PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma Time???

gauldrymini
23rd April 2008, 01:11 PM
What to do? Sharon and I also have a Golf GTI Edition 30 and I was wondering what folk would do as the GTI is costing a "fortune" to run but a great looker and rapid as....

I quite fancy a Gen1 One/Cooper and modify it but we did see a nice Sidewalk which is also tempting:confused:

...So is it:

1: Trade in for another MINI (and cash)

2: Keep GTI and the "Status Quo"

Andrew

euan
23rd April 2008, 01:19 PM
Define fortune? I thought they were not bad on fuel? Or is it the other stuff that costs?

Gen 1 cars are great (I still reckon they are better looking ;-)) but expect about low 30MPG on it, which i guess is similar to the GTi?

I'd be tempted by a Sidewalk or a Park Lane, lovely cars.

euan
23rd April 2008, 01:25 PM
As an aside, I REALLY like the Edition 30 - there was one at the VW dealer when we picked up my girlfriends new Polo, in black. Looked stunning.

gauldrymini
23rd April 2008, 01:40 PM
Yep the Ed 30 is a looker ours is Black. MPG tends to be 28-30 but less if Sharon is driving:rolleyes:

Our R56 and Ed 30 both get around 300 miles per tank, however if you fill up on super unleaded for the Ed 30 it can cost £54:frown: The Cooper seems quite happy on normal unleaded and can be £20 cheaper...

Gismo
23rd April 2008, 01:45 PM
Don't expect to be able to mod a Cooper to any great degree, where the Cooper excells is that it is lighter than an S and many other marques, therefore more agile in the twisties.
Fuel consumption in spirited driving mode can be as low as your Gti

Scottie
23rd April 2008, 02:00 PM
I'd trade it in and get a Cooper D Clubman in Chilli Red with Silver Roof and Mirror Covers.:smilewinkgrin: :smilewinkgrin:

Burple
23rd April 2008, 02:02 PM
Do it! Do it!!!! :smilewinkgrin::D

Saw the GTi this morning.. in fact I'm parked behind it! lol:cool: Very nice!

I got 45+ mpg in the One on a recent trip to London, thought that wasn't too bad..
If you're going down the route of buying to mod, then you might as well try to find a decent specced One and get it Chipped. You'll get the same power as a chipped Cooper, but a much greater increase ;) Might work out a bit cheaper too, and (nowI'm never sure about this part) the One gearboxes (some of them, I can never remember which ones) are lower geared you you can almost hit 70 in Second! :cool:

The hardest part would be finding one with all the toys you want..

Duncan Stewart
23rd April 2008, 03:13 PM
The 1st Gen Coopers are great with a more "go-cart" feel that the R56 but I agree about the fuel consumption being poor.
Also having 2 minis will limit you if you need a bigger car occasionally - I agree with Fiona that a Clubman would be worth considering if you like the look of them.

Big Gordy
23rd April 2008, 03:31 PM
the One gearboxes (some of them, I can never remember which ones) are lower geared you you can almost hit 70 in Second!

Your right ohh small purple one:yes nod: 75 in second and 90+ in third from a "chipped" ONE:thumbs up:

Craig
23rd April 2008, 05:42 PM
Go For 1st Gen car, and get a facelift car.. better built and seem to be more reliable gearboxes.. :smilewinkgrin:

sedgie
23rd April 2008, 08:48 PM
i'd keep it....was in sweeneys golf edition 30....and i thought..wow great fast smooth car!....why have 2 mini's?...only my wee opionon;)

Sweeney
23rd April 2008, 08:51 PM
If you like the pace of your ed30, you'll find it hard to adjust to that of a one/cooper (remapped or not)

If it has to be a mini then id go for the one and work up from there, much better value for money with whatever you spend on it.

On my cooper which had the jcw soundkit with associated "remap" and pipercross viper, i was only managing 29-34mpg. Which is only a couple more than what im getting in my ed30... mostly ;).

gauldrymini
24th April 2008, 12:31 PM
Thanks folks for the views and opinions:) ...a mixed bag of results

I have the Ed 30 today and yep its one heck of a smooth, fast car:cool: It does gives us more options rather than just the two MINIS eg boot space / room when required, etc.

Sharon loves the GTI, so it looks like we will have to disappoint the sales guys at JC Dundee. i will just have to get on with minor modding of my Cooper, mmm i think spoiler first....

Andrew

Burple
24th April 2008, 12:40 PM
I have the Ed 30 today and yep its one heck of a smooth, fast car:cool:
Andrew

I know... ;):p
I'm parked next to the Cooper today! :D:D:D

Liking the Union Jack Valve covers. :thumbs up:

Gismo
24th April 2008, 12:50 PM
Liking the Union Jack Valve covers. :thumbs up:Put them back :hand:

Burple
24th April 2008, 02:26 PM
Put them back :hand:

Doh!! Busted!! :shut up: :D:D:D

gauldrymini
24th April 2008, 04:08 PM
Doh!! Busted!! :shut up: :D:D:D

I'll get Sharon to check the 4 caps are there!!!

Yes a nice wee touch, we also had a JCW gearknob fitted...much better than the standard knob:blush:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: