PDA

View Full Version : JCW sound/tuning kit for R56 Cooper...

gauldrymini
29th April 2008, 12:46 PM
Does anyone know if a JCW tuning/sound kit will be released for the R56 Cooper? :confused:

Andrew

Crombers
29th April 2008, 05:25 PM
If it's anything like the R50 kit then I would'ny bother. Others that did/have fitted them will be along shorty, & I'm sure the majority will say the same. Most popular Coop mods along the 'tuning kit' theme would be to fit a 'Playmini' cat back box & panel filter/induction kit. After that you could consider 'chipping' but I have no idea how that suits the R56 as the R50 Cooper was basically a tuned MINI One and there was little to gain on that front with an R50 Coop. Those that have a R50 One have more room to play with & the performance improvements are significant I'm sure a few of our other members will testify.

Craig
29th April 2008, 06:48 PM
not heard anything yet about a sound/tuning kit for the R56.. and as Crombers says, the jcw kit for the R50 cooper was overpriced and not as good IMHO as the aftermarket stuff. Although there is always the question of warranty... ;)

Scottie
29th April 2008, 06:57 PM
Actually I disagree with the two comments above ^^^^.:hand: :hand: :shut up:

Stick with OEM much better and well worth the money IMHO.:thumbs up:

Picture it: your stopped someone comes up to you and comments on how great your car is then asks what mods you got, you answer oh I've got a playmini exhaust a whatever induction kit and they say oh right good. However if you say I have a JCW tunning kit including exhaust etc etc they say Oh Right sounds great JCWs that must be awesome.

Craig
29th April 2008, 07:00 PM
Actually I disagree with the two comments above ^^^^.:hand: :hand: :shut up:

Stick with OEM much better and well worth the money IMHO.:thumbs up:

Picture it: your stopped someone comes up to you and comments on how great your car is then asks what mods you got, you answer oh I've got a playmini exhaust a whatever induction kit and they say oh right good. However if you say I have a JCW tunning kit including exhaust etc etc they say Oh Right sounds great JCWs that must be awesome.

Sorry, Fi, but that's rubbish...:eek: Yes the JCW kit for the S is great and makes a big difference, but the quality of the JCW Sound Kit was not there... I had to get the back box replaced after 6 months (as did Sweeney I believe) and this thing that just cos it's JCW must be awesome.. not always.. :eyes up: :yes nod:

Sweeney
29th April 2008, 07:06 PM
Technically, mine went within 6months the first time :p , the new one they put on with new manifold went again within 3 weeks. I didnt bother getting it replaced though :eyes up:

As for the "JCW", a lot of people assumed mine was the dogs bollocks S, then having to correct them saying no just an exhaust, filter and remap... (Oh and badge ;) )

The noise was ok and throttle response did seem a bit better but when i put my viper on it was foookin brilliant when high in the revs.

I wouldnt count on mini doing a cooper jcw kit at all, better off going aftermarket, wont do any harm if fitted properly and decent kit.

Scottie
29th April 2008, 08:23 PM
Sorry, Fi, but that's rubbish...:eek: Yes the JCW kit for the S is great and makes a big difference, but the quality of the JCW Sound Kit was not there... I had to get the back box replaced after 6 months (as did Sweeney I believe) and this thing that just cos it's JCW must be awesome.. not always.. :eyes up: :yes nod:

rubbish no it's not. JCW is better.:hand: yes more expensive but it's a nice badge to have on the car.:moonie:

N12 JLK
29th April 2008, 08:30 PM
Fi Jason is up in Inverness tonight, but I am sure he would agree. He loved the JCW for our Cooper

MINI William
29th April 2008, 08:36 PM
I would go for JCW if they done a pack but as many of us have guessed im sure im JCW daft lol:thumbs up:

ianking
29th April 2008, 08:45 PM
I had the JCW sound kit on my Cooper and I liked it. It was nice to have the 'badge'. Plus wasnt as neddy as having a K&N and big back box in my opinion. Also when I called the insurance about it they added nothing on as it was fitted at a main dealer and is an apporoved accessory.

When I went to trade the car in there was no problem and no swapping abot of bits before it went away. The dealer was more than happy to take the car and gave me a good price as it had JCW stuff on it.

Crombers
30th April 2008, 08:09 AM
I had the JCW sound kit on my Cooper and I liked it. It was nice to have the 'badge'. Plus wasnt as neddy as having a K&N and big back box in my opinion. Also when I called the insurance about it they added nothing on as it was fitted at a main dealer and is an apporoved accessory.

When I went to trade the car in there was no problem and no swapping abot of bits before it went away. The dealer was more than happy to take the car and gave me a good price as it had JCW stuff on it.

Well everyone has their preferences but Playmini/K&N 'neddy' :frown: on a MINI, please dinna be so daft & all that '£££' just for a badge, nope not for me. I would have thought the sound comparison alone would have put most people off the Coop JCW as next to a Playmini it's bordering on the laughable.

I agree with your point re trade in's as MINI will not look at such mods favourably but in all honesty you could revert back to standard in an afternoon if need be. In addition to this there are a few of us around who intend to walk into long term ownership so the better (IMHO) quality product wins the day

Oh & my insurance company have added not a single penny to my premium thus far.

Crombers
30th April 2008, 08:12 AM

& you'd better add that it cost me £600 for 3bhp & does'nt it sound naff :thumbs up:

illegalhunter
30th April 2008, 09:53 AM
Can you really see BMW missing the boat on a revinue siurce. There wil be something sonner or later.

gauldrymini
30th April 2008, 10:01 AM
Some lively debate...

Been quoted £499 fitted for a Milltek cat back for the R56 Cooper but immediate domestic purchases look like chapping this on the head for time being.:frown:

I will wait and see what develops on JCW front...

Burple
30th April 2008, 10:12 AM
rubbish no it's not. JCW is better.:hand: yes more expensive but it's a nice badge to have on the car.:moonie:

Well.. yes.. if you're a total badge queen, and have that mentality that 'more expensive must mean it's better' then you might *think* it is.. :eyes up::frown:

But I belive if you ask anyone on here, I know which option would get the better reviews :p:p:D:D

Burple
30th April 2008, 10:13 AM
Well everyone has their preferences but Playmini/K&N 'neddy' :frown: on a MINI, please dinna be so daft & all that '£££' just for a badge, nope not for me. I would have thought the sound comparison alone would have put most people off the Coop JCW as next to a Playmini it's bordering on the laughable.

And THIS!!!! ^^ :D:D:D:D:cool:

Scottie
30th April 2008, 10:39 AM
Well.. yes.. if you're a total badge queen, and have that mentality that 'more expensive must mean it's better' then you might *think* it is.. :eyes up::frown:

But I belive if you ask anyone on here, I know which option would get the better reviews :p:p:D:D

that's Me:D :D :D :D JCW all the way boys:moonie: :moonie:

ianking
30th April 2008, 11:10 AM
that's Me:D :D :D :D JCW all the way boys:moonie: :moonie:

Me to, im a badge queen eh I mean badge King.

Burple
30th April 2008, 12:20 PM
Me to, im a badge queen eh I mean badge King.

A 'Badge queen' eh?? ;):laugh::laugh:

...and I didn't think you swung that way :D:D:D:laugh::laugh::moonie:

<ahem>:off topic: lol..