PDA

View Full Version : Optimax or normal unleaded?

Eggy7496
24th April 2008, 06:41 PM
Hi Guys,

Just wondered, are we advised at all to use shell optimax (or BP equivalent) in the cooper s? Just want to make sure i start off properly!

I'm not sure all the ins and outs of the optimax, but i believe its higher in sulphur and correct me if am wrong but improves the combustion or something......? I'm not very techy but wished i was lol :)

Thanks

EJ

Craig
24th April 2008, 07:33 PM
no need to use super unleaded in the cooper s. you can if you want, but it's not "required" :thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
24th April 2008, 08:10 PM
you can if you want, but it's not "required" :thumbs up:

However.....

We use Shell V-Power or Tesco's Super Unleaded all the time. We feel it does make a difference to the engine power output. Probably V-Power more so than Tesco's.

I know Fiona (Scottiedoop) has some knowledge and opinions on this, she may be along soon to enlighten you.

A.:D

FergusM
24th April 2008, 08:12 PM
I always run v-power, tried a tank of normal stuff and just felt engine did not run as smooth.

Scottie
24th April 2008, 08:47 PM
As I understand it listening to my previous work buddies. The higher the octane the quicker it pushes the pistons down the chamber.

V power has a good octane rating and additives Tesco's has good octane rating but no additives.

All Petrol is ULSP meaning ultra low sulphur petrol or ULSD ultra low sulphur diesel.

Petrol from major oil companies are refined to British Standard and beyond.

Petrol purchased from third parties are refined to Bristish Standard and nothing else.

However for the moment just buy where ever they have stock.

RyanK
25th April 2008, 12:01 AM
Same as Andy, V Power or Tesco 99...more solely V power:smilewinkgrin:

My exhaust pops a little bit with High octane fuel, im sure you guys with the S's must also!

AndyP & Lenore
25th April 2008, 12:38 AM
However for the moment just buy where ever they have stock.

Ain't that the truth.:thumbs up: :frown:

mini saltire
25th April 2008, 08:45 AM
Ain't that the truth.:thumbs up: :frown:

We always use V-Power in the race cars, we have experimented with other fuels but nothing gives the same zippppp.

:off topic: My race mechanic turned up to fuel station with some Jerry Cans for the 5 cars that he is running and just about got lynched for 'bunkering fuel' he had to put all 5 cars on a trailer and brim them all one by one:argh: :argh: :argh: ....It reminds me of Mad Max films.... without all the dust and bald people.:D

stoney
25th April 2008, 06:18 PM
v power all the way makes a big diff with the jcw kit they recomed 97 or over to get the best out of the kit :smilewinkgrin: :smilewinkgrin: and boy dose the shell it runs it better than any other but also burns quicker :mad: not used tesco as there is not one neer me to try :eek:

Neil and Lorna
25th April 2008, 07:11 PM
V Power for us to.:thumbs up:
Also use it in the Lexus RX 300, seem to get more miles to the tank full. :D

Neil.:smilewinkgrin:

:off topic: also our local garage aren't letting you fill cans either.
I asked what about petrol for my lawn mower only need a couple of litres.
No was the answer.
Lornas solution take the feckin lawn mower in and fill up.:thumbs up:

Neil.:D :D

Sheilz
26th April 2008, 06:08 AM
v power all the way makes a big diff with the jcw kit they recomed 97 or over to get the best out of the kit :smilewinkgrin: :smilewinkgrin: and boy dose the shell it runs it better than any other but also burns quicker :mad: not used tesco as there is not one neer me to try :eek:

M uses V power in his civic swears that it improves mpg. I use ord unleaded. V power too expensive given the amount of fuel I go through.

ELFMAN
26th April 2008, 08:26 PM
Always 'Shell V-Power' for me too. Plus the fact I get a free Ferrari every time I go to the petrol station! It's all very subjective, but I reckon my car has a wee bit more 'oomph' and just feels sweeter than on 'normal' stuff - and as Stoney said, with the JCW 210 they recommend higher octane fuel. The electronics are so sophisticated these days that I'm sure the new Turbo S will run fine on 95 octane, but it might just run better on 97/98....