PDA

View Full Version : Itunes sharing?

euan
23rd April 2008, 08:09 AM
Hi guys,

I've got two ipods, can I share the music and video I download from Itunes between them? I know I can do this with the music I upload myself, just need to do it for everything else!

Big Gordy
23rd April 2008, 08:17 AM
Is that one for each ear:smilewinkgrin:

Gismo
23rd April 2008, 08:24 AM
The short answer is yes, you can, though how you do it is a different matter.
You'd have to set the preferences to manual, untick the auto synch.

There is also a good programme called sharepod which you install on the root of the iPod and you can use the browser as a windows explorer to add and remove to your hard drive.
Far better to have the music in a place where you want it, rather than itunes dictating

GAJ
23rd April 2008, 08:54 AM
If I understand you correctly it's very simple. Presuming the video and choons you downloaded from the iTunes Store are in your iTunes Library you simply need to plug in each iPod and 'pair' it with the library.:)

euan
23rd April 2008, 09:31 AM
Is that one for each ear:smilewinkgrin:

Yeah, stereo gone mad :-)

I've got two as I have one for the car and one for when I'm out and about.

euan
23rd April 2008, 09:35 AM
If I understand you correctly it's very simple. Presuming the video and choons you downloaded from the iTunes Store are in your iTunes Library you simply need to plug in each iPod and 'pair' it with the library.:)

Easy peasy then :D

I knew you could do that with music you upload yourself, just wasn't sure if it would do it for downloads too.

So cheers!

euan
23rd April 2008, 09:36 AM
The short answer is yes, you can, though how you do it is a different matter.
You'd have to set the preferences to manual, untick the auto synch.

There is also a good programme called sharepod which you install on the root of the iPod and you can use the browser as a windows explorer to add and remove to your hard drive.
Far better to have the music in a place where you want it, rather than itunes dictating

Will need to look into Sharepod, iTunes drives me bonkers at times. Does it also keep the listening properties in sync? I mean things like recently played, starred songs and the like?

Gismo
23rd April 2008, 09:43 AM
Will need to look into Sharepod, iTunes drives me bonkers at times. Does it also keep the listening properties in sync? I mean things like recently played, starred songs and the like?
Sharepod will not work with the latest classic ipod, as i found out :ragin:
But, providing you untick the auto sync in itunes then the listening properties will stay as is, but, it would be worth checking each iPod's preferences anyway once you've connected each one.
If you don't untick the auto sync one iPod will lose all it's files.

But, the sharepod is more than you need, do as Gaj suggests and pair that way.

I just like to be incontrol of my music, hence the sharepod and i keep all my music in folders on my hard ddrive that i have created and sorted the ay i want, not Apples way :hand:

euan
23rd April 2008, 09:53 AM
Sharepod will not work with the latest classic ipod, as i found out :ragin:
But, providing you untick the auto sync in itunes then the listening properties will stay as is, but, it would be worth checking each iPod's preferences anyway once you've connected each one.
If you don't untick the auto sync one iPod will lose all it's files.

But, the sharepod is more than you need, do as Gaj suggests and pair that way.

I just like to be incontrol of my music, hence the sharepod and i keep all my music in folders on my hard ddrive that i have created and sorted the ay i want, not Apples way :hand:

Ah, it's no use to me then as I've just got a classic!

I usually sync my music manually anyway as I'd filled the last ipod so had to be selective with my music. Have to be honest, absolutely love the classic. I thought my old (I mean old!) ipod was good but the new ones are just awesome.

Gismo
23rd April 2008, 10:06 AM
Hmm, from i can read up on, the latest sharepod, 3.8.1 works ok with the classic, but, it's your call, if you've got all your files backed up then it may be worth a try.

If it does work, i for one would not use itunes again, i used to use sharepod all the time for uploading and downloading :thumbs up: