

at 60 mph having fun on a B road the before and after photos would look the same:argh:

Come back here BS and tell them:eek:

Stewart
28th May 2008, 11:56 AM
Looks great! After many hours on Detailing World I take it.:D

I had been washing my car for years wrong……but have it cracked now although still hand polishing. The only thing missing was claying or cleansing the paintwork before you started polishing.

Also must be great I see your neighbour across the road has a mini as well, you pal I take it? Also noticed the garage I take it’s the usual newish build house garage that’s no good for actually putting a car in…..

I’d have added Blackfire sealant for the protection before the wax. I use the Blackfire stuff and it lasts for ages and Pete 53 wax on top just for the wet look. With the Sealant and wax washing it is so easy.

I'd add a foam stage as well. :thumbs up:

Big Gordy
28th May 2008, 01:18 PM
Also must be great I see your neighbour across the road has a mini as well, you pal I take it?

No.......that one's his as well:eyes up: Check out their avitar:thumbs up:

The Dogfather
28th May 2008, 01:37 PM
Andy owns the whole street, he makes out to be a hard pressed cinema manager when actually he's a multi-millionaire property developer. ;)

Scottie
28th May 2008, 03:07 PM
Andy owns the whole street, he makes out to be a hard pressed cinema manager when actually he's a multi-millionaire property developer. ;)

:laugh:

AndyP & Lenore
28th May 2008, 11:45 PM
Looks great! After many hours on Detailing World I take it.:D

I had been washing my car for years wrong……but have it cracked now although still hand polishing. The only thing missing was claying or cleansing the paintwork before you started polishing.

Also must be great I see your neighbour across the road has a mini as well, you pal I take it? Also noticed the garage I take it’s the usual newish build house garage that’s no good for actually putting a car in…..

I’d have added Blackfire sealant for the protection before the wax. I use the Blackfire stuff and it lasts for ages and Pete 53 wax on top just for the wet look. With the Sealant and wax washing it is so easy.

I'd add a foam stage as well. :thumbs up:

Cheers Stewart,:thumbs up:

I joined Detailing World, and to be honest I think I've posted one question. Didn't get taken very seriously so haven't posted since.:blush: I've used it for a wee bit of information, but not much. Have to credit Ian King as my main source for detailing advice.:thumbs up:

I did cleanse the car before polishing - used Atosmart Tardis. Did a great job of removing all the tree sap and tar deposits. Never been keen on the whole claying idea. Just seems too harsh to me.:hand:

As others have said, the Blue MINI is ours as well. The red MINI is actually our "classic". A MINI to hobby over, so to speak. And you're spot on, our garage is so narrow, we can't even fit the MINI in it and still expect to get out the doors. Ridiculous.:eyes up:

I may just look at using a sealant next time, after polishing, before waxing. Heard a few folk talk of the protection a sealant gives. And a foam applicator is on the cards. I think the conversation went something like this, ME: "Thinking of getting one of those foam guns for cleaning the car with". Lenore: "You gotta be sh*tt*ng me! Have you not spent enough on detailing cr@p recently?":hand: She then shuffled off mumbling something under her breath about how it would have been cheaper to Diamondbrite two cars for the price of all the "cr@p" I've spent on detailing "sh*t".:eyes up:

Go figure.

Cheers,

AndyP & Lenore
28th May 2008, 11:45 PM

I wish.:ragin::moonie::D

Scottie
29th May 2008, 12:06 AM
If your going the sealant route then it has to jetseal109. I can't convey just how good this product is. Has been the best product I've bought and I've bought a few.

Stewart
29th May 2008, 09:13 AM
Yeah I had the strange idea of reading all about the good reviews on the jetseal and agreeing that it must be great then went and bought the Blackfire stuff.:eyes up: Mind you I cant complain I’ve redone the car last week and it beads like crazy just with the sealant and looks great, just got to get a nice dry day this week to give it a wash and add the wax.

Have to take a wee look at the Atosmart Tardis,
Give it four or five weeks and add some sealant on it then next time add the wax again.