PDA

View Full Version : Got a wee dilemma.....

Fairy
30th April 2008, 11:17 AM
I Had a black Cooper S (03 Plate) for 3 years and sold it just before xmas for a diesel 1.9 SRI Astra. Got rid of Mini coz I drive around 70 miles a day round trip to and from work in Aberdeen and was spending approx £100 a week on petrol..not including wknd road trips :eyes up:
But the fact is...it was the worst decision I have ever made!!! :argh:
AND I CANT LIVE WITHOUT MY MINI!!!!!!! :frown:

At age 24, I think Im doing ok....haven't got a mortgage wrapped around my neck yet and its great! So ive got my reasonable monthly wage to spend all on Me! :thumbs up: But the question is do i want to be spending most of my wage on constantly filling the tank and putting on 'toys' like aero kit etc on the car or should I continue saving for a place with my man....he is great and understands that I dont just want another Cooper S but i NEED another 1!!! :)

Need some opinions.....
Do I do sensilbe and boring and save or live it up with another Mini again??? :confused: (please be nice!! :o )

The Dogfather
30th April 2008, 11:21 AM
I do a similar mileage and bought a new S Clubman. I got 38mpg this morning driving sensibly. An R56 Cooper would be even cheaper to run.

Remember than diesel is currently 10 - 15% dearer than petrol at the moment, and likely to stay that way for quite some time so my 38 is nearer to 42 - 44 mpg in a diesel.

ianking
30th April 2008, 11:49 AM
I would think that a new R56 S will be better for your pocket.

I went away from mini for a wee while but then came back as I missed owning a mini. I am tempted away from mini again and I prob will buy something else for a wee while but I may go back after the next. Im always planning what my future motors will be.

I am only 25 and have owned my own place for over a year now. I pay less in a mortgage than my mates do in rent so its not all bad at all having a mortgage. I will be making equity at the end of the day and my mates are not. they are paying so much in rent that they cant afford to save up a deposit for their own place.

Fairy
30th April 2008, 11:55 AM
Ok before any1 else comments....

Another thing is I dont like the new shape Minis (R56) at all..they really dont float my boat like the older Minis and would rather keep the cr*ppy Astra than have an R56....I know Im picky :o

The Dogfather
30th April 2008, 12:17 PM
Perhaps a trip to specsavers might be in order :p :moonie::laugh:

Burple
30th April 2008, 12:18 PM
Ok before any1 else comments....

Another thing is I dont like the new shape Minis (R56) at all..they really dont float my boat like the older Minis and would rather keep the cr*ppy Astra than have an R56....I know Im picky :o

Buy an 04 /05 One, Chip it, and buy some toys for it!! :cool::D
Got 45 - 47 mpg on a recent trip to London :cool:

P.s.. saw you in yer ashtray a few weeks back on the Forfar Rd Kingsway double roundabout in Dundee :p ...well... to be fair I saw the plate and it rang a bell :D:D

Fairy
1st May 2008, 04:42 PM
Are there no more (helpful) comments :o
C'mon guys...need some help here! :confused:

monkimagic
1st May 2008, 05:04 PM
approx £100 a week on petrol..not including wknd road trips :eyes up:
But the fact is...it was the worst decision I have ever made!!! :argh:
AND I CANT LIVE WITHOUT MY MINI!!!!!!! :frown:

Seems to me that you already know what to do....Buy a Mini! Why not buy my Cooper?:yes nod:

The Dogfather
1st May 2008, 06:28 PM
Buy an old shape MINI Cooper, you'll spend more on fuel but you'll be happy.

Or, you could just buy a R56, the looks will grow on you, and you'll spend about the same on fuel as the Astra. I would say that my R56 is the best built car I've driven.

Sheilz
1st May 2008, 10:58 PM
Hi Fay, why not buy a cooper instead of the S. A nice compromise and believe me a cooper will manage the trip to Portlethen on a daily basis nae bother at a' and will greet when you pull into the drive way coz he'll just want to keep going and going and............ Just ask specy :smilewinkgrin: :laugh:

Gismo
2nd May 2008, 07:59 AM
Your only young once Fay, a Cooper will easily keep you grinning even though it doesn't have the straight line speed an S gives out.
In the twisties the Cooper will easily match an S :yes nod:

neilw
2nd May 2008, 03:55 PM
Strangely enough I've been in the same situation, changed my cooper s for an astra 1.9 cdti when I moved to montrose as I thought the trip to aberdeen every day would bankrupt me. On my way to pick up the astra from the dealer started to feel I'd made a massive mistake and after a few weeks really hated it. Just felt rubbish to drive, almost dangerous round corners compared to the mini (I've got used to it now though).

I looked at trading it in for an r56 cooper s but didn't really like it and the extra outlay to pay for it would have been loads more than my r53 would have cost me in fuel!

My girlfriend decided she could do with a car for running to the train station and stuff so I bought an r53 s that I get to use at the weekends and my girlfriend uses during the week.

I still use the astra every day :frown:. It's not that bad for travelling in, nice and quiet and has a good stereo and I only have to visit the petrol station once a week.

neilw
2nd May 2008, 04:04 PM
Oh, should add, if you go looking at trading your astra in for a mini be prepared to get some horrifically low trade in values for the astra, especially if you are doing above average mileage. I got offered £7k for a 55 plate astra sri cdti with 38k on the clock at john clarks.

Fairy
2nd May 2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks all for the advice / opinions....:smilewinkgrin:

Really dont like the R56...they just look like a Mini thats had an allergic reaction and has swollen up!!! :frown: So they are kinda outta the question...

Thought about maybe getting a Cooper instead of an S but at the end of the day I dont think I would be satisfied until I own another S.
I'll keep trawling thru the net and hopefully that dream Cooper S will come along that just fits perfectly into my life again :thumbs up: :smilewinkgrin:

To all who perhaps have a mad moment and may wish to sell their mini.......my advise is DONT DO IT!!!!! :hand: :argh:

By the way Neilw...how long ago did you sell ur Mini? I cant remeber seeing it around Montrose n thought i would have since its such a wee placey!

neilw
2nd May 2008, 07:25 PM
I was the same as you, when I was looking for another mini it had to be an r53 s.

I traded in my old mini before I moved to montrose, just got the new one in January and I'm usually in my astra at the moment. I think I'll be using it more once the schools are on holiday and the traffic in aberdeen gets a bit less stationary.

I agree with you saying people shouldn't get rid of their minis, you WILL regret it!