PDA

View Full Version : One for the X Files

The Dogfather
29th April 2008, 10:12 PM
OK, picked up the Clubman tonight and headed home to sort out the dogs. I parked on the drive and tried to lock the doors, wouldn't lock. Found the manual key and locked it, unlocked it set off the alarm. Rang MINI to find out what had gone wrong. "The key needs to be recoded dealer only" was the reply.

Nuts (actually it was a lot less polite), but hey ho I was going there anyways as they were swapping the exhaust off the mazda and I was picking up the Larini to sell on.

Took the MINI down the road to Chester-Le-Street to walk the dogs and the keys worked. Got home they didn't. Drove down the hill (400 yards) they worked, drove around the village they worked in some-places didn't in others. WTF!!!! :ragin: :argh: :frown: Then I remembered the woman at the showhouse complaining that her keys didn't work for her Cooper S.

Turns out we have a phenomenon that MINI keys don't work in Burnhope, might have summat to do with this: -

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/d.allen43/Trans_sub_pages/burnho5.jpg

The Burnhope Channel Five Transmitter

Mini Ecosse
30th April 2008, 08:13 AM
Go and wrap transmitter in tinfoil, this should screen it!:eek:
Stephen

AndyP & Lenore
30th April 2008, 08:43 AM
Shame really, 'cos no-one watches Ch5 anyway.:laugh:

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/dynamite-sam.jpg

Dont suppose Stephens or my answer is very constructive though.:blush:

A.:D

Scottie
30th April 2008, 08:54 AM
So what will you do.??? Manual lock every time at the house?

The Dogfather
30th April 2008, 09:41 AM
No, if I hold the keys near the top of the windscreen the car locks/unlocks. It must need to be as close as possible to the receiver to work.

AndyP & Lenore
30th April 2008, 03:21 PM
Paul, in that case, try sticking the key against the side of your head when you press the button. I know this sounds daft, but it really works on keys with a metal shaft. Not sure if it Will work with the plastic fob type key though.

A.

The Dogfather
30th April 2008, 04:02 PM
Yeah, I've heard that before. Weird isn't it? Probably to do with the shape of the skull directing the signal.

Burple
30th April 2008, 04:20 PM
Yeah, I've heard that before. Weird isn't it? Probably to do with the shape of the skull directing the signal.

...and if it doesn't work, at least it makes your ears flap!! :laugh::D

I don't even *WANT* to know what it does to the BACK doors!!!!!!!!! :moonie::laugh:

Mini Ecosse
30th April 2008, 04:44 PM
...and if it doesn't work, at least it makes your ears flap!! :laugh::D

I don't even *WANT* to know what it does to the BACK doors!!!!!!!!! :moonie::laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Gismo
30th April 2008, 07:06 PM
OK, picked up the Clubman tonight and headed home to sort out the dogs. I parked on the drive and tried to lock the doors, wouldn't lock. Found the manual key and locked it, unlocked it set off the alarm. Rang MINI to find out what had gone wrong. "The key needs to be recoded dealer only" was the reply.

Nuts (actually it was a lot less polite), but hey ho I was going there anyways as they were swapping the exhaust off the mazda and I was picking up the Larini to sell onSo you phoned the nice lady back and apologised :rolleyes: :moonie: :hand:

The Dogfather
30th April 2008, 08:53 PM
So you phoned the nice lady back and apologised :rolleyes: :moonie: :hand:

I was very polite to her afterall she's just working in a call centre, in fact she was very helpful.....

The impolite language came as I stomped between the car and the house a few times as I tried to get the car to unlock without setting the alarm off.

vintageb3
30th April 2008, 10:59 PM
Turns out we have a phenomenon that MINI keys don't work in Burnhope, might have summat to do with this: -

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/d.allen43/Trans_sub_pages/burnho5.jpg

Some size of a key right enough...

mark